Reinstalling WMC on Win10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
alect71

HTPC Specs: Show details

Reinstalling WMC on Win10

Post by alect71 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:15 pm

Is there a guide somewhere I can follow including what to backup etc? I don't need to backup EPG as I have IceTV subscription EPG service.

I can't find my original link or files from I originally installed it on Win10.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:48 pm

You can download V 8.8.4 from here: https://mega.nz/#!eHh10AyC!rACoUNaJYMqm ... dx5Hp6nNkc but note that it is only available in 64 bit.

V13 is available in 32bit or 64bit from my website (in my signature) but note that there will be additional steps required and these are detailed in a file named 'known issues.txt'.

These instructions assume that you want to save WMC settings before an upgrade and reinstate it afterwards

Unblock the file and unzip it into a folder with a short path and no spaces e.g. c:\wmc

Before upgrading Windows or uninstalling the existing version, run backuprestoresettings.cmd to create a backup of the programdata\ehome folder and registry.

Run uninstaller.cmd

Let windows upgrade and finish installing everything then restart

Now run installer.cmd

Once WMC is installed, run backuprestoresettings.cmd to restore the programdata\ehome folder and registry.

Note that, irrespective of which version of WMC you install, if you are installing on 2004 or some late installs of 1909, you need to reinstate MSSQLLite and a tool to do this is included with V13 or available in 64bit only from my website.

Also, a few people (including me) have found that Windows 2004 changes the IDs of the tuners during the upgrade and WMC won't work properly after restoring a backup so it is necessary to set it up from scratch.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:47 pm

Huge thank you.

After Windows installed the latest update minutes ago, WMC stopped working. Attempting to open "ehome.exe" did absolutely nothing. :(

My "uninstaller" software (Revo) could find nothing to uninstall, so I could not reinstall WMC.

Your upload contained the necessary files to uninstall and get WMC working again in 5 minutes. :D

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:17 am

I am not moving from Windows 7 till Microsoft comes up WMC for the future
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:17 am

I am not moving from Windows 7 till Microsoft comes up WMC for the future
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:14 pm

Mugsy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:47 pm Huge thank you.

After Windows installed the latest update minutes ago, WMC stopped working. Attempting to open "ehome.exe" did absolutely nothing. :(

My "uninstaller" software (Revo) could find nothing to uninstall, so I could not reinstall WMC.

Your upload contained the necessary files to uninstall and get WMC working again in 5 minutes. :D
In case you are interested, WMC was part of Windows (a feature really) and didn't have an installer in the normal sense. Being as it is isn't supported on Windows 10 we use a fudge to approximate how it would have been added to Windows back in the mists of time so there's no uninstall option in Windows.

Everything has to be done using scripts.