2 questions, HD enclosures and external blu ray players

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

2 questions, HD enclosures and external blu ray players

Post by lucasbuck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:54 am

Spent the weekend setting up WMC (switching from Sage) and was thinking of ways to expand.

1) I’m needing to add some drives for media storage. I was looking at the Rosewill RSV-S5, but unfortunately I don’t have a PCI E slot open. I DO however have this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PX ... k-c1001-20 , which is PCI, installed. Can I run the S5 off of either this card, or one of the motherboard based SATA connections? (I would have one open if I moved my 2 spare drives out to the S5)

Also, the motherboard is older. It’s an MSI N1996. I don’t really know much about the multiplier, but didn’t know if this motherboard could run it.

I’m just wanting JBOD, not a RAID setup. So if someone knows of a better way to do this let me know.

2) I don't have a Blu Ray player. Can I add an external one (which would also free up another sata port being used by the DVD drive), or do they not work very well for playing movies through WMC? Can anyone suggest an internal or external model?

Thanks for any advice!

lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by lucasbuck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 am

Looks like the Rosewill won't work with my SATA card. Not sure if it would work from the onboard SATA. Anyways, open to any suggestions on sticking some drives in a box.