I had issues with my computer freezing up with Windows 7, so making the upgrade to Windows 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
billmich

HTPC Specs: Show details

I had issues with my computer freezing up with Windows 7, so making the upgrade to Windows 10

Post by billmich » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:16 pm

I would appreciate any and all advice as to the best link to download windows media center for windows 10

A Google search provides so many different links but I wanna trust people that are on this message board

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:39 pm

In previous posts, you mention that you have a HD Homerun Prime. If you are still using that, then Windows 10 is almost certainly not the way to go for you.

billmich

Post by billmich » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:40 pm

Why is that?
What are My alternatives with HDHOMERUN so that I can record to my hard drive? USUNG Windows 10

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:56 pm

I'll just butt in here. What Technodevotee is saying is that a HDHomerun PRIME (note the word PRIME) comes with a cable card. This is the issue- the cable card. Currently HDHomerun sells other tuners- they do not work with cable cards- rather they use some kind of antenna is attached. There are workarounds with Windows 10 and the newer HDHomerun tuners- but not if there is a cable card.

billmich

Post by billmich » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:20 pm

Edited below
Last edited by billmich on Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

billmich

Post by billmich » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:02 am

I was able to download the windows 10 version of the HDHOMERUN app

And was able to tune in via that app all the channels that I could before… There was no difference

What I need to do is download Windows media center for windows 10 and get that all set up and I’m wondering if there’s a preferred link to do that

I have found a post elsewhere on this page, it looks like I wanna go to a specific version of windows and I want to turn off any updates and I appreciate any other hints and tips people have because this is like me starting all over again in 2014

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:09 am

Yes that it correct using Windows 7, which is no longer suported by Microsoft.

Just curious- what HDTunner are you using?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:12 am

The HDHomerun App will work on windows 10 to watch live TV via cable card It will also allow recording except for copy protected content. However WMC on Windows 10 will not work with cable card tuners. There are too many incompatible changes in Windowa 10 that do not allow WMC to access cable card tuners (Since the Win 10 WMC is a version pulled forward to win 10 from Win 7/8 and was never modified to work with the Win 10 changes). There is currently no solution that will allow Windows 10 to record copy protected content. There were reports that a very early version of Win 10 would access cable card tuners, no idea wht level of functionality was available in that situation e.g. I doubt any copy protected content was accessible) Also, not sure you will be able to find a version of SD's drivers for Win 10 that support the Prime.

billmich

Post by billmich » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:24 am

I am not interested in recording any copy protected material, I am only interested in being able to record stuff off of ESPN and broadcast channels

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:31 am

Good point, stuartm. If billmich is using only the HDHomerun app, then non-copywrited shows can be recorded, and viewed using the HDHomnerun app. I personally HATE the HDHomerun app grid for live TV (and love the Windows Media Center grid), so I only use HDHomerun for it's tuner function- and use solely use WMC for recording and viewing.

Several years ago, I created a dual boot on my hard drive and followed the steps to install the Windows 10 with cable cards. I soon gave up on it because of various ongoing issues- and because of the incertainty for future updates. And I then simply deleted the Windows 10 partition- and I continue today to use Windows 8.1 with WMC.

billmich

Post by billmich » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:06 am

So are you saying I should ditch 10 before I put effort in it and go with 8.1?
When you talk about “record with HDHOMERUN app, are u talking about using their DVR?
I just want to record a file, edit it with VIDEOREDO, then author it with multiAVCHD, this is what I have been doing since 2014 with windows 7, recently using EPG123 for guide listings

Again, I just want something up and running by September 1

mwpeterson

Post by mwpeterson » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:38 pm

According to the guys at SiliconDust, the HDHomeRun DVR will have the option to use a traditional grid style "very soon".

billmich

Post by billmich » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:49 pm

is there any remote access like my media center provides me currently

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:59 pm

Have you considered one of the popular media server DVR options?

EMBY (my pref) MANY client apps for tablets/phones/SMART TVs, etc.

Plex

are just 2 that stand out.

Both require a paid license but have expended a lot of effort to succeed WMC over recent years.

If not for the DRM/PlayReady requirement, I'd probably have switched a while ago.

billmich

Post by billmich » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:30 pm

I have just started poking around that possibility; so i have a few comments and questions:
HDHomeRun Prime works with Plex and others fine? Is there anything close to a program guide like what i have with EPG123?
I am more than willing to go that route if that's by best solution, and willing to invest $$ to make it happen. My 1st preference is to "keep things the way they currently are" as much as possible.

Do these options allow for locally recorded content that I can then access with Videoredo and then edit and subsequently burn onto Blu-Ray? My main reason for building this computer was to create a "blu-ray recorder/burner" because the electronics companies never released one after the DVD recorder/burner.

I am a fan of the My media center app in case I am out somewhere and my game will start on a different channel, I can remotely access/add additional recording to cover that possibility.

As mentioned before, its like I'm starting from scratch again because simply going from win 7 to win 10 isn't quite as simple as i had hoped/imagined.

I appreciate any and all assistance the community can provide, I know this is a WMC site, but at the end of the day, i just want the device to do what i need it to do

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:51 pm

I provided links to the respective server description pages & would suggest doing a little personal research. Forums (both products have them) are always a good source of passive input (read).

EMBY has had auto commercial skip/removal requested for ages. Maybe they've got it now? I assume that was the 'editing" you mention? I do know they output directly to more widely supported formats than .wmv/.dvr-ms. SD tuners supported natively. Guide included.

SMART phone client app (w/ requisite port forwarding on your router to facilitate remote access) would likely get you what MMC does, plus access to your entire media library.

For best results... read up. Compose specific questions. Ask where the expertise lives.
Last edited by d00zah on Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billmich

Post by billmich » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:55 pm

appreciate the starting point.....

to clarify, I am looking to record LOCALLY, then use an editing program (Videoredo) to edit out commercials, joining video segments together when a game starts on 1 channel, then moved over to another because the preceding game ran long....

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:04 pm

billmich wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:55 pm appreciate the starting point.....

to clarify, I am looking to record LOCALLY, then use an editing program (Videoredo) to edit out commercials, joining video segments together when a game starts on 1 channel, then moved over to another because the preceding game ran long....
Understood. MMC allowed you to remotely control what was recorded on your local network. Same access possible via SMART phone client (+ some).

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:35 pm

Let’s back up for a second. As I understand it, your Windows 7 box stopped working. At that time, you were using Windows Media Center (WMC) to record and view shows. And you were using VideoReDo for post processing. I cannot address your post processing since I have not used VideoReDo for many years.

Now you want to build a new box with either Windows 8 or Windows 10. I am not clear what tuner you are using: I believe it is a HDHomerun- but I am not sure which model. If it is HDHomerun PRIME that is mainly used with cable providers (Comcast, etc.). I do not know anything about the abilities of the PRIME tuner that is used without a cable card inserted.

Windows 10: if you are using with a cable card, it is highly recommended that you do NOT use . If you are not using a cable card, then people are reporting good success.

Windows 8: This is what I am using. It works very well. You will need a copy of Windows 8- and you will need to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro Pack. While you will be able to download the ProPack, you will need a key to activate it- it used to cost $10- but it is no longer available from Microsoft. Keys are available from third parties- but it is hit and miss. Browse this thread to See my story- and exact instructions on how to install in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=97&t=12255&p=135143#p135143

Post Processing: Most people use EPG123 to populate tv networks into WMC. It is excellent. And a lot of people then use MCEBuddy to remove commercials. Again, it is great- and technical support forums are great.

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:43 pm

Remote Access: I forgot to mention that I use Windows Remote Desktop Connection to access WMC to schedule new recordings when necessary. This app is available for iPhone as well.