Hulu on Xbox???

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Sai Das

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hulu on Xbox???

Post by Sai Das » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:55 pm

I can get Netflix access directly on Xbox 360 extender for free, but all I see to do the same for Hulu is getting Play On for $40 upfront then $20 annually. What am I missing here? This doesn't make sense to me. :wtf:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:35 am

Really? You get Netflix on the XBox for FREE? Don't you pay for an XBox Live GOLD membership for that privilege? PlayOn is a LOT cheaper than XBox Live Gold.

Sai Das

Post by Sai Das » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:59 pm

I was referring to having Netflix display in the WMC menu with FiOS, though not being able to access any content through it. I'm confused here (obviously). Here is my take so far. Hulu has a free version that can be used on my PC desktop, but if I want to have it display in WMC, I have to get the Plus version. Hulu support confirmed this. Netflix obviously is paid too. So if I pay for each, then I can access through WMC. I can see having to pay for Netflix as the content is not free, but why would I pay for Hulu premium just to get the free version to run through WMC? So what do I get for $40 for Play On in this regard? A one-time $40 payment isn't going replace the $8 monthly fee I would have to pay for Neflix and Hulu Plus each, right? That would certainly be a no-brainer.

Thanks for your continued patience Barnabas. It has saved me a lot of time and aggravation and is much appreciated.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:49 am

I'm confused. I use Hulu on my Media Center PC for free all the time. I use the "Hulu watcher" add-in. It basically just runs the Hulu Desktop software, minimizes Media Center, waits for Hulu Desktop to exit, and then it restores Media Center. You can get the Hulu Desktop software free from hulu.com.

Read this article:
http://lifehacker.com/5383474/hulu-desk ... dia-center

Also, the Netflix app in Media Center works fine for me. Are you saying that it doesn't work on yours?

PlayOn makes your PC into a DLNA server for Netflix, Hulu, and many other things. It, plus the TubeCore add-in, allows you to watch those sources on your extenders. Without PlayOn/TubeCore, you cannot watch Netflix or Hulu on the extenders (unless you have an XBox and a Gold account.

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Most apps (Netflix, Hulu etc.) available on the Xbox 360 require an Xbox Live Gold account which is $40-$50/year. So in addition to the $8-$10 you pay for Netflix and/or Hulu, you have to pay Microsoft in order to access the necessary apps on your Xbox. With Playon, you just have to pay either the annual ($20 right now I believe) or lifetime fee and you can access all the free content available on your desktop. Obviously, you'd still have to pay for any premium content (Netflix, HBO) on top of that. I've considered getting Playon as I currently have 3 Xbox extenders and it would allow me to access the online content on each. With XBL Gold, I'd either have to logout/login each time on each of my extenders, or get a Gold account for each $$$.

Sai Das

Post by Sai Das » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks for confirming my take on this. My understanding is that PlayOn has a $40 one-time fee which would certainly be the way to go. Microsoft should really offer this free for Xbox.

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Sai Das wrote:Thanks for confirming my take on this. My understanding is that PlayOn has a $40 one-time fee which would certainly be the way to go. Microsoft should really offer this free for Xbox.

They should, but XBL is a gold mine for Microsoft. They already give the guide data away for free, so I guess this is their way of finding a different revenue stream. Unless you're taking up their server bandwidth for online gaming, there's little to no cost to Microsoft for XBL. The only bad thing about Playon is there's no cheap way to integrate it with Media Center on the Xbox. I tried vmcplayit but it consistently crashed. Tubecore is another alternative, but it's not free. Right now it's sufficient just to exit out of Media Center and run the Playon shows straight from the Dashboard.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:47 pm

Rockhopper wrote:The only bad thing about Playon is there's no cheap way to integrate it with Media Center
You think that $9.99 for TubeCore is expensive?

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:09 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Rockhopper wrote:The only bad thing about Playon is there's no cheap way to integrate it with Media Center
You think that $9.99 for TubeCore is expensive?
Meant to say "free", not cheap.