Windows 8.1, Still getting Update Playready

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
MarkGSD

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8.1, Still getting Update Playready

Post by MarkGSD » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:16 am

I’ve have downloaded and installed the files from Gary’s wonderful page for my Windows 8.1 system: Windows Media Center, Digital Cable Advisor, Playready 1.3.0, and resetDRM.

When trying to view cable channels with my HDHomeRun PRIME which has a Technicolor/Cisco cable card, I was getting the screen telling me I needed to update PlayReady.

After reading through some of the similar issues on the forum I thought I had found the solution and followed that advice. No dice.

To try and fix this, I have run the resetDRM command as administrator with the log showing it was successful. I then uninstalled PlayReady, rebooted, and reinstalled PlayReady. Nothing changed after doing this. I am still getting the error message that I need to update PlayReady in order to watch cable channels with Cox encrypts. That's every channel except for the local OTA channels available on cable.

What else can I do to fix this issue, so that I can play and record encrypted cable channels from my HDhomerun PRIME tuner?

Thanks,
Mark

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:36 am

After installing PlayReady, have you gone into WMC settings/General/Windows Media Center Setup and clicked 'Install PlayReady'? I have found that it will recognize PlayReady is installed if you do that.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

MarkGSD

Post by MarkGSD » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:39 am

Thanks for the tip. However when I go to Settings>General>Windows Media Center Setup, it's not one of the choices listed. There's no mention of PlayReady. It's the WMC version 8.9.0 that I downloaded from your fantastic website. Thank you so much for all you do!

I do wish that someone could modify WMC 8.9.0 so that when you get to the Install PlayReady screen during the setup it would look to see if PlayReady was already installed and then continue and if not, prompt one to install it. Or just check to see if it's installed and move on to the next step.