Xfinity/Comcast threat to deny access to Video card

lostgreycells

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by lostgreycells » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:08 am

Today's email from Comcast: "As early as June 26, 2023, your current TV equipment will no longer allow you to access Xfinity On Demand and Subscription Video On Demand (SVOD) packages."... "make sure to return your old equipment [cable card serial number here] that was replaced to avoid unreturned equipment fees ..."If you do not upgrade your equipment, you will no longer be able to access On Demand and SVOD on your outdated TV boxes as early as June 26, 2023. However, you'll continue to have access to most of this content, as well as your purchases through Xfinity Stream."

Since I've always used Xfinity stream online to access programs I've missed, I would continue as usual - unless they continue demanding I return my cable card - or shut down my HDHomerun box and TV access. ???

By the end of this month maybe I'll find out. Interesting timing with the ongoing writers' strike. The fall lineup will offer us reruns and more reality shows, right?

Space

Post by Space » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:01 am

As far as I know, there is no CableCard device that allows access to VOD services other than the cable boxes offered directly by the provider. Seems like they are sending this email to people that have CableCards rather than just those that have their "outdated" cable boxes, which doesn't seem to make sense.

EDIT:

It does look like some TiVo boxes supported VOD, so maybe that's why they sent it to CableCard customers, not knowing what CableCard device you have.

lostgreycells

Post by lostgreycells » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:52 am

Thanks Space! My concern is that Comcast persists in sending me emails telling me to return my cable card. ("make sure to return your old equipment [cable card serial number here] that was replaced to avoid unreturned equipment fees")

I also understand that DRM issues are the driving factor behind wanting these older cards removed.

Without it, I don't see how I could continue using WMC via a Win7 PC with Schedules Direct and Gary's EPG123. Am I overreacting? Or not understanding something?

Space

Post by Space » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:38 am

They seem to only be referring to the on-demand content. They also seem to think that your old equipment "was replaced" (I assume you did not get any new equipment).

I believe what they mean by "you'll continue to have access to most of this content" is that much of the content that is available on the VOD services is also available through Xfinity stream.

I assume Xfinity stream is an IP based streaming service that does not go through any cable boxes (perhaps using a regular browser?), which it looks like you will still have access to.

If I had to guess, you should still be able to use your CableCard and Prime to tune the cable channels and will not lose any functionality since the Prime was not able to get any VOD services anyway, so the loss of this service is meaningless to you. You needed their old cable boxes to get VOD and you never had their old cable boxes.

I have FiOS and they have VOD available, but I am unable to use it since, like you, I only have the Prime and not one of their cable boxes that are needed to order and play VOD.

JK77

Post by JK77 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:36 am

When I got the same e-mail, I called Xfinity and thought I ordered a replacement CableCard as per the instructions in the e-mail. At least that is what the CSR said I only needed to replace, and the old one needed to be returned to a Xfinity store.

Two weeks pass and I figure I better call to see where is this new CableCard. The latest CSR says no new CableCard was shipped, and I have to return my current X1 box to a Xfinity store to get a new one even though the e-mail said new equipment would be shipped.

At the store, I explained to the kid the runaround I got, which shows "one hand doesn't know what the other is doing" at 1-800-COMCAST. I told him I have another CableCard [in the PRIME], and will it need replaced? He said wait until the deadline, and if it stops working, to come back. I guess it doesn't matter if the card in the PRIME is upgraded, since this change seems to only be an issue with VOD and SVOD.

As for the new X1 box: it is slooooooooooooooow! Slow changing channels, and even slower navigating OTT (over the top) stuff like Paramount+ and Pluto TV. I am glad I don't use it for the majority of my TV viewing.

lostgreycells

Post by lostgreycells » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:12 pm

Thanks JK77! "one hand doesn't know what the other is doing" TRUE THAT!!

Your maddening experience with Comcast has definitely helped me/us understand more about the X1 box. My only access to Comcast SVOD is to go online to a site included in my package and log in using Xfinity as my provider, thus no X1 box "filter" to put the brakes on streaming speeds.

I guess we'll all be twisting in the wind waiting to see if our cable cards soon go dark.

At least we'll still have internet access which, in my case, will allow me to arrange for another provider (in my case, FiOS), get it hooked up and working, cancel with Comcast, return their router and dead cable card, and then begin the process of picking out SVOD services. Waaay cheaper for me but far more cumbersome! Don't want to lose WMC!!

Stay tuned???

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:55 pm

Update I Just finished building a New Windows 7 PC WMC moved files to it from a thumb drive for future rebuilds including Digital Cable Adviser etc etc All channels are working from SD including copy protected. Now I can breathe better having a backup system just in case! LOL
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

lostgreycells

Post by lostgreycells » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:43 am

Thanks Rickt1962! Re backup PC. Great! I did mine a few years ago but pretty sure I'd have a cardiac trying it again. My setup: Backups, Schedules Direct, KODI, and EPG123 on the one I'm using and only turn the other one on occasionally to update them. Firewalls? I'm paranoid. I don't allow access FROM my win7 boxes to the network, only allow my primary computer network access TO THEM. (The Win 7 boxes allow internet access to EPG123, Schedules Direct, HDHomerun, KODI, and Macrium Reflect. No other software installed that "calls home". Don't use browsers at all except to update existing software. (Win7 updates now only include regular virus protection and malicious software removal (hope they continue!). No security patches since January and it's a reaaalllly old system).