HD Homerun and QAM question

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
rldev

HTPC Specs: Show details

HD Homerun and QAM question

Post by rldev » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:05 pm

Is there a alternative setup for QAM Channels in Media center? QAM HD is like channel 2.1(cbs), Is there a way to edit it so it looks something like 502(hd cbs on fios)?

TheReaper

Post by TheReaper » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 pm

If you enter the channel numbers you want (like 502,504 etc) when you set up the HDHomeRun in the HDHomeRun Setup utility. You can then use the hdhomerun_wmc_sync.exe utility, which adds the channels with the numbers from setup. The catch is, you then have to disable the other numbers obtained in the scan (like 2.1, 82.34567 etc) from Media Centers tuner setup. The instructions are at: http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdho ... ions/wmc7/ (Digital Cable: Enabling Missing Channels with HDHomeRun WMC Sync).
<- My Media Center PC

rldev

Post by rldev » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks. This worked like a charm!

rldev

Post by rldev » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:22 am

I have everything working perfectly. Well except for one glaring problem....
Somehow abc HD is mapped to the Livewell channel. I tried going back into into the HD homerun setup and chose a verified wabc channel and mapped to Fios channel 507. Then I re-synced. No matter what I do 507 is the wrong channel. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Well scratch that. I tried to reset the tuners and although WMC recognizes the HD homerun, it is not picking up the tuners after setup.

twiseva

Post by twiseva » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:48 pm

I had the same issue. I went into 7MC afterwards and simply edited the channel and changed it to the real chanbel no I wanted it on -- 7MC merges the HD Home Run and the cable channels into a single channel in the guide. Very nice -- plus you can also specify priority of tuners to make sure you get HD from the HD Home Run before the SD from the analog out from the TV Settop box (Waitying on HD Home Run Prime) ...

rldev

Post by rldev » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:29 pm

twiseva wrote:I had the same issue. I went into 7MC afterwards and simply edited the channel and changed it to the real chanbel no I wanted it on -- 7MC merges the HD Home Run and the cable channels into a single channel in the guide. Very nice -- plus you can also specify priority of tuners to make sure you get HD from the HD Home Run before the SD from the analog out from the TV Settop box (Waitying on HD Home Run Prime) ...
I'm not sure I understand your solution. If go to edit the channek in WMC, it says channel 507 as it should. What is there to edit? I redid my HD homerun setup and everything has been working perfectly. Suddenly today I have a problem with channel 507 again. Now it displays Fox 5 (channel 505) even though the channel info reads WABC. At this point I'm not sure if it is a ceton or hd homerun problem.

Update:
It is definitely not the Ceton card. I disabled the HD Home tuners for channel 507. With the Tunners disable for 507, the Ceton tuner routes properly. So the question now is how do I get 507 on the HD Homerun to map properly?

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:48 pm

When you go to edit channels from the guide settings, you can enter a new channel number and it will change the # in the guide, not what is actually tuned.
If you want 507, put a 0 in the second blank. Anything .0 it is smart enough not to actually show the .0 in the guide.
I have a HVR-2250, not a HDHomeRun, so not familiar with their setup utility. But I have the same problem where the few channels picked up by an automated scan have some incorrect listings from bad PSIP metadata.

If the channel changes from being ABC to NBC from one day to the next, this is almost definately the background scan adding incorrect sources and screwing you up. (Click Edit Sources when you go to edit the channel and you should see the incorrect stuff that got merged in by the scan).

So I turned the background scan off by setting the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\BackgroundScanner\PeriodicScanEnabled registry key to 0, and added QAM channels manually.

You won't be able to enter the 4 and 5 digit subchannel numbers for FIOS with the MCE UI, but the guide editor utility I made will do it:
http://thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=97

Actually, now that you have both a Ceton and a HDHomeRun, the InfiniTV to QAM channel mapper will be a lot quicker.
But disable the background scan first or it will re-add the incorrect QAM channels overnight.
http://thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtop ... f=44&t=217

rldev

Post by rldev » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:34 pm

glugglug wrote:When you go to edit channels from the guide settings, you can enter a new channel number and it will change the # in the guide, not what is actually tuned.
If you want 507, put a 0 in the second blank. Anything .0 it is smart enough not to actually show the .0 in the guide.
I have a HVR-2250, not a HDHomeRun, so not familiar with their setup utility. But I have the same problem where the few channels picked up by an automated scan have some incorrect listings from bad PSIP metadata.

If the channel changes from being ABC to NBC from one day to the next, this is almost definately the background scan adding incorrect sources and screwing you up. (Click Edit Sources when you go to edit the channel and you should see the incorrect stuff that got merged in by the scan).

So I turned the background scan off by setting the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\BackgroundScanner\PeriodicScanEnabled registry key to 0, and added QAM channels manually.

You won't be able to enter the 4 and 5 digit subchannel numbers for FIOS with the MCE UI, but the guide editor utility I made will do it:
http://thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=97

Actually, now that you have both a Ceton and a HDHomeRun, the InfiniTV to QAM channel mapper will be a lot quicker.
But disable the background scan first or it will re-add the incorrect QAM channels overnight.
http://thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtop ... f=44&t=217
When reviewing the numbers from the source, it is definitely the wrong channel. However, I do not have:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\BackgroundScanner\PeriodicScanEnabled

All I have resembling it is: PeriodicScanIntervalSeconds

Also my system is telling me InfiniTVToQAMMapper.1.0.0.1.zip I downloaded from your post is corrupt.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 pm

It's enabled by default, so if you don't have the value, you need to add it to disable it.
I'll have to re-upload the archive later, I guess some stuff that was uploaded before the forum was upgraded got corrupted?

Edit:
re-uploaded the archive in the other thread, or grab it here:
InfiniTVToQAMMapper.1.0.0.1.zip
(106.38 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:34 am

Glugg this worked to a treat. Thank you so much!

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:37 am

So sorry about that. We knew links got corrupted but not attachments. Apologies.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

rldev

Post by rldev » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 pm

After updating my ceton firmware today. I had to go through this again. Unfortunately this great problem no longer works as it can't detect the ceton card.