HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC to be separate add-on in W8

Post by carljanderson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:54 pm

STC

Post by STC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:08 am

^
Brandon LeBlanc wrote:
Windows Media Center will be available as an economical “media pack” add-on to Windows 8 Pro.

:wtf:
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:14 am

So basically, Microsoft is going to have a way to directly measure the popularity of WMC. Nothing says popularity like cash (and conversely, nothing says "not popular" like the absence of cash). So in 2 or 3 years, Microsoft can come back and write a blog about how 0.01% of people use WMC. I don't see any good coming from this....hopefully they don't let WMC's future ride solely on WMC sales from W8 alone.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:16 am

If MC is going to be just a port from Windows 7 to 8 then I see absolutely no reason to move over to Windows 8 for a dedicated HTPC. If on the other hand, it gets some work and integrates with newer features of Windows 8 then I will investigate further.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:22 am

No word of embedded in there by the way, Ceton?

STC

Post by STC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:42 am

Uh, we're screwed. Aside from Ceton carrying on flying the flag with embedded (very cool), I really think MS are killing it off. It's certainly going to become more of a niche enthusiast product then it already is now. Not up or even sideways if you ask me. A few more years in the old dog yet though :)

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:45 am

Windows 8 hasn't been released.

All is pure conjecture at this point.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:48 am

MS are quoted as saying MC will be an 'economical' addon. They posted that information today. It is not conjecture.

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:56 am

I thought that this deserved it's own thread. This is pretty significant news in the Media Center world--

From the Windows 8 Blog:
Windows Media Center will be available as an economical “media pack” add-on to Windows 8 Pro. If you are an enthusiast or you want to use your PC in a business environment, you will want Windows 8 Pro.
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bl ... tions.aspx

What does this mean for media center? I'm not entirely certain yet. If it means that we are going to be paying for a supported product, where bugs are fixed in a timely fashion,(like any app you'd find in windows or a smartphone) I'm all for it. If it's just an experiment to see how many people would actually pay for media center, without Microsoft making any commitment to the product, then I worry this could actually be the first step in ending Media Center as we know it.

So what do others thing? Would you buy Media Center in W8 just to let Microsoft know that you support WMC development?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:58 am

REPOST
"remember that hoopla back in February, and the @BuildWindows8 team tweeted "Good Grief. we said that Widows Media Center will be a part of Windows 8.." I read closer that MSDN blog, and it did leave open the possibility of a feature pack type model.

As a whole, I am not opposed to the feature pack/app store type model. In fact, I would be willing to pay something for Windows Media Center. It does replace a $50/mo. recurring charge for Verizon's MR-DVR, and I can do so much more with it.

What I do have an issue with (at least initially), is that we all have to move from a Home Premium to a Pro version of Windows 8 before we can even buy this "Media Pack". On the surface it seems like MS is actively killing Media Center in Windows 8, forcing Windows 7 Home Premium users to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and THEN add the Media Pack.

If Windows 8 Media Center is strictly a port from Windows 7, I see no reason to upgrade my HTPC to Windows 8 except to let Microsoft know that I use Media Center."
END REPOST

Honestly, I think this spells the end of Media Center. Windows 9 will not have it, and it will be based "Windows 8 Media Pack purchases failed to meet expectations".

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:07 am

What ever price they charge is probably just to cover Dolby fees and things of that nature to keep costs down, especially on the lesser versions.

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:13 am

Little bit of general Windows 8 info with a comparison chart of the different versions.

http://www.windows8update.com/2012/04/1 ... i_Mlp5gY18

STC

Post by STC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:15 am

mcewinter wrote:What ever price they charge is probably just to cover Dolby fees and things of that nature to keep costs down, especially on the lesser versions.
Weren't they ditching Dolby?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:18 am

stonethecrows wrote:
mcewinter wrote:What ever price they charge is probably just to cover Dolby fees and things of that nature to keep costs down, especially on the lesser versions.
Weren't they ditching Dolby?

I guess so, I wasn't sure if that was early speculation at the time...or it is dropped until you pay for it ;)

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:29 am

On the surface it seems like MS is actively killing Media Center in Windows 8, forcing Windows 7 Home Premium users to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and THEN add the Media Pack.
Actually, nothing "forces" Win7 users to do anything at all.

Win7 will continue to work just fine.

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:39 am

I'll just stick with Win 7 until support is terminated and around that time I'll be retired. My kids will be using some other technology. likely not MS.
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:41 am

stonethecrows wrote:MS are quoted as saying MC will be an 'economical' addon. They posted that information today. It is not conjecture.
But let's go back to all the discussion that's happened between 2/29 and today. Much of it centered around the idea that "Windows 8 doesn't work, I tried to put it into production, features weren't there or weren't working all the way, it suxor". I mentioned that "it's not yet released, don't panic if it's not in a complete state" and I got spanked by a member for daring to suggest that a Consumer Beta wasn't intended to be ready for production.

And now we find out that indeed, the 2/29 version was *not* the version that Microsoft intended as a final release--that, plainly put, things aren't finished yet.

And I continue with that. Things are changing, and will change, and whatever MS does as a release product, we will find out when they release it.

They even have the prerogative to adjust things so as to include MC in the Pro version, for example, and make it an add-on via the store for the regular version. Quite literally, anything can happen up to the moment they release it.

I despair for people who make final judgments about a product in a situation like this.

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:01 am

adam1991 wrote:[
Actually, nothing "forces" Win7 users to do anything at all.

Win7 will continue to work just fine.
True, Win 7 will work just fine. How about, MS has just made it much harder to garner new users to Media Center.

Or, MS has made it thismuch easier to justify killing Media Center. If the Win7 users don't upgrade to Win 8 Pro and buy the Media Pack, MS can finally walk away from Media Center. Look at how long it has taken MS to resolve the cover art issue. They can't find a permanent fix for the guide update issue. They have't (apparently) placed one dollar of effort into a substantial re-code of Media Center (which in and of itself means nothing) but also have not introduced (or even hinted at) a new DVR package for Windows 8.

all of this makes it look like MS wants to/is killing Media Center and its functionality.

Yes, Windows 8 isn't released and we won't officially "know" until release, but what else are we to go on when MS releases the version info themselves for Windows 8? It wasn't a blogger guessing, it came straight from MS.

No I haven't made a final decision, but I would be foolish to not start looking for alternatives should the time come.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:30 am

This is not unlike a few years ago, when I knew that the days of analog cable would come to an end. I had to start keeping my eyes open for what would replace my beloved Replays.

Then Ceton "releases" their tuner card, and I knew that was the answer. Fortunately, the entire market had time to mature quite nicely before I had to make a move. When my hand was forced, all the pieces were in place for me to make my own whole-house DVR happen.

I'm hoping we have that kind of time now. Frankly, it looks like the Q is the answer.

Here's something to ponder: why would Ceton put so much time, effort, and money into developing the Q if they had any kind of inkling that MC was going away?

And I have to believe, they have their ear to this particular ground MUCH closer than we do or can.

If Ceton is just now opening a whole business based on MC, it gives one pause. Maybe MC will be one of those technologies open only to developers like Ceton?

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:09 am

I would support making Media Centre a chargeable product, if it meant it was going to be developed and supported. But given that this is just charging a premium, on top of requiring the Pro edition of Win8, for the same thing we have now, this is clearly the end of the product.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft