Media Browser and .mp4's on Xbox360

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
samm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Browser and .mp4's on Xbox360

Post by samm » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:22 am

Howdy folks,

I have recently pondered using Media Browser for my new movie library - I've done lots of research on it. I've set up a test on my main workstation, before transferring this over to my Media server. Both PCs are running W7 Pro x64.

Firstly, I have a large (>700) library of mp4 files that play great on anything I'm using - including the 360 as a WMC extender. I don't get ff/rw, but I get skip forward/back and I can live with that. My problem arrises when I bring Media Browser in the mix. Upon installing and configuring MB, the mp4s play just fine on the PCs - but not on my 360 extenders. Upon selecting the moive in MB on an extender, I get a blank screen for a bit - then the extender screen saying "extender disconnected, would you like to reconnect?" with a reconnect button and a cancel button. Upon selecting reconnect, it fusses for a bit then takes me to the media center menu - back to square 1.

Through my research, I've found an option in MB configurator to chose mp4 as an extender format - supposedly making the PC forward mp4s to the extender w/out transcoding. I've added .mp4 to this list - but the exact same results happen in the extenders.

I wouldn't ask this question w/out first doing all the possible research on my own that I could - so I'm here as a last resort before scrapping the MB idea.

Any thoughts?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:29 am

are you using any codec packs?

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

samm

Post by samm » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:46 am

In short - both.
I realize the complexity of downloading codec packs to a PC - so I actually started with a fresh install of W7 pro x64 on my workstation. Tried installing only MB - and extender error was there.
Then, thru my research, I tried installing Shark's codecs - with x64 components. Didn't work - actually the same exact issue happened. Almost like it didn't affect MB and mp4s at all. I did try just the bare naked defaults in Shark's codecs, and after discovering they didn't work, I began playing with some of the settings in the Shark codec config. Still to no avail - same disconnection issue happens.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:29 am

I avoid packs like the plague..lol. On my system I installed haali, ac3 filter, an the reg hack for .mkv. I added .mp4 codec support to windows by installing the Zune software (Microsoft codec's). This will add mp4 codec's so you can play them in WMP & WMC. disable UAC in windows uninstall media browser and reinstall the latest package with UAC off. Hopefully the codec pack didn't mess up things too bad.. Use the uninstaller in sharks pack and remove it first, disable UAC, install zune, uninstall MB, then reinstall. Test it and see if they play it should.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Also make sure you download and install the optional media update for the Xbox from the games marketplace>games>titles A-Z>O>optional media update. Supports AAC, MPEG4 movies.