Will Q handle the metadata problem, with multiple Q's

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
epete

HTPC Specs: Show details

Will Q handle the metadata problem, with multiple Q's

Post by epete » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:25 pm

I am wondering if Ceton is working on a fix for the Media Center bug that will prevent a Media Center PC or a second Q from properly display recordings made by another Q.

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... spx#548509

My preference is to probably have more than one Q rather than one Q and multiple Echo's. I would like to be able to view recordings from any Q on each Q. I have a couple of reasons for this.

1. Recording Reliability - If one Q fails, I like to have a second Q recording must have shows as a back-up.
2. The Video Quality on a Media Center PC is always better than an Extender. While I read that the Echo is more powerful than the Linksys, It is my belief that the video quality is a function of the streaming protocol and therefore an Echo may look better than a Linksys (washed out look) but will still be inferior to the quality of the Q.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:30 pm

I heartily dispute #2. XBox gives full quality.

Plus, no one can say anything right now about the Echo. To make such an assumption, that "the Echo is an extender, I hate the current extenders, therefore I will hate the Echo", is silly.

Regarding #1, I've always solved this problem simply by using the cloud as my backup. That is, the few times over the last year that something went wrong and I didn't get a full recording, I have just gone to the network's site or Hulu or whatever and watched it from there.

I can't say as I've had any significant problems, though.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Agreed, I see no diff in picture quality with either HTPC or Xbox and Linksys extenders.

epete

Post by epete » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:25 pm

I didn't mean to get into a discussion over whether an extender picture quality is or is not equal to the PQ of an HTPC. The question was really more towards the fact that Microsoft seems to have stopped any development and bug fixes in Media Center, so I was wondering if this is something Ceton would address in their implementation. While I agree it is silly to judge the echo based on the linksys, I do see a difference in PQ on my 1080P Samsung when the Linksys is in 1080P mode.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Well, the point is you're trying to solve a problem that (a) really doesn't exist today, but regardless (b) no one can say whether or not it exists on the Echo because the Echo isn't out yet.

In theory, because the Q will use Win7 FES, Ceton could patch anything they like to create any behavior they like. But all you can do right now is provide a wish list. No one, least of all Ceton, can say what the release product will or won't have for a feature set.

BTW, to judge all extenders based on your single experience with an older Linksys and your Samsung is silly. I guarantee you'd have a completely satisfactory experience with the only extender currently on the market--in fact, it would be indistinguishable from the HTPC output itself.

And personally, I have every expectation that the Echo will be at least the equal of the only extender currently on the market. Ceton doesn't seem to me like a company to put out trash; that would get out into the community very quickly, and they'd be screwing themselves.