Failed to install WMC on a Windows 10 laptop

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
poly8888

HTPC Specs: Show details

Failed to install WMC on a Windows 10 laptop

Post by poly8888 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:07 am

I have been using two windows 7 desktop PCs with WMC7 and HDhomerun OTA tuner cards for a long time. The PCs are getting slower and slower somehow. And also MS has discontinued the EPG in WMC. So I have been thinking about replacing them with newer PCs. But have not been able to figure out how to replace WMC. I don't need any EPG stuff. Since I only use WMC for OTA programmings, right now I just manually set the recording settings in WMC.

Today accidently I found out that you actually can install WMC in Windows 10 PCs. So I downloaded the WMC package and tried to install it on my Win10 laptop. The install failed. I have not kept up with the HTPC world for a while and cannot figure out the problem. I would appreciate if anyone here could help me out.

Here is the screenshot of the failed install cmd window. I did follow the steps laid out in the instruction and rebooted the laptop a couple of times trying again and again.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:54 am

That must be a really old version of WMC installer. I would recommend using v 8.8.5 from here: https://mega.nz/file/GKQx3aTB#1PY2AgBQh ... Sc5b2G1XhE

poly8888

Post by poly8888 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:03 pm

Thank you very much, technodevotee!!!

WOW, it actually worked. Downloaded the file and installed the BLUE version. WMC8.1 immediately popped up. After putting in the zipcode, WMC scanned in all the channels it could find through HDhomerun. Now I know I could get some win10 PCs and still be able to use WMC for recording network tv shows. Thank you again! Thank the forum!

GeeDee

Post by GeeDee » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Looks like I've missed something here.

I've run WMC as a PVR for many years on Win 7 and 8.1 but, over Christmas I've finally (delayed owing to lack of WMC) converted to Win 10 (20H2) as a clean install and have suffered with trying to use NextPVR, Kodi and other player/managers but they are all very clunky compared with the simplicity of WMC.

I've run this v8.8.5 install by following the _readme.txt, apart from removing the ehome folder as it remains protected, but all that seems to have been installed is Windows DVD Player which I do not need as I use VLC.

I thought I was going to be installing WMC as a PVR.

Is this possible as, having found this site, it got my hopes up?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:50 pm

GeeDee wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:34 pm Looks like I've missed something here.

I've run WMC as a PVR for many years on Win 7 and 8.1 but, over Christmas I've finally (delayed owing to lack of WMC) converted to Win 10 (20H2) as a clean install and have suffered with trying to use NextPVR, Kodi and other player/managers but they are all very clunky compared with the simplicity of WMC.

I've run this v8.8.5 install by following the _readme.txt, apart from removing the ehome folder as it remains protected, but all that seems to have been installed is Windows DVD Player which I do not need as I use VLC.

I thought I was going to be installing WMC as a PVR.

Is this possible as, having found this site, it got my hopes up?
have a look for the shortcut in windows accessories

GeeDee

Post by GeeDee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:01 am

Thanks

I was expecting a shortcut to appear in Recently Added.

There's a "blank" shortcut in Win Accessories which doesn't point to a file although I do now have a load of newly created WMC DLLs and folders/files in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:56 am

GeeDee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:01 am Thanks

I was expecting a shortcut to appear in Recently Added.

There's a "blank" shortcut in Win Accessories which doesn't point to a file although I do now have a load of newly created WMC DLLs and folders/files in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL
A couple of questions:

Did you unblock the zip file and where did you expand it to?

It sometimes doesn't install properly if it isn't in a short path without spaces - something like c:\utils.

GeeDee

Post by GeeDee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:01 pm

Yes to unblock (new one on me) and unzipped it to D:\1Temp\WMC-V8.8.5

I'll try C:\WMC and let you know.

GeeDee

Post by GeeDee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:48 pm

All a little strange as, after an uninstall, the new ehome folder in C:Windows contains the same as the original ehome folder and the shortcut is now referring to the ehshell.exe although WMC still not showing in Recently added.

Program opens and now scanning for channels :thumbup:

Fingers crossed.

What's really annoying is that I purchased a new Hauppage Quad TV Tuner to replace my aging TBS Quad Tuner which was only picking up limited channels (51) in NextPVR owing to a "driver issue" with Win 10 although it was working fine in NextPVR in Win8.1 with 150+ channels. Now, WMC is picking up 160 channels from my old TBS tuner.

Thanks for your advice although now wondering what the initial problem was especially as D:\1Temp is not so different from C:\WMC other than a different drive.

Thanks again

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:58 pm

GeeDee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:48 pm All a little strange as, after an uninstall, the new ehome folder in C:Windows contains the same as the original ehome folder and the shortcut is now referring to the ehshell.exe although WMC still not showing in Recently added.

Program opens and now scanning for channels :thumbup:

Fingers crossed.

What's really annoying is that I purchased a new Hauppage Quad TV Tuner to replace my aging TBS Quad Tuner which was only picking up limited channels (51) in NextPVR owing to a "driver issue" with Win 10 although it was working fine in NextPVR in Win8.1 with 150+ channels. Now, WMC is picking up 160 channels from my old TBS tuner.

Thanks for your advice although now wondering what the initial problem was especially as D:\1Temp is not so different from C:\WMC other than a different drive.

Thanks again
It is hard to know why it didn't go smoothly for you because the installer doesn't create any logs and does almost everything silently. It is something I've often wondered about addressing but there's always other things to do.

I was only looking on the internet for a Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD the other day so if you want to sell yours, send me a PM.