Looking for Help With Comskip

Mailman74

HTPC Specs: Show details

Looking for Help With Comskip

Post by Mailman74 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:08 pm

I apologize but I do not understand how to set up comskip. Looking for any help here. I downloaded dvrmstoolbox but do not know how to incorporate comskip with it. I record to 2nd hdd and move the recordings to my unraid server with recorded tv manager. I just do not understand how comskip works since it does not have an easy windows interface. Looking for some guidance and information. Appreciate any help.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:34 pm

So far this is what I've learned so far. Take the downloaded comskip zip file and extract it to the dvrmstb/applications directory. Then open up the comskip.ini file that you unzipped and look for the output_dvrmstb=0 line. Change the 0 to a 1 indicating you are using dvrmstb.

Sadly that's about as far as i've been able to get so far. You can drag a TV episode file onto the comskip.exe icon and it'll process the show, but I haven't figured out how dvrmstb works. good luck.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Here's a decent setup guide:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12486/ho ... ia-center/
Half way down the page.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 pm

In my experience, pardon if I offend anybody, but wtvwatcher doesn't work as well as it should. Also, why convert to dvrms when the new comskip handles wtv files.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:56 pm

The guide is a little old, and correct, the newer Comskip can read .wtv files but it gets you going in the right direction.
wtvwatcher works 100% for me. Rock solid.

Mailman74

Post by Mailman74 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:05 pm

bmblank wrote:In my experience, pardon if I offend anybody, but wtvwatcher doesn't work as well as it should. Also, why convert to dvrms when the new comskip handles wtv files.
That's what I was thinking. So do I even need dvrmstoolbox? What is comclean for and does it work. I just want to remove commercials from it over the air recordings.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:37 am

Comskip processes the file and outputs the commercial file. Dtb and the dtb addin read the commercial file and use it to skip the commercial. Comclean, as I understand it, will use the commercial file and actually edit the commercials out of the file.

I just got my commercial skip working as of a couple of hours ago. Here's what I learned. And I'm going to work on putting together more detailed instructions some time, but for nowthis is it.

1. Output_dvrmstb in your comskip.ini should be set to 1. other output lines can probably be set to 0, like output_edl, but I haven't played around with that much.

2. when installing dtb make sure to start file watcher as a service.

3. I'm not sure if this is completely necessary, but I would imagine it helps define which files to work on, open up the processing condition editor and add a condition where file ext equals .wtv. That should prevent it from running comskip on things like log files and junk. Now that I think of it I think its more necessary than not... Make the process run the "find files in dvrms" profile. Move that condition all the way to the top of the list.

From what I can remember, that's about it. I must be forgetting something, but that should make things easier. Just restart to make sure the file watcher service is running and things should happen.

Another thing I just thought of that I should mention is that it won't necessarily do anything to the files that already exist in the watched directory. As a file is created though (or moved into the directory) it should see the file, start to wait for the file size to stop increasing

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:41 am

Sorry, android and forums are not exactly friendly. Now I'm on a computer so it should be slightly better.

Anyway, as I was saying, dtb should wait until the filesize stops increasing, so it'll wait for a period of time and then start processing the show. Processing takes some time too, so really, you probably can't watch a show till half an hour or so after it finishes recording, but it should do what you want. Now it's just a question of tuning comskip. :D

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm really looking forward to the comskip that supports live tv. :thumbup:

Mailman74

Post by Mailman74 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Another silly question. I installed all the components on my main htpc that handles all my recordings. I also have 3 client pc's in the house and last night was watching on a client pc and commercials were not being skipped. Do I also need to install something on the client pc's?

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:04 pm

you probably need to install the dtb addin on your client computers. that is actually what reads the commercial file and tells MC to skip.

Mailman74

Post by Mailman74 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:34 pm

bmblank wrote:you probably need to install the dtb addin on your client computers. that is actually what reads the commercial file and tells MC to skip.
Thanks I will work it this later today.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Each client will need to see the XML files stored on the HTPC for the shows

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:04 pm

You'll need to install dvrmstoolbox on each PC as well in order to set the place for the addin to look for the XML files without editing the registry.

Mailman74

Post by Mailman74 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:03 am

sccrgoalie1 wrote:You'll need to install dvrmstoolbox on each PC as well in order to set the place for the addin to look for the XML files without editing the registry.
How could I completely remove the commercials on my htpc so I do not need to install dvrmstoolbox on each pc?

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:13 am

You would run (and possibly have to tweak) one of the DTB profiles to cut-out the commercials. It can be automated so instead of just detecting the commercials for each new show, they would actually be cut-out and a new .wtv file created.
I would suggest caution with this method as your detection won't be 100% accurate.

Mailman74

Post by Mailman74 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:44 am

stonethecrows wrote:You would run (and possibly have to tweak) one of the DTB profiles to cut-out the commercials. It can be automated so instead of just detecting the commercials for each new show, they would actually be cut-out and a new .wtv file created.
I would suggest caution with this method as your detection won't be 100% accurate.

Thanks a lot. Man I love this site and all the help I receive.

AnnasDaddy

Post by AnnasDaddy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:04 am

If you need help setting up comskip, shoot me a PM. I can tell you that the $10 entry fee for the early downloads section is WELL worth it. I love the fact that it is faster (multi threaded), can process h.264 and wtv files natively.

As far as the file watcher, I don't personally use it. I find it easier to process all of my files at ~2:00AM (via a custom PERL script), and just have them go as fast as possible. Didn't have the guts to try and have it possibly record 4 shows, and try to process 4 shows at the same time. Theoretically my HDDs should be able to throughput that much data, but chose to err on the side of caution. Just told wifey that if she waited until the day after it aired, then the commercials would be auto-magically gone. Your mileage may vary of course.

The stock settings (with tweaking threading and dvrms bits) have actually produced almost perfect results. Only thing that I found it fails at is when there is a logo on a commercial, or worse yet a weather warning for my portion of the state. It sees it as a logo, I guess...

As far as outputting a file with no commercials, it is doable to have dvrmstoolbox output a file stripped of commercials, and leave the original in tact as well. Even more read/writes to disk though, so again not sure how well it would function with multiple other streams at the same time.

AD