DTb Commercial Skip Add-in and "Suppress Not Found"

kmp14

HTPC Specs: Show details

DTb Commercial Skip Add-in and "Suppress Not Found"

Post by kmp14 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:24 pm

I am using (and enjoying) Andy VT's commercial skip add-in that works in tandem with DVRMSToolbox. The only problem I am having is that I want to disable the "Commercial File Not Found" (or whatever the wording is). There is an options to disable it in the DTb settings - "Suppress Not Found". I have checked off that option, but I continue to get the message about commercial files not being found. I saw some old threads at Andy's site, and I posted this question there with no luck. If anyone had this problem and was able to solve it, please pass the fix on! Thanks.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:28 am

You've got the right setting. Always works on mine.

Are you sure you have the latest build. Perhaps you have a build with a bug in it.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:05 pm

I'm not sure if this is the same thing that I'm thinking of, but I actually want the message to come up... the one that asks if I want to scan the show now. But the problem is with copy-protected shows... they can't be scanned so the XML file never gets created. You can create rules to prevent DTB from trying to scan (and checking for the XML file) on certain channels that are always copy protected... or you can go the route that I did. I created a little program that finds all the copy-protected shows from the previous day, and creates an empty XML file (with only the appropriate start/end tags) so that it won't prompt me on copy-protected shows. It saved me all the work of setting rules on all my copy-protected channels (which is the majority of them) and it also covers the problem where some shows are copy-protected even on channels that are not encrypted.

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:22 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I'm not sure if this is the same thing that I'm thinking of, but I actually want the message to come up... the one that asks if I want to scan the show now. But the problem is with copy-protected shows... they can't be scanned so the XML file never gets created. You can create rules to prevent DTB from trying to scan (and checking for the XML file) on certain channels that are always copy protected... or you can go the route that I did. I created a little program that finds all the copy-protected shows from the previous day, and creates an empty XML file (with only the appropriate start/end tags) so that it won't prompt me on copy-protected shows. It saved me all the work of setting rules on all my copy-protected channels (which is the majority of them) and it also covers the problem where some shows are copy-protected even on channels that are not encrypted.
Barnabas, care to share that program you created? Either the program or the source code would be even better. I am considering the same thing for my purposes, but having a head start with your app would be great.

Thanks!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:04 pm

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:21 pm

my problem is, ShowAnalyzer gets stuck and never stops processing the shows that have no commercials to skip.

My only choice at that point is to open the SA interface and manually kill what it's been doing for however many hours.

I know this has happened only because I'll go to a show that was recorded a few hours prior and it'll pop up with, no commercial file found--do you want me to process it.

So, my only choice would be to take the bother to set rules in DTB that it never looks at the movie channels.

Fortunately, I record from Starz/Encore only once in a blue moon, so it's not a huge bother for me.

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:41 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:See this post.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:54 pm

adam1991 wrote:my problem is, ShowAnalyzer gets stuck and never stops processing the shows that have no commercials to skip.

My only choice at that point is to open the SA interface and manually kill what it's been doing for however many hours.

I know this has happened only because I'll go to a show that was recorded a few hours prior and it'll pop up with, no commercial file found--do you want me to process it.

So, my only choice would be to take the bother to set rules in DTB that it never looks at the movie channels.

Fortunately, I record from Starz/Encore only once in a blue moon, so it's not a huge bother for me.
I've read lots of posts from people who switched to Commskip because SA would hang. I've never had that problem though... SA works great for me... but all of my movie channels are copy-protected, so SA can't scan them at all.

EDIT: I also have my PC set to reboot every day... so if it happened, I probably wouldn't notice.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:19 pm

The easiest way to solve this issue is in the DTB processing condition editor. You add a new condition above the every file condition that check WM/ContentProtectedPercent >0. This condition does the action create empty commercial xml file. This protects from any copy protected recordings from getting scanned and suppresses the pop up for those recordings. Let me know if you need help setting up the condition.

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

sccrgoalie1 wrote:The easiest way to solve this issue is in the DTB processing condition editor. You add a new condition above the every file condition that check WM/ContentProtectedPercent >0. This condition does the action create empty commercial xml file. This protects from any copy protected recordings from getting scanned and suppresses the pop up for those recordings. Let me know if you need help setting up the condition.
I actually set up a condition to produce a blank commercial file as described, but the problem is that it does not create that file until the processing starts, which I have configured to wait until the recording is complete...I just want to let the recording breathe a bit, give my hard drive a break, so I don't process commercials until the recording is complete. Problem is, my condition is set up for protected content AND other stuff, like sports. I often start recording a game, then jump in a little after the recording starts, in which case I still get that "Commercial File Not Found" prompt, since the blank file is not there yet, AND that "Suppress Missing" option in DTb does not work for me for some mysterious reason. Arrgghhh! Complex.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:47 pm

sccrgoalie1 wrote:The easiest way to solve this issue is in the DTB processing condition editor. You add a new condition above the every file condition that check WM/ContentProtectedPercent >0. This condition does the action create empty commercial xml file. This protects from any copy protected recordings from getting scanned and suppresses the pop up for those recordings. Let me know if you need help setting up the condition.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know that. I added that condition and I'll see how it goes. I still want to run my program though... because it cleans up the XML files after I delete a show. It looks at each XML file, and if it doesn't find a WTV file with the same name, it deletes the XML.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Yeah, your program is definitely still worthwile as the DTB's built in cleanup never seems to work properly.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:57 pm

sccrgoalie1 wrote:Yeah, your program is definitely still worthwile as the DTB's built in cleanup never seems to work properly.
I agree with that. I never could get it to clean up anything.