EPG123 1.6.7 Upgrade Causes Media Center to crash

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
devguy

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 1.6.7 Upgrade Causes Media Center to crash

Post by devguy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:13 am

Hello, I am not sure if it is just me but since I upgraded to epg123 1.6.7 my Media Center locks up. I think I was at 1.6.0 before. I noticed in the MC About it showed an update available. I visited the epg123 site and it showed newest 1.6.7 and I downloaded and installed it like I have done for many years. The upgrade went well and I opened and ran it. The data was downloaded with no problem but upon going back into Media Center and hitting the guide button MC crashed and when I brought it back up it said MC found issues with the guide and fixed them. Then when I went back to the guide no data was there. I again open and ran epg123 and the data reappeared. The guide was also slow to come up at this point. I then selected a show and received a tuner error. I went back into the settings and it seems Media Center lost my tuners after the reset also. I went through the epg123 setup again from scratch using 1.6.7 and everything again went through. I again returned to media center to setup the tuners and again the media center just freezes and crashes. I even rescanned my hdhomerun channels when I did the second setup and nothing. I was thinking of rolling back and hoping that fixes this. I have been running this media center for years and using epg123 since MS took the guide data away and I have always had no issues. So I am trying the figure out if it is just me or are others having this issue? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:19 pm

devguy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:13 am Hello, I am not sure if it is just me but since I upgraded to epg123 1.6.7 my Media Center locks up... I am trying the figure out if it is just me or are others having this issue?
I've been running it for a few days with no issues.
Last edited by StinkyImp on Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:25 pm

WMC's database recovery is a bit iffy... it sounds like it restored the wrong backups to lose your tuners. Going through the epg123 setup from scratch should have taken care of that problem. The only thing I've seen similar to this is if guide listings were imported before the tuners were setup (epg123 will protect against this), or somehow a null image link is present in the data and when WMC tries to download/show it, it will crash.

For the null image link, you could try to clear the cache and update again... see if that clears the problem. If guide listings were imported before the tuners were setup, then the database is completely borked and you will have to do a [Client Setup] again to delete the current database and start again.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

devguy

Post by devguy » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:23 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will have to try to run the setup again from scratch. Does this mean I have to run the tool to delete the MCE database and then do it again? I don't see how this could have happened. Funny thing the next day after posting this I restarted the computer and MC said it found a new tuner and if I wanted to set it up. So I choose yes and then the tuners worked until another reboot and back to the guide freezing up. I guess the whole MCE DB needs to be reset and then start from scratch. That's all that is left. I do have a pc backup if things get really ugly but hopefully, it does not come to that. This poor Windows 7 machine is giving all she can captain. :) I really hate MS for doing away with this product. Also, thanks for keeping up the guide for Media Center Gary!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 pm

Yes, you will have to open the client and click the [Client Setup] button to delete the current database and build a new one... going through WMC TV Setup again.

Getting a notification that a new tuner was found reinforces that WMC restored the wrong backup when it did a recovery. I don't know why this happens, but it does.

Hopefully the clean start will fix everything for you.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

devguy

Post by devguy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:49 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 pm Yes, you will have to open the client and click the [Client Setup] button to delete the current database and build a new one... going through WMC TV Setup again.

Getting a notification that a new tuner was found reinforces that WMC restored the wrong backup when it did a recovery. I don't know why this happens, but it does.

Hopefully the clean start will fix everything for you.
Hello, thanks for the advice. I did it and it worked. My guide now works and my Xbox 360 extenders are also good now. The first time it ever happened to me. I guess like you said MCE restored something wrong after I installed the new version.