v1.3.4 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

v1.3.4 Release

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:02 pm

Might as well end the year with a new release. The last iterative build was falsely being detected by MSSE/Defender as containing a Trojan. There is a fix to creation of a scheduled task if you installed in a custom folder that had a space in it. There are also a few performance/function improvements since 1.3.3 as well.

http://epg123.garyan2.net
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Thanks again for the wonderful tool, Gary!

Happy New Year to you and the rest of the wmc die hards ;-)

This may not be the best place for a somewhat philosophical question, but if it gets lost here I'll put it in its own thread.

My primary htpc has a full install of epg123. My idea is to have my bedroom htpc be a backup in case the primary has more than just a disk failure and dies. If I setup the bedroom as a client install can I, relatively easily, add the server (SD) component in the event of a failure or would it be best to just install it as a full/stand-alone install?

Once again, thanks much for the tool and support!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:06 pm

You can go ahead and run the setup package to include the server components (full install) and let it sit. You can have a full install and still operate in a Client Only or Server Only mode, so you won't have to change anything. In reality, all you did was add 2 more files. To get the full benefit of a backup, copy over your configuration from the primary HTPC located at C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\epg123.cfg.
- Gary

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:22 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:06 pm You can go ahead and run the setup package to include the server components (full install) and let it sit. You can have a full install and still operate in a Client Only or Server Only mode, so you won't have to change anything. In reality, all you did was add 2 more files. To get the full benefit of a backup, copy over your configuration from the primary HTPC located at C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\epg123.cfg.
Fantastic! Thanks much for the quick, clear answer

X1LightningMan

Post by X1LightningMan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:43 pm

Hello Gary...

I've been struggling along with Microsoft and suffering from some pretty serious abandonment issues, lol.

First, I would like to thank you for all your hard work and dedication to keeping the guide working for WMC. :clap:

In the past week I have noticed that when I manually update the guide using Microsoft's ROVI it would say successful. I was under the impression that the last day of updates would be yesterday and that it would download the next 2 weeks of schedule. This was wishful thinking at this time of year when we all have so many things going on. I've been pushing off everything possible.

So 2 days ago I noticed it was saying that the listings were not updating past last night. But it kept saying it would retry. Well, it didn't succeed; and so now I have no guide listings. I had already, in anticipation, setup an acct at Schedules Direct including setting up my applicable lineup. So this morning I downloaded the epg123 software. I figured this would not be a problem. Curse you Microsoft!!

Sorry for the big lead-up/background to my actual question...

My Windows Media Center is getting stuck on the "Downloading TV Setup Data". I've tried this multiple times after restarts, no good. The actual install and initial setup of epg123 went fine. Since it gets stuck at the first part of the WMC Live TV setup, when I choose cancel it gives no option but to "Finnish" and exit the setup.

Any ideas what I can do to get past this step? I noticed all your wonderful instructions are from before Microsoft pulled the plug on the guide. Is it possible that in doing that they have broken the part of the live TV setup that gets you to the TV Signal setup?

Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. I hope I can get this fixed today.

Ken (X1LightningMan)
I Am a GreenButton Addict

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:48 pm

X1LightningMan wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:43 pm Hello Gary...
Ken, take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12623&hilit=downloading. It links 3 other threads, but one of the methods should work in getting past the Downloading... stage.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:03 pm

It's probably a good idea to add the "pull the plug" and 00000 zip code workarounds to the install instructions. This seems to be the #1 question on these forums. I doubt Microsoft is going to do anything to resolve this issue any time soon. If they take down the server, I think the same problem will persist as it will just be a timeout situation that never times out, rather than an explicit "denied" response.

X1LightningMan

Post by X1LightningMan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:10 pm

Thank you Gary and Space...

I have something copying to the crate right now. As soon as it completes, I will yank the ethernet and give the 0's a try.

Thanks again,

Ken

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:26 am

Thanks Gary, its working great here so far.

candleman

Post by candleman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:43 am

Was there supposed to be a fix to the hdhr2mxf issue from the 1.3.1 release thread? I'm getting a "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." when trying to import the mxf after converting the xmltv file

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:40 am

candleman wrote:Was there supposed to be a fix to the hdhr2mxf issue from the 1.3.1 release thread? I'm getting a "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." when trying to import the mxf after converting the xmltv file
As far as I know, v1.3.4 is good. If it is not working, could you zip and send me the mxf and xmltv files to support@garyan2.net?
- Gary

candleman

Post by candleman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:02 am

I managed to fix the issue by rescanning the channels; then retrying the setup procedure. I assuming the issue has something to do with listings not matching existing entries. Is there any reason that non existing entries cannot either be ignored or created by the import tool? It appears the tool just exits on error instead.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:19 pm

If the error doesn't exist anymore, then I can't find out what it was. Once I know that, I can either fix it or catch the exception and handle it properly. If it happens again, please preserve the xmltv and mxf files so I can find out where the error is coming from.
- Gary

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:17 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:06 pm You can go ahead and run the setup package to include the server components (full install) and let it sit. You can have a full install and still operate in a Client Only or Server Only mode, so you won't have to change anything. In reality, all you did was add 2 more files. To get the full benefit of a backup, copy over your configuration from the primary HTPC located at C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\epg123.cfg.
<remnder, I'm using portable, if that matters>

<anything bad happen if both PCs run the same copy from a network drive?>

OK, making sure I understand setting up a "client only" setup.

First thing it seems to want me to do is point it to the mxf file. Assume it is wanting a share on the "server PC", correct?

I hate to setup another share just for the mxf folder. Can I get epg123 to copy the mxf file to an existing folder after it does the scheduled update? Or maybe I should just redo my portable install so it is installed within a shared structure.

Thanks again for the help!

Space

Post by Space » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:40 pm

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:59 pm

Space wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:40 pm viewtopic.php?p=136097#p136097
Thank you!

shpitz461

Post by shpitz461 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:14 am

Hi Gary, enjoying EPG123 but having an issue with CBS, it won't list the NFL game @ 8pm Eastern.
epg01.png
epg02.png
I tried Clean Database via EPG123 Client but same info keeps showing for that 8pm on 46.1 CBS.

Any idea how to troubleshoot that?

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:25 am

I just pulled that station's listings and get the same thing. You will need to submit a ticket to Schedules Direct... that ain't right.

By the way; perfect troubleshooting. Comparing what you see with what Zap2it shows is exactly what you want to do if you suspect an error in the guide.

EDIT: when you submit a ticket, note that the station id is 24505.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:37 am

Should you also check the MXF file to see if it is correct in there? Could it not be a problem with importing the guide?