After OS reinstall W7MC recordings are missing

stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

After OS reinstall W7MC recordings are missing

Post by stevethebrain » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:37 pm

after OS reinstall W7MC programs are missing

What happened to W7MC programs?

Before the reinstalled OS there where 850 programs now reduced to 201 after the OS install.

The programs are still on there storage drives and can be viewed though explorer kind of inconvenient.

I’ve attempted to add to the W7MC playlist by highlighting the explorer file however these shows still don’t display in MC.

The initial attempt I highlighted all the files plus a folder of recorded TV.

Should I just highlight programs outside the folder then add to playlist?

additionally all the files w/in explorer have the green button icon in lower bottom.

also the sample video has disappeared I use it as a starting point..
Thanks STB

Space

Post by Space » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:24 pm

If you reinstalled Windows from scratch, then everything is set to it's defaults. WMC, by default, only looks in certain locations for videos. If your videos are in locations not looked at by WMC, they will not be displayed within WMC.

You can add more folders to the "libraries" that WMC looks at using the procedure in the below link:

https://ccm.net/faq/32049-windows-media ... -libraries

Note that you should choose "Recorded TV" for the library type if the videos are WTV files (recordings made by WMC).

Also note, that since you reinstalled Windows, if any of your old recordings are copy protected, they will be unplayable on your system. A Windows reinstall changes the encryption keys of the system, so old videos with DRM will not play.

Normally it is advised that after you set up your system, you should make a disk image backup of the Windows partition (and any supporting partitions) of the hard drive. In this way you can restore your machine to an earlier state and your copy protected videos should still play, as long as you copy over the licenses file (which contains the individual licenses for each of your copy protected videos and is updated every time you record a new copy protected video) from your current Windows installation to the restored image.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:28 pm

actually over the years I have reinstalled the OS w/out any issues like these programs not being displayed in w7mc.
weird that the sample video of the mountain is also missing.

I`ve never added any folders however I do observe the displayed programs (recorded TV) in w7mc are in explorer recorded TV folders.
all the programs on the designated w7mc storage are displayed in both w7mc & explorer.

in another storage drive I observed another recorded TV folder so I dragged these programs inside this folder yesterday and now they are being displayed in w7mc so I created another recorded TV folder in that drive using windows these program weren't added to w7mc playlist. are you saying I have to create the folder in w7mc?

I have made a few attempts at creating a image of the sys. keep getting errors scan either the C drive or the destination which I did.
my destination was a my passport which it has many files I`ve achieved ? mut the destination drive be empty? the sys. is relatively small at 39.1GB I do have a flash drive of 64GB which I`ll use on next attempt should the image be the only data file on this drive?

I`ve also read that all storage drives must be disconnected before creating the image even though I select C drive is this true or false?
thanks for support I`ll be studying the add folder links you where kind enough to provide. STB

Space

Post by Space » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:13 pm

stevethebrain wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:28 pm...
in another storage drive I observed another recorded TV folder so I dragged these programs inside this folder yesterday and now they are being displayed in w7mc so I created another recorded TV folder in that drive using windows these program weren't added to w7mc playlist. are you saying I have to create the folder in w7mc?
The way I add new "folders" for WMC to display is in the link I provided, that is the only way I have done it. Note that you are not "creating" folders in WMC, just pointing to existing folders so it knows where to find the videos.

Also note that Windows also has it's own "libraries" (for instance "My Videos", "My Documents") which are not folders, but are multiple folders combined. I am not sure how these relate to the libraries in WMC (if at all) as I've never tested them with WMC.
stevethebrain wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:28 pm...
I have made a few attempts at creating a image of the sys. keep getting errors scan either the C drive or the destination which I did.
my destination was a my passport which it has many files I`ve achieved ? mut the destination drive be empty? the sys. is relatively small at 39.1GB I do have a flash drive of 64GB which I`ll use on next attempt should the image be the only data file on this drive?

I`ve also read that all storage drives must be disconnected before creating the image even though I select C drive is this true or false?
thanks for support I`ll be studying the add folder links you where kind enough to provide. STB
What are you using to make images? What error are you getting?

One issue I've had with Macrium Reflect is that after creating an image, I then run the "Verify" within Reflect to make sure it is OK, it passes. However, if I then copy it do an external USB drive and then run verify again, it fails (sometimes). According to the Macrium website, this is due to a faulty HD or faulty connection. I do find this hard to believe, but I have had several instances of copying the file to an external HD, and it failing verification, then making ure the USB cable is secure, then copying the exact same file to the external HD again and it passing the verify test. I don't know how it could be that the data is getting corrupted, and makes me a bit afraid of external HDs.

As for external HD's having to be disconnected when making a system image, I never heard of that, but I usually don't have them connected when making an image. I make the image to another internal drive and then (if needed) copy the backup file to the external.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:47 am

I`ve never created recorded TV folders. I believe w7mc creates them in both windows & w7mc from the designated storage DS.
so I`m assuming each time I add a DS I`ve also added a recorded TV folder.

as far as the image of the sys. my plan was to to create a image the errors I was getting was to scan check either source or destination drive attached image of error message.I`m assuming the I/O part of error is in out a physical connection maybe.

now after studying a bit I find a recovery disc is created first then the image.

more bad news the recent problem HDD the one that flaked in and out after formatting remember when it flaked out it also took out another drive the G the G is where I transferred files from to the problem drive it flaked out for good now.
doe`s this sound like my SATA ports are failing the physical data connection, I`ve never had SATA go bad so I don`t know what to expect.my MOBO has 6 SATAs 4 are still functioning.

I`ll attempt on Tuesday to interface the G w/ a external USB basically bypassing the SATA. how are SATA ports tested?
thanks STB
Attachments
restore errors on backup.jpg