Discussion About The WEC

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mcewinter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:10 pm

stonethecrows wrote:It's pretty much unusable for me. Especially on an iphone.
Ah! I have Android ;)

<cheap shot (apologies)>

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Where's the MS love fellas? IPhone, Android.. No WP7? What gives?

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:18 pm

I browse and post at both, much more so here.

I was new to Media Center and the Green Button about a month or so after Ceton was taking orders, which was about the time I doscovered that 160GB wasn't enough for my recordings. :)

What I will say about WEC is that, for me, it isn't easy to navigate the forums.

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:20 pm

newfiend wrote:Where's the MS love fellas? IPhone, Android.. No WP7? What gives?

Mango user checking in. Just not with my phone, an HTC Trophy. I wish VZW had a better selection of WP7. Maybe Apollo..

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:30 pm

Ya Verizon is very timid with Windows Phone. I like my phone (Focus S) but wish I had waited for the Nokia hardware. Mango has nice features however the disappearing keyboard bug drives me nuts! Patiently awaiting Tango as AT&T is making us wait till then for the fix. They are so slow at releasing updates! Other than that the phone has been great.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Well, I actually like the look of WEC better than this site. It does have a few bugs still though. This site gets the job done, but it's very plain. I also like the ability on WEC to be able to go straight to the "latest post" in a thread. On this site, the best I've found is to go to the last page of the thread, and then scroll down.

What matters most though is the PEOPLE on this site. The ones with the most helpful information, unfortunately, abandoned WEC... so this site (TGB.tv) is the place to go for help.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:45 pm

A quick light hearted post, we are a bit plain after all :):

barnabas1969 wrote:Well, I actually like the look of WEC better than this site.
No offense taken! :D

I admit that WEC definitely looks better than it did at first - but for the love of 'him up there', why is it soooooooo slow? :yawn:

We (or rather makryger) did spend considerable time getting our wee site looking the way it does, it's not a tgb.com ripoff - but we wanted something to make us feel at home :)

I'm sure if we'd had a small tiny percentage of the budget that was used during the transition over at WEC then we could have done better.

How is the mobile support coming along over at WEC by the way? Tapatalk anyone? ;)

We haven't ever done a complete costing of getting our site up and running but I wouldn't want to try and eat out on a similar budget :lol:

Everybody is still encouraged to use our feedback thread with any things they would like tweaked / changed. We (makryger that is!) are running phpBB3 with quite a few hacks and mods, so any changes have to be carefully looked at so nothing gets broken - any ideas are definitely more than welcome though :thumbup:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=31
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:05 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Well, I actually like the look of WEC better than this site. It does have a few bugs still though. This site gets the job done, but it's very plain. I also like the ability on WEC to be able to go straight to the "latest post" in a thread. On this site, the best I've found is to go to the last page of the thread, and then scroll down.

What matters most though is the PEOPLE on this site. The ones with the most helpful information, unfortunately, abandoned WEC... so this site (TGB.tv) is the place to go for help.
To go to the latest post of any thread, click on the little button to the left of the title of a thread- its a tiny black arrow with a green page.

I think my favorite page of this site is the "View Active Topics" Page. Gives a nice overview of the site's activity since I last visited.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:09 pm

makryger wrote:I think my favorite page of this site is the "View Active Topics" Page.
+1

That's the first page I go to when on my phone, assuming I don't fire up Board Express.
Rob.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Hey makryger, thanks for the help viewing the latest posts. I never noticed that little arrow before.

I'm not complaining. I understand that you guys spent your own money and time to get this site setup. I appreciate that.

I always check the "view active topics" first too. On the WEC site, you can do the same thing by going to the "entertainment and connected home" forum, and click the arrow next to "activity". I wish they would expand that section by default, but clicking the arrow isn't too tough. I don't think it's terribly slow at WEC. Do you think it could be slow for you because you're located on a different continent from Microsoft's servers?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:55 pm

I'm a View New Posts man. I always was a bit different sorry :P
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:The ones with the most helpful information, unfortunately, abandoned WEC
I'll pretend you didn't just call me "not helpful". :P

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:00 pm

richard1980 wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:The ones with the most helpful information, unfortunately, abandoned WEC
I'll pretend you didn't just call me "not helpful". :P
Well, no. I did think about you as I posted that... I know you still answer questions at WEC. I reply to posts that I know something about... but I can't help everybody. Everyone uses Media Center in different ways, and my experience doesn't apply to many of the problems people have.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:00 pm

To be honest, I just checked WEC out as I was at home and already online. I find it slow in IE but if I use Chrome then I'd say performance is acceptable on a fixed line connection. If I try using my HTC HD7 when out and about though (3G and HSDPA) then waiting for pages to draw is painful.
Rob.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Ah. I abandoned IE quite a while back. I love Chrome. I only use IE when I'm forced to. Some of the intranet apps at work only work with IE.

Edit: It's funny to think that a Microsoft site plays better with a Google browser. Hmmmm.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Anyone seen Richard's new signature over on WEC? Funny.

Oh... I see he did the same thing here. He linked to TGB.tv on WEC, and vice-versa.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:03 pm

To save people from the pain of logging in to WEC just to see my signature:

Didn't find what you were looking for here? Head over to http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums for even more helpful information.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Idk about them but that site has always been slow for me as well. I am using Comcast cable for internet so I know it's not my connection. Not sure why its so laggy.. That's one of the biggest PITA about that site.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:32 pm

richard1980 wrote:To save people from the pain of logging in to WEC just to see my signature:

Didn't find what you were looking for here? Head over to http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums for even more helpful information.
OMG.. HAHA.. I LOVE IT! hahahah...

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:43 pm

@ Richard.. Don't ever think we don't appreciate your input.. Your one of the most knowledgeable people here and I always am grateful for your input here on the site and help you have given me on my own posts. I'm glad you're here. Thanks!