Tuner scheduling

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
The Mac

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuner scheduling

Post by The Mac » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:49 pm

are there any tweaks for tuner scheduling?

In this case, recording back to back shows uses the same tuner. even if leadin/out is set to overlap.

Any way to force it to use the next available tuner instead? i have 9 tuners so there are plenty sitting idle.

Its irritating to have to have to figure out what was recorded before or after to get the last or first few minutes.
Last edited by The Mac on Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:55 pm

Hmm, I thought if you set lead out to 10 min or more it forces tuner change. (this is from memory so not positive) How much leadin/out have you tried?

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:58 pm

3 minutes each side.

10 seem excessive.

Ill give it a shot.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:43 am

Yes, the "10 minutes after" setting (and only that setting) will cause the subsequent recording to use a different tuner. I believe it also disables "Enhanced Conflict Resolution" which can cut off up to 5 minutes of the beginning of a recording if it that piece overlaps with another recording and is scheduled to record on the same tuner (it should force it to use another available tuner).

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:17 am

Ensure you don’t use the “if possible” setting, which tends to be the default. This will always prefer the same tuner even when others are spare. Logic seem to be a bit broken to be honest.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:34 am

There is some info about forcing MC to use different tuners for back to back recordings in the tgb wiki:

https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/inde ... recordings
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:27 pm

rats, so no way to do it globally, has be done on a per series basis?

or at least easier with one of the epg123 tools?

I have ALOT of scheduled series.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:23 am

You can set the default for new Series to be "10 minutes after" but that won't update existing Series. I'm not aware of any tool that can update existing Series in bulk to change this (or any) setting.

If you change the default, it will add 10 minutes padding to every Series you create from then on, which you may not want.

I generally only add the "10 minutes" setting for Series in which the recorded program tends to extend beyond the scheduled end time (for instance if a non padded recording results in the last 30 seconds or so of the end of the show being missing) and usually only if I know there is usually another show scheduled to start recording at the same time the first show ends. If there is not another show scheduled to record afterwards, then I just rely on my default setting of "1 minute when possible".

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:28 am

Apparently when epg123 runs, it reschedules everything and does update the series settings but since "is possible" is the only global choice it doesn't make much difference.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:28 am

Even though WMC only allows a default pre-padding setting that is used by all newly created Series, each Series has it's own pre-padding setting.

In other words, if you set the default pre-padding to 10 minutes, then create a Series1, then you change the default to "5 minutes" (or whatever) then create Series2, Series2 will have a 5 minute pre-padding and Series1 will still have the 10-minute pre-padding.

I don't know if the pre-padding setting for each Series is ever changed by some other system event. There may be certain conditions under which they are all changed to the default setting (which I think may have happened to me a long time ago, but the details are fuzzy, so I can't be sure).

If you look at the backups of the Series (they are in plain-text XML format) you can see that each Series has it's own, unique, pre-padding setting which is restored after a DB corruption WMC DB rebuild (or a manual WMC DB rebuild).

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:32 pm

That does not appear to be the current behavior, at least for lead out. I use like 2 mins for lead-in.

I changed the global option to "10 mins if possible" and now ALL of my series have been changed to '10 mins if possible' for lead out in the individual series settings.

all recordings also now have had the 10 minute lead-out actually recorded except where back to back.

I'm sure there is probably an override flag on each series that sets if you change it in the individual series settings but follows the global settings if not.

I just wish there was a force 10 minutes in the global settings. Seem shortsigted.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:01 pm

The Mac wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:32 pm I just wish there was a force 10 minutes in the global settings. Seem shortsigted.
I suspect they excluded that option to minimise potential recording conflicts. If someone with only one or two tuners set that option as a their default, they would likely create lots of conflicts and may not understand why.

This might be something that could be modded though…
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:23 pm

One of our community modders is going to take a look at this.
viewtopic.php?t=14526&start=40

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:12 pm

I haven't tested it extensively but it should hopefully do what you want: viewtopic.php?p=153067#p153067

(note: as usual with the WMC mini-mods project, configuration is only made via the registry, the GUI hasn't been updated to support that)