Media center Alternative with PREMIUM cable support

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
matt897

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media center Alternative with PREMIUM cable support

Post by matt897 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi,

I have two OCUR ATI's (external) and I've been using MCE in Windows 7 for quite some time - when I originally built the machine it was running the horrid Vista.

My question is regarding the future of DIY DVRs and media centers.

As Windows 8 is approaching, and Media Center will be included only as an add-on 'pack' it seems that the innovation for the product has largely stopped. The last time anything has changed really was when XP was upgraded to Vista in terms of GUI.

Does anyone know of a competing software pack that can essentially not just stream my library of films and tv (which they all do) but one that has actual support for cable card tuners with DVR capability? Anyone know of anything that is coming out?

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:47 pm

Outside of Windows 7 (and embedded) there aren't a whole lot of options out there. But fortunately, the cable companies are slowly starting to catch up to Microsoft, with HD interfaces, internet/tablet streaming, multi-function DVR, and extender models. The only problem is that to get all of that would probably cost you $50 a month.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:45 pm

makryger wrote:Outside of Windows 7 (and embedded) there aren't a whole lot of options out there. But fortunately, the cable companies are slowly starting to catch up to Microsoft, with HD interfaces, internet/tablet streaming, multi-function DVR, and extender models. The only problem is that to get all of that would probably cost you $50 a month.
Hmmm... when I first started looking into a "whole home DVR" solution, I started with my cable provider, Brighthouse Networks. Their crappy solution was going to cost me an extra $82/month for five rooms with a whopping four tuners split between two DVR's... and they DON'T have a shared recording schedule! What crap. That's why I built an HTPC with Windows 7.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:10 pm

makryger is right. Check out WOW Cable's Ultra TV:

http://www.wowway.com/our-products/ultra-tv

It's not 7MC, but it is head and shoulders above the crap they used to rent out.

As far as Media Center development, look to Ceton to carry the torch on that one with the Q. While it's based on Media Center, it's technically their own baby to do whatever they want/can with.