1.8.2.6 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:42 pm

I was getting my OV Code Signing Certificate from K Software for $84/year. It was a bit of a pain going through them (last year's process to get the certificate took a month for them to verify my identity), and the process to actually download the certificate so I could sign everything locally was "weird" at best. The hassle was worth it for the cost. They are now charging $313/year plus an additional $90 to get a token shipped to me on a FIPS USB drive.

I found out later on SSL.com the reason all the signing certificate providers increased costs.
Starting June 1, 2023, SSL.com’s Organization Validation (OV) and Individual Validation (IV) Code Signing Certificates will only be issued either on Federal Information Processing Standard 140-2 (FIPS 140-2) USB tokens or through our eSigner cloud code signing service. This change is in compliance with the Certificate Authority/Browser (CA/B) Forum’s new key storage requirements to increase security for code signing keys. The previous rule allowed OV and IV code signing certificates to be issued as downloadable files from the internet. Since the new requirements only allow the use of encrypted USB tokens or cloud-based FIPS compliant hardware appliances to store the certificate and private key, it is expected that instances of code signing keys being stolen and misused by malicious actors will be greatly reduced.
SSL.com was the only place I found that would sell certificates individually for $129. They can also sell you the FIPS USB with token for $249, or you can pay a monthly subscription to use their eSigner service which is basically uploading your files to their server, they will sign it with your certificate, and you will download the signed file. Hidden within their FAQs is a method to be able to sign files without the FIPS USB or their service using a program they provide that basically creates a key locked to your computer user account and hardware as well as your account with SSL.com.

The process with them was quite simple especially compared with K Software. The only thing needed was an authenticator app on your phone so you could then take pictures of driver's license, passport, or other government issued ID and also a selfie to prove your identity. I did this on a Sunday and my identity was verified within a few hours. My certificate was approved and released the next day. Then it was a matter of figuring out how to use the certificate and automate my signing which their FAQ was very helpful for.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

cvanwormer

Post by cvanwormer » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:52 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:42 pm - - - snip - - -
SSL.com was the only place I found that would sell certificates individually for $129. They can also sell you the FIPS USB with token for $249, or you can pay a monthly subscription to use their eSigner service which is basically uploading your files to their server, they will sign it with your certificate, and you will download the signed file. Hidden within their FAQs is a method to be able to sign files without the FIPS USB or their service using a program they provide that basically creates a key locked to your computer user account and hardware as well as your account with SSL.com.
- - - snip - - -
We really appreciate your work! Is there some way I can donate $50 to "the cause"?
Thanks,
Carl

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:08 am

On Gary's github download page there is a Donate button:
https://garyan2.github.io/download.html

cvanwormer

Post by cvanwormer » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:32 am

I'll do it now.
Thanks to Gary and to all the helpful community members!

sy_trilogy

Post by sy_trilogy » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:41 pm

Thank you, Gary, for the update to this invaluable program as well as your response to my email messages with further instructions that did the trick! Perhaps others did what I initially did which was to simply click on the link under forum rules and download the 1.8.2.6 release from it. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with PC Matic antivirus (the lifetime subscription. I went back to the downloads folder, copied the setup file, and pasted it onto the desktop. I right-clicked on that file and clicked on the check box that unblocked the file. I also "paused" the PC Matic Supershield protection and the update installed perfectly.