How to keep WMC encrypted programs and give up cable subscription

LeonMc

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to keep WMC encrypted programs and give up cable subscription

Post by LeonMc » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Hi All,

I'm a long time, hard core W7 MCE user (previously XP MCE too) with a Ceton 4 channel card and CableCard. But Spectrum is jacking me around on prices. It's a battle every year to keep my costs in line. So, I just shopped AT&T U-verse since they just trenched my front yard to put in fiber and I was wondering if there is a way to keep my 8TB of recorded programs if I went with AT&T U-verse.

I would guess (please correct me if incorrect) that this would hinge on giving up my CableCard or not? If I can keep the card, I keep my ability to watch the previously recorded/encrypted programs, right? I.E. what cable company components are necessary just for playback of encrypted programs on my HD? Is the TA necessary too? I am pretty sure a live connection to Spectrum isn't, but I can't be sure. If I don't hand in my CableCard, does anyone know about how much they charge for this relic?

The AT&T package gets me 3-4x internet speed and more channels for about 30% less than Spectrum. But it means switching to their DVR, ugh. I haven't pulled the plug yet, just considering the consequences of doing so.

Thanks,

--Leon
--Leon

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:18 pm

No, previously recorded encrypted programs do NOT need you to have the cable card used to record them, They rely strictly on the rules of watching DRM recorded content. i.e. you watch them on the machine that recorded them or on an extender connected to the machine that recorded them. The only way that your content would become unwatchable is if you materially change the hardware of the machine they were recorded on such that the DRM on that machine is invalidated. This is usually changing the motherboard or CPU or possibly the graphics card. The cable card and TA are simply associated with the tuner and the DRM does not care which cable card or tuner was used to capture the content. You will certainly need a new cable card when going to a different cable provider. You do not need any equipment from a cable company to watch previously recorded protected content.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:57 pm

AT&T U-Verse does not use CableCard, as it is an IP-based service, so you will have to use/rent their DVR and will not be able to use WMC to record new content. but viewing old content recorded on WMC should not be a problem as long as you view them on the same system that recorded them. DRM on WMC is not linked to the service provider (or CableCard) in any way. This is a major reason (among many others) to use WMC instead of renting your provider's DVR, you do not have to maintain service in order to be able to view your old recordings, in fact you can switch to multiple different providers and DRM protected recordings made from any of them should be viewable at any time.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:11 pm

LeonMc wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 pm if I went with AT&T U-verse.
You can't get U-verse anymore, so this entire point is moot. As of last week, it's gone to new subscribers--replaced with their new IP-delivered streaming product, AT&T TV.

Oh, it's their complete custom streaming box. But it is, effectively a cable box. You get a channel grid guide, channel numbers, a remote with numbers, and so on. It bypasses the cable company, that's all.

BYOB--bring your own broadband.

LeonMc

Post by LeonMc » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:00 am

stuartm wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:18 pm No, previously recorded encrypted programs do NOT need you to have the cable card used to record them, They rely strictly on the rules of watching DRM recorded content. i.e. you watch them on the machine that recorded them or on an extender connected to the machine that recorded them. The only way that your content would become unwatchable is if you materially change the hardware of the machine they were recorded on such that the DRM on that machine is invalidated. This is usually changing the motherboard or CPU or possibly the graphics card. The cable card and TA are simply associated with the tuner and the DRM does not care which cable card or tuner was used to capture the content. You will certainly need a new cable card when going to a different cable provider. You do not need any equipment from a cable company to watch previously recorded protected content.
Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know.
--Leon

LeonMc

Post by LeonMc » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:06 am

adam1991 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:11 pm
LeonMc wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 pm if I went with AT&T U-verse.
You can't get U-verse anymore, so this entire point is moot. As of last week, it's gone to new subscribers--replaced with their new IP-delivered streaming product, AT&T TV.

Oh, it's their complete custom streaming box. But it is, effectively a cable box. You get a channel grid guide, channel numbers, a remote with numbers, and so on. It bypasses the cable company, that's all.

BYOB--bring your own broadband.
Thanks Adam. My bad, U-verse is incorrect, it is AT&T TV as you said, but they are offering me 1GB broadband to go with it for $40/mo. Not bad, but I guess you need it for the real time streaming.
--Leon

LeonMc

Post by LeonMc » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:12 am

stuartm wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:18 pm No, previously recorded encrypted programs do NOT need you to have the cable card used to record them, They rely strictly on the rules of watching DRM recorded content. i.e. you watch them on the machine that recorded them or on an extender connected to the machine that recorded them. The only way that your content would become unwatchable is if you materially change the hardware of the machine they were recorded on such that the DRM on that machine is invalidated. This is usually changing the motherboard or CPU or possibly the graphics card. The cable card and TA are simply associated with the tuner and the DRM does not care which cable card or tuner was used to capture the content. You will certainly need a new cable card when going to a different cable provider. You do not need any equipment from a cable company to watch previously recorded protected content.
IF I switch to AT&T TV, I wasn't expecting to run it thru the media center, but it would be nice if I could. I was planning on just running them parallel to each other. Thanks for the response and input.
--Leon

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:25 am

LeonMc wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:12 am
IF I switch to AT&T TV, I wasn't expecting to run it thru the media center, but it would be nice if I could. I was planning on just running them parallel to each other. Thanks for the response and input.
I know this is off of the original topic, but uverse is still available to new customers - from the AT&T site:
Does AT&T still offer U-verse TV?
Yes, AT&T still offers U-verse TV packages. However, they are not available online. To order U-verse TV, please call 844-916-2238.