WMC 8.9.1 and Windows 11 on Modern HW Except Old TV Tuner

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Barley

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 8.9.1 and Windows 11 on Modern HW Except Old TV Tuner

Post by Barley » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:33 pm

My old HTPC blew its motherboard, so I upgraded to more modern components and installed Windows 11 on it. The only "old" component is my trusty ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI-e tuner card for ATSC (OTA) TV.

WMC 8.9.1 installed just fine and the TV setup was painless. Had some issues with schedule updates in EPG123 but I seem to have gotten that straightened out (Thanks Gary).

Getting DVD's to work was a pain. I installed the Windows DVD Player, but only got audio (no video--black screen). After some research, I suspect the issue is that the Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Decoder (aka "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder") does not support anything other than 4:2:0 chroma format https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... eo-decoder, and my iGPU and monitor seem to only support 4:2:2 or 4:4:4. So I used a utility in the K-Lite codec pack to disable the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder and use the appropriate LAV Filter instead.

Next up, I wanted to be able to watch blu rays through WMC and be able to use my remote (in the past I have used PowerDVD, but I didn't like that it was not integrated with WMC and that it did not play well with my remote). I found this thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3582 and using Joni's plugin I was able to get it to work, with perfect remote compatibility (I needed to tweak the "keys" configuration in MPC-HC).

The only bummer and unresolved issue I am having, is that the driver for my old tv tuner is preventing me from turning on Memory Integrity in Windows 11. If anyone here has run into that issue, and found updated drivers or knows how to update a driver to fix this issue, please let me know!

Thanks!

Barley

grittree

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by grittree » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:09 am

Don't have anything to add, but wanted to say this post was extremely well written.