Win7 March system update killed WMC/mce

prsa01

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win7 March system update killed WMC/mce

Post by prsa01 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:00 pm

For the first time a monthly system update "undid' my wmc setup. I am not live yet on win10 so hav not seen firsthand what updates do to it but am assuming this is similar. Launching wmc after the update brings an initial install/config screen.

For now I restored the checkpoint and all seems normal. My plan is to use Gary's program to backup / do update /then restore similar to what I think people are doing on win10. Will report back.

If someone more knowledgeable has a better plan, please let me know.

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:09 pm

Sounds like it is not just Win7. Got a report of the same thing on Win8.1.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:17 pm

Thanks Gary! Please report back if what I plan to do should/does work (using your backup/restore).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:31 pm

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to look at this for a while. Based on limited data I have seen so far, it appears that the update might be deleting the WMC registry entries. I am hoping I am wrong, but won't know until I can work on it.

If anyone wants to step up and investigate, by all means please do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

- Gary

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:03 pm

yep. 8.1 as well

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:06 pm

Same here win 8.1.
I was able to get WMC back by uninstalling 2022-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB5011564). Then opting for me to choose which updates to install. Don't have a resolution beyond not installing that update

Space

Post by Space » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:28 am

Is this update only available if you pay for ESU (Extended Security Updates) from Microsoft?

Is it the same for both Win7 and Win8.1?

I'm pretty sure it's the case for Win7, but not sure if Win8.1 is still getting automatic free updates.

I just want to make sure people know if they need to worry about this or not.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, as Gary insinuated, the EPG123 backups do not include a backup of WMC registry entries, so if this update is wiping those out, the backup (which is only of the WMC database) will not fix this problem.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:47 am

Win 8.1 continues with free upgrades until Jan 10, 2023 as far as I've found googling. As a win 8.1 user I can attest I'm getting free upgrades to date.

benhase

Post by benhase » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:29 am

Same issue here WMC on Windows 8.1 Pro after installing KB5011564 (2022-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems).
When I open WMC is brings up a "Welcome to Windows Media Center" screen.

I did find if I start WMC in "Run as Administrator" mode, it then works correctly.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:38 am

benhase wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:29 am I did find if I start WMC in "Run as Administrator" mode, it then works correctly.
This is very good info, as it means there is probably just a simple permissions issue and not registry or other more extensive changes.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:09 am

...and is similar to what I saw in a log file. EPG123 couldn't access/write to the registry keys to activate the guide or point to the logo file. If the registry keys for WMC still exist, then their permissions may have changed so that not only epg123 couldn't see them, but WMC couldn't see them as well. This would explain why you could setup WMC just fine but as soon as you close it you are "reset".

Strange thing is I can't get my VM to see any updates to try and capture what is going on. Might have to manually download and install the rollup.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:09 am

I can verify running WMC as administrator allows it to see the registry settings and runs normally (doesn't go into OOBE mode).
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:19 am

I can also verify that adding 'Everyone' with full permission on the registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center' will also work after update is installed.
- Gary

andyhi

Post by andyhi » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:06 am

garyan2 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:19 am I can also verify that adding 'Everyone' with full permission on the registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center' will also work after update is installed.

Similar problem on my Win 8.1 Media Center box. Uninstalled the March 8, 2022 monthly update (Win 8.1 - KB5011564) prior to seeing this thread as a work around.

I checked permissions to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center after uninstalling KB5011564 and see the following:

Users:
- Read [Inherited from parent]

Administrators:
- Read + Full Control [Inherited from parent]
(These only apply if launching MC as admin or if UAC is completely disabled on your box.... Other wise the User and Interactive permissions will be the limiting factor.)

INTERACTIVE:
- Read & the following Advanced / Special permissions: Query Value, Set Value, Create Subkey, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify, Read Control. [Explicit permissions assignment / Not inherited from parent. Applies to child key and subkeys.]
(For anyone not familiar with this special windows security principal - Users interactively logged into the windows console/shell are part of this special security group. I.e. The windows user that launches the Media Center app.)

For anyone else looking at these permissions - Check to see if the 3/22 Monthly update resets/changes any of these permissions, particularly those assigned to INTERACTIVE. Unfortunately I'm not in a situation to reapply KB5011564 to compare what changed.

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:49 am

This update got me too, But after a google search I found the answer here.
Thank you for the permissions info to fix it on my Win8.1 media center.

Just gave 'Users' full control to above reg key

Thank you

Toaster4000

Post by Toaster4000 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:42 am

andyhi wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:06 am
garyan2 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:19 am I can also verify that adding 'Everyone' with full permission on the registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center' will also work after update is installed.

Similar problem on my Win 8.1 Media Center box. Uninstalled the March 8, 2022 monthly update (Win 8.1 - KB5011564) prior to seeing this thread as a work around.

I checked permissions to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center after uninstalling KB5011564 and see the following:

Users:

Administrators:
(These only apply if launching MC as admin or if UAC is completely disabled on your box.... Other wise the User and Interactive permissions will be the limiting factor.)

INTERACTIVE:
- Read & the following Advanced / Special permissions: Query Value, Set Value, Create Subkey, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify, Read Control. [Explicit permissions assignment / Not inherited from parent. Applies to child key and subkeys.]
(For anyone not familiar with this special windows security principal - Users interactively logged into the windows console/shell are part of this special security group. I.e. The windows user that launches the Media Center app.)

For anyone else looking at these permissions - Check to see if the 3/22 Monthly update resets/changes any of these permissions, particularly those assigned to INTERACTIVE. Unfortunately I'm not in a situation to reapply KB5011564 to compare what changed.
Thanks so much for posting the old permissions, @andyhi. The permissions removed by the update appear to be Set Value and Create Subkey. Adding those to INTERACTIVE fixes the issue for me, and appears to be the correct fix instead of granting permission to EVERYONE.

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:12 am

Space wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:28 am Is this update only available if you pay for ESU (Extended Security Updates) from Microsoft?

Is it the same for both Win7 and Win8.1?

I'm pretty sure it's the case for Win7, but not sure if Win8.1 is still getting automatic free updates.

I just want to make sure people know if they need to worry about this or not.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, as Gary insinuated, the EPG123 backups do not include a backup of WMC registry entries, so if this update is wiping those out, the backup (which is only of the WMC database) will not fix this problem.
There is a work around to continue receiving security updates on win7 if you wish to. If interested, I can pm the info to you.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:44 am

Not sure how long it will take Microsoft to fix this, but this Microsoft tool allows you to change permissions of registry keys via command line, perhaps someone can make a script with it that fixes the permissions so people don't have to mess with regedit.

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:48 am

Toaster4000 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:42 am
andyhi wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:06 am

Users:

Administrators:

INTERACTIVE:

Thanks so much for posting the old permissions, @andyhi. The permissions removed by the update appear to be Set Value and Create Subkey. Adding those to INTERACTIVE fixes the issue for me, and appears to be the correct fix instead of granting permission to EVERYONE.
GREAT info!

Please confirm that it continues to work after open/close, reboot, etc when you get a chance. Thanks

Toaster4000

Post by Toaster4000 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:51 am

prsa01 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:48 am
Toaster4000 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:42 am Thanks so much for posting the old permissions, @andyhi. The permissions removed by the update appear to be Set Value and Create Subkey. Adding those to INTERACTIVE fixes the issue for me, and appears to be the correct fix instead of granting permission to EVERYONE.
GREAT info!

Please confirm that it continues to work after open/close, reboot, etc when you get a chance. Thanks
I did that testing prior to posting. It appears to be stable, both locally and on extenders. Since I don’t know why the update changed the permissions, I’m not sure yet if it might happen again.