WIKI

The Green Button has risen from the grave. Brought back to life by a few enthusiasts who think the same way you do. Help us make this site better!
gpatlanta

HTPC Specs: Show details

WIKI

Post by gpatlanta » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:25 am

I like the idea of the Wiki from the MS site, although I find the implementation of it over there to be highly un-navigatable (not a word, I know). Assuming this site does take off (going well so far), I think a wiki would be great if there is a plugin available.

Ideally it would be structured and searchable.
Greg

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:34 pm

I agree, especially seeing as the closest thing we had to a wiki - hack7mc - seems to be dead at this time.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:49 am

Ok, so I was interested enough to do some digging. There don't seem to be many options for a WIKI on top of phpbb, however there is an active integration going on with Mediawiki which looks promising. I did find another working extension for Mediawiki, but this new ones looks more promising if it keeps going. Seems like it may be enough now to use.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2099531
Greg

epete

Post by epete » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 am

Why not continue to make use of the Microsoft WiKi so one good WiKi can be built rather than multiple. Just a thought. Maybe have a direct link from this forum to the Windows Expert Wiki page.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:29 am

Because that wiki sucks. Have you tried it? There is zero organization to it at all from what I could tell and the only waybto see what was there from what I saw is to click on the expand widget and scroll. It was messy and honestly I gave up trying to check it out on the first use. Having said that, I like the idea of a useful wiki.
Greg

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:47 am

The reason this site exists is due to the frustration of many members using the new Microsoft site. We felt that there was a strong need to have a place for all those lost souls rather then just watching them drift away. The MS wiki is unfortunately not one to move forwards with.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:09 am

makryger did say about the MC wiki that's not seeing much action, we can look at doing whatever the people here want though - within reason! :D

http://wmc.wikia.com/wiki/Wmc_Wiki
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 pm

the wiki is a great resource. if anyone could take a look at the xbmc wiki page they have a nice structure going on there. easy to navigate and easy to find what you looking for. the search makes it very usable.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:11 am

Any progress in this arena guys?
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:14 am

That will be the next big push. i'm gonna have a bunch of time starting next week, so i'll get started on that then.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:16 am

Cool. I'm gonna be away from the family in a hotel for the week next week and I'll have some time in the evenings to work up some content if you'll be ready for it.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:24 am

great, i'll do what i can start it up
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:45 am

So I just checked out the Wiki at XBMC and agree it has a nice structure and content. I like the High level category feel with 1 level of sub category as topics from the main page and the further elaboration beyond that. Having said that, I don't think we need something as complex as what is provided there. Structure and clear expectations are key to a good wiki I think.

Link for anyone interested: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual
Greg

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:54 pm

makryger wrote:That will be the next big push. i'm gonna have a bunch of time starting next week, so i'll get started on that then.
Man... you are really outdoing yourself on this site .. Just wanted to stop in and say THANKS! It's nice to have a site to hang out on again that feels inviting.

Well Done! Keep up the good work.
newfiend~

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Hey guys, how we coming on the WIKI? Stuck in a hotel this week (PowerShell class) and could use a break in the evenings! LOL

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Hey Mr.Os,

It's coming along. Mr.M is working on the code. Perhaps you could assist in thoughts on the actual structure. It would be good to hear from any members interested in the WiKi on how the MC Structure should begin. Thoughts?

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:08 pm

So I've set up sort of a framework for a wiki. I am thinking it would be best to move the Wiki over to something like wiki.thegreenbutton.tv at some point, but for now, we'll use the public wikia.com.

You can access the wiki at http://wmc.wikia.com. Look down the list in the Table of Contents and see if there is anything you can speak knowledgeably about, and add a page. Then write some info on the page, maybe make a diagram or get a picture, link to some other wiki pages if possible, and link to where you can get other outside info. Then go back to the main page, and link to that page by typing in the title of your Wiki Page.

For example, I see Customizing the TV Guide, and I think... BS EPG, Guide Tool, Color-coding the guide, adding rows, adding logos, MCLv2, Creating a 'favorites' list, removing tv channels you don't get... etc. each one of these can be a brief section, some can refer to other areas (like Media Center Add-in section for MCLv2), some can refer to outside sources... like "Visit your cable companies website for a list of channels you receive"... and so on.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:19 pm

What do you mean by structure? Content wise or layout,org wise?

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:08 pm

For structure, we're referring to the content. There's a lot of area to cover here, and there may be multiple ways to organize it. I tried to layout the structure in a way I think makes sense up on the main wiki page. What we should try to avoid is the type of structure of the wiki at WEC. The information is all great, but having one section that is "How to Guide" and listing every single how to imaginable is not a great structure.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:19 pm

Yes sorry, my bad terminology. Ideally we start with a 'perfect table of contents' to branch out from there.