WMC Install finds all tuners but no OTA listings in guide

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
WMCLives

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Install finds all tuners but no OTA listings in guide

Post by WMCLives » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:06 pm

I've been using WMC and EPG123 in W7 for years. I have a cable box and 2 HDHR tuners. I switched to W10 and did WMC install 8.9.1 No problems, it's great. Followed the install instructions. Have 2 lineups with SD. Cable and OTA. I selected client setup. Did clean start, WMC TV Setup. WMC found all three tuners, cable, digital cable, and OTA. WMC did a channel scan and found no channels, that makes sense, guide was not imported yet. Selected stations for the 2 lineups in client. Selected save and execute. When client was done I opened WMC and looked at the guide. It had all the cable channels but none of the OTA channels. My W7 WMC guide shows both. Any ideas why I can't get OTA guides listings into WMC?

WMCLives

Post by WMCLives » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:08 am

I solved my problem, although accidentally. I manually added one OTA/DTV channel. Channel 4.1 on RF channel 35. The guide had the new channel but no guide data. I ran EPG123 and the guide data was populated. I clicked on the channel but WMC said the station was off the air, even though it knew the station signal was 100%. I closed WMC. i clicked to start media center and a box popped open saying media center is updating and I needed to restart, so I did. That one added channel was now working perfectly. So I went to add more DTV channels and after the scan was done I had 80 more OTA channels. I ran EPG123 and the all the channels had program data. Lucky me!

WMCLives

Post by WMCLives » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:03 am

Well, I'm not so lucky after all. The right click menu of convert to dvr-ms format was not working. It worked in win 7 but not in Win 10. I get the error WTV Converter cannot convert to DVR-MS because the content is not compatible. I read that you can run MediaCenterRecoveryTask and it would fix the problem, it didn't, but it did wipe my media center database. I did the install all over again, and once again, MCE couldn't find my OTA channels like my first post stated. But now after adding a OTA channel I can't get the magic "windows needs to reboot" message. So I'm stuck with a media center with no OTA channels. Hope someone has a good suggestion.

WMCLives

Post by WMCLives » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:46 pm

Well, no magic settings, windows defender was turned off on the windows disk that worked. I'm not sure if I even want windows defender since I have a hardware firewall and AV software. Although I would be curious as to what exclusion is needed to make HDHR work with MC. I got so confused because defender allowed the HDHR install apps and viewer, but not OTA feed to WMC.

grittree

Post by grittree » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:42 pm

You can't convert to dvr-ms because the file that does that is not in Win10. C:\Windows\ehome\WTVConverter.exe.

You can set up a virtual Win7, and convert there.

WMCLives

Post by WMCLives » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:14 pm

I have two versions of WTVConverter files. One from W7 and one from W8. I've installed WMC in W10 and have all the files from the ehome directory. That's why I have the right click option to convert WTV files. I guess I can set up a W7 VM and see if I can convert WTV.

I found that Windows Firewall Private Network was blocking the UDP from the HDHR tuner. Here's the entry from my system, the IP addresses could be different on other systems. DROP UDP 192.168.1.12 192.168.1.16 5004 64553 1356 - - - - - - - RECEIVE Going to make a new rule and see if I can allow the tuner traffic.

grittree

Post by grittree » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:54 pm

I tried putting the win7 converter file in win10. It wouldn't convert the wtv file. Can't remember the error msg. Don't have a win8 version, but expect the same result.

WMCLives

Post by WMCLives » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:13 am

I tried the same thing as you, and it didn't work. I wonder if it actually worked in Win8. The error most people get is this non-descriptive one: WTV Converter cannot convert to DVR-MS because the content is not compatible. I tried all the compatibility settings, NG. Oh well, happy that WMC is working in W10. Thank you to all the people that made it happen.