Infinitv4 Loses CP Auth after PC Reboot

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
cclark89

HTPC Specs: Show details

Infinitv4 Loses CP Auth after PC Reboot

Post by cclark89 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Hello,

Long time lurker - first -time poster. You guys usually have discussed all the problems I have....but I'm not quite sure if my problem is comparable to the reboot issues others are having with the Infinitv4.

I've had an Infinitv4 PCIe card for a couple months after upgrading from a Hauppage OTA/QAM tuner. When it works - it is awesome, however, I feel like I'm spending more time working on it than I really should.

Every time I restart my PC I end up having to call my cable company to resend their signals...which is always a fun experience. The diagnostic tells me that I need CP Auth and really won't let me watch much of anything. Does anyone else get this?

After I learned this my solution was to let my PC run 24/7. Not my ideal solution...but it semi-works until I need to run PC maintenance. I haven't been able to find a sleep/hibernate setting that doesn't cause me to lose the CP Auth. If anyone has any solutions on that I'd be appreciative too.

I'll try and provide what info I can, (at work) if you need anything more just let me know.

ASUS M4A785M
AMD Athlon II X3
4GB Mem
1TB Storage
Windows 7 32 Bit
Located in Overland Park, KS
Using Surewest Cable

Thanks!

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Open a support ticket with us. We will get you taken care of.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Ravent

Post by Ravent » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:08 am

Wow, what a coincidence. I have this exact same problem - loses CP auth upon reboot or sleep. I also just moved to Lenexa, KS next to Overland Park. ;)

I don't use surewest however, but Time Warner.

So it isn't the cableCO. Time Warner says some ceton cards can do this and to talk to ceton. I believe TW because my Prime never has this problem.

I opened a ticket (EPP-469-63105) with ceton a hour or two ago after hours - I'm hoping they say something pleasant tomorrow.

cclark89

Post by cclark89 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:35 am

Ravent,

Does TWC use Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapters?

Ravent

Post by Ravent » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:19 am

Yes, indeed they do. I have a Cisco 1520 sitting right in front of me.

I dunno if that is what's causing it though as I never had to "re-auth" with the SD prime using the exact same TA.

I think its an issue within the iTV4.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:12 am

Folks, I don't think it has anything to do with your cable provider. My guess would be that there is something wrong with the way your PC handles sleep/shutdown. I would imagine that standby power needs to be maintained on the Ceton card to keep all the authorization stuff in your CableCARD.

This is just a wild guess though. As erkotz recommended, your best bet is to contact Ceton and ask them to help you with this problem.

Ravent

Post by Ravent » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 am

I know... I don't think it's the cableCO either as stated...
Ravent wrote:So it isn't the cableCO.
Ravent wrote:I think its an issue within the iTV4.
You guess that it's the way our PCs are shutting down/sleeping, but the Time Warner tech said he had experienced this before and had me reboot my PC with him still on the line and sure enough I lost CP auth and he had to send signal again. He recommended contacting Ceton to get a new card (which previous customers with this issue had done).

I mentioned I've already done that, but after hours and am waiting on a response.
Ravent wrote:I opened a ticket (EPP-469-63105) with ceton a hour or two ago after hours - I'm hoping they say something pleasant tomorrow.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Folks, I don't think it has anything to do with your cable provider. My guess would be that there is something wrong with the way your PC handles sleep/shutdown. I would imagine that standby power needs to be maintained on the Ceton card to keep all the authorization stuff in your CableCARD.
that doesn't make any sense, as it's not supposed to lose auth across a normal shutdown.

And in fact, mine does not lose auth across a shutdown.

Think about it: every time you turned off the PC, you'd have to call and get re-authorized? Nah.

I just came off a five day power outage. And, as expected, the thing just powered right up and never missed a beat. No, it's not supposed to lose authorization even when you unplug the PC.

cclark89

Post by cclark89 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:49 pm

Am I not doing something you guys are doing?

There's no way to lock in the CP Auth after its received from the Cable Co that I'm missing, right?

I've had a hell of a time contacting Surewest in the past few days. Even then I must not be getting the right people to send the right signals.

I've checked my BIOS and power settings quite a few times, and can't find any other settings that I would think are going to change things.

Maybe a MOBO incompatibility?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I think Adam is right. I don't know what I was thinking. It must be something wrong with your CableCARD. Keep trying to get in touch with Ceton. They have a good reputation for working directly with cable companies to get problems resolved.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:04 pm

cclark89 wrote:Ravent,

Does TWC use Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapters?
In some areas. All (I think) TWC areas use SDV (and TAs) however, some use Motorola MTR-700 units. You need to use whichever unit is provided in your area.

Ravent

Post by Ravent » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:18 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I think Adam is right. I don't know what I was thinking. It must be something wrong with your CableCARD. Keep trying to get in touch with Ceton. They have a good reputation for working directly with cable companies to get problems resolved.
I pulled my cableCARD out of a prime that never lost CP auth.

I still think its the iTV4.

cclark89

Post by cclark89 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Surewest issued me the Cisco.

When I restart the PC, the LED from the Infinitv starts blinking rapidly for a few seconds. The Indicator light on the Tuning Adapter will go through a period of blinking too (versus the solid indicator light when it is synced)

Is this the same activity that everyone who does not lose CP Auth experiences when they restart?

jreynosonyc

Post by jreynosonyc » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Same exact issue, was living in NYC on Time Warner Cable, moved to OldBridge NJ and on Cablevision and seems like every reboot has created this problem. Funny thing is I can see all the basic channels and some other channels but certain channels won't display. Never had this issue in NYC.. Signal strength is good after, just submitted a ticket to Ceton. Will post the response as soon as I hear anything.

elmopio

Post by elmopio » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Just a couple of quick questions. Have you updated your bios? Or tried a reinstall of the OS? I know it's a pain in the arse. But sometimes its needed. If you are worried about scheduling use MCEbackup.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cclark89

Post by cclark89 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:19 pm

I haven't tried any BIOS updates or Clean OS Installs.

I've kind of been wanting to do that though, so, I may get to work on backing up the installation files for the programs i'll want to keep. Pain to try and redownload everything.

If anyone who is also experiencing this hears anything, let me know.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:47 pm

I don't think the OS or BIOS will have anything to do with your problem. If your cable card loses data between reboots, how can that be caused by the OS or BIOS? I don't think anyone on this forum can really help you, except the folks at Ceton.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:15 pm

erkotz wrote:Open a support ticket with us. We will get you taken care of.
cclark89 wrote:I haven't tried any BIOS updates or Clean OS Installs.

I've kind of been wanting to do that though, so, I may get to work on backing up the installation files for the programs i'll want to keep. Pain to try and redownload everything.

If anyone who is also experiencing this hears anything, let me know.
Have you opened a support ticket? If so, please PM me the ticket #.

cclark89

Post by cclark89 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:17 pm

I have yet to do so. I was going to do some more testing to get an exact scope of the problem/was waiting to see if the other 2 guys in this thread had anything come back on their tickets. I believe my problem is like jrey above, where after the CP Auth is lost, I still have access to some channels, but I'd like to do better testing before I have your technicians start on it.

I'll try and find some time tonight to get one submitted.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:25 pm

The best thing to do is to open a ticket right away, because the card diagnostics will help Ceton quickly eliminate a lot of the testing you're doing by yourself and will point everyone in the right direction(s).

And in fact, Ceton works with the cable companies directly--taking *that* task off your hands.