Latest win 11 update destroys WMC

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
n4mwd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Latest win 11 update destroys WMC

Post by n4mwd » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:45 pm

I spent a good bit of time last night on this new win 11 box getting WMC installed with EPG123. The install went smooth (Thanks GaRyan). Then a windows update came in this morning and trashed WMC. The guide data and program scheduling was wiped clean. WMC required that I go through the setup again and scan for tuners and channels. I did, but that didn't fix it. I went to EPG123 client and restored the lineup and rebuilt the database and it brought the EPG back. However, the scheduled recordings are still missing. I don't know if these can be restored.

Is there an easy way to make a FIX_WMC_AFTER_WIN11_UPDATE.BAT file to restore the configuration after windows update breaks it? Maybe save the WMC config files somewhere safe and restore them after an update?

When this update got done and the computer rebooted, it comes up with a "Windows is re-configuring Windows Media Center" dialog box that took several seconds to clear. Yes, it has its own dialog box. Sure looks like this is an intentional act of sabotage by microsoft.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:59 pm

you can restore scheduled recording items by running epg123transfer.exe in the epg123 folder then using the 'open recordings backup file' button, point it at the latest backup zip file

if you don't have any epg123 backups, you may be able to use the latest file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome\mcepg3-0\backup\recordings

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:33 pm

Update: The EPGTransfer program worked perfectly. Thanks.

=======
I had hit the backup button in epg123 last night, but that may have been before I actually scheduled anything. The restore button fixed the epg itself, but not the schedule.

I examined the latest EPG123 backup .ZIP file and then the Recordings.mxf file. That file was substantially empty. So I checked my backup from the previous Win7 machine and the recordings.mxf file there was populated.

So I copied the win7 Recordings.mxf file into the latest epg123 backup file on the new win 11 box and tried to restore that. I did and there were no errors, but WMC still says no recordings scheduled.

The old win7 backup lineup had only about 30 channels and the new one has 100. I don't want to lose those by restoring the old lineup. I only want to restore the schedule.