Recommendations for OTA multiple tuner?

stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recommendations for OTA multiple tuner?

Post by stevethebrain » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:30 pm

I’d like a nicer over the air antenna type multiple tuner
I’ve been using a haugpage 1800 for ten flawless years also a silicon dust dual tuner which is substandard, it worked 95% of time.

Replaced the silicon dust w/ a haugpage 2250 dual tuner purchased used on ebay, it worked flawlessly for 6 months however the other day it mysteriously disappeared from devices.
I restarted still disappeared, restored to earlier time still disappeared. Second restore the 2250 reappeared.
Is this a sign of a worn out 2250? I’ve never observed the 1800 disappear.

Please recommend a excellent multiple tuner for free antenna TV. Thanks

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:00 am

I had disappearing tuner problems with Hauppauge 2250's. After sleep/wakeup they would sometimes just be gone from the machine. It seemed to follow specific 2250's and by moving it to another machine the problem would follow. I ended up going through several different cards to find one that would sleep/wakeup properly. Another symptom would be the PC not going fully to sleep but hanging in a non-responsive state. The only way to clear either problem seemed to be power cycle of the affected machine. I find the newer Hauppauge quad HD card to be better (has never disappeared) - very rarly will do the hang when going to sleep. I think something in the Hauppause HW or driver is not quite as robust as it should be.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:30 pm

never knew this was a known problem w/ the 2250.doe's the 2255 known to have issues? yes I've had sleep problems in the past not recently since the 2250.

Woops I’ve actually had the 2250 for 1year & 4 months,(I assume the module is or could be 8 years old) so should I consider myself lucky it has only disappeared once so far? How often should I expect it to disappear?pc is sleeping fine.

What is power cycle? Completely power off like a shut down & a restore isn't necessary? for a test could I rearrange my hdmi cables, like sawp the cable from pc to avr w/ cable from avr to display.

Have you ever tried the windows button on keyboard?

yes I was browsing the haugpage 1609 quad.the picture in picture feature looks much better than my old fashioned method using my dvr as the pip tuner the small picture can only be moved to 4 corners and can't be enlarged, it's actalley a tad small.
can the 1609 adjust size of PIP?
will the remote control, (not pictured on amazon) control WMCs volume? good to know you haven't had problems w/ the 1609.

I'm not ready to spend $109. for 4 tuners yet. will be on the ebay/used amazon look out. thanks for advice.sorry for mulipeI ?s I do tend to get carried away w/ TV improvements.thanks.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:50 am

I only ever had 2250's so I don't know if the 2255's had problems or not.
As I said the problems seemed to follow tuners and some had problems and others not. you are perhaps lucky that it has only happened once so you have a realitively problem free unit.
Power cycle is shutting down the PC to the state where you must hit the power button to start it back up. I never had to do any kind of restore to get the device back it would reappear after shutting down and restarting.
Never use the keyboard with my HTPC's they are all controlled via a remote.
The remote I use (Which is not the remote that comes with the tuner card) will control the volume that WMC puts out but not TV volume directly,
Dont know anything about the PIP capabilities since I use the devices exclusively with WMC and WMC does not support PIP.
Even with the 1609 I have the fairly rare hang on sleep problem maybe every 6 months or so.
If tou want to avoid the Hauppauge potential problems you should investigate the HDHomerun network tuners. The connect duo and quatro. Although I think they may have discontinued them in favor of their newer ATSC3 capable tuners

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:12 pm

well thats dissappointing on not being able to have pip w/ wmc. I would prefer to aviod silicon dust products I had the home run and it was a weak tuner. thanks for advice

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:12 pm

well thats dissappointing on not being able to have pip w/ wmc. I would prefer to aviod silicon dust products I had the home run and it was a weak tuner. thanks for advice

alhaunts

Post by alhaunts » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:43 pm

I suggest the new HDHomerun Flex - 4k. I've had most of the previous generations of their tuners and this one is noticeably more sensitive than the older stuff. They use Sony tuner chips now and it shows.

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:27 pm

I've tried just about every type of OTA tuner available and now I use SD HDHR tuners exclusively, mainly because now I also use Channels DVR and it only works with the SD tuners. I had to experiment with various OTA antennas over the years to finally get a quality signal because I'm in a low area surrounded by tall trees. The HDHR tuners work just fine. The signal is probably weak because of your antenna and not the tuners. I have used antennas recommended by antennaweb.org but they all fell short of the mark. I finally found two that worked for my location. I am located between Baltimore and DC so I have one antenna pointed in each direction connected with an antenna joiner.