New user - fresh install - observations and thanks!

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
winterescape

HTPC Specs: Show details

New user - fresh install - observations and thanks!

Post by winterescape » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Gary,
First a very big thanks for saving us. Some time back in anticipation of WMC imminent demise I purchased a lifetime Tivo Roamio OTA. Man did that thing suck after using WMC!
Needless to say I quickly reconnected WMC.

Your tool and automated transfer process went very well. Only two minor issues.
After the WMC tuner add portion the transfer tool reported "The tuner increase did not stick, do you want to tweak it and try again?"
I did and it still reported the same error, so I moved on. My system has three tuners, a dual SD tuner and a PCI card hauppauge for a total of three OTA tuners. Best I can tell searching the forum this is only required if you have more than 4 or 5 tuners? Honestly it has been so long since I worked on any of this I concluded this did not apply. A suggested feedback for that message would be something like
"The tuner increase did not work, if you have 4 tuners or less just ignore this error and continue, if you have 5 or more tuners tweak and retry"

The second minor issue was matching programs, most matched just fine, but Frontline on PBS had no match on schedules direct, it was blank. I ended up skipping it and then searching on it to add a recording and found it and re added it. You might pop a message that says "if you fail to find a match note the missing program and re add it using the search in the schedule after set up" Maybe this is obvious, I have no idea why it could not be matched using your tool.

Lastly, I had to search here to understand what the yellow icon on the start page is trying to tell me, turns out mine is yellow as I just signed up for the trail of SD and it is due to expire soon.

Anyway, donation on its way for all of your greatly appreciated hard work developing EPG123 I will be very curious to see if you publish any monthly download statistics when MS finally goes dark with the schedule to see how many other geeks like me are still clinging to WMC DVR ;-)

P.S. if you have any SD coupon codes left for EPG123 donators I could use one :)

winterescape

Post by winterescape » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Ok, I spoke to fast, going through the upcoming recordings I noticed several were missing, I tried rescanning and trying to set up letting MS select the configuration, OTA, digital, but not all my channels appeared, I searched the forums and eventually your pdf instructions and found the section titled "Additional OTA Configuration" followed the instructions and now I believe all is good, total time invested is now at 3.25 hours :-(

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Thank you very much for your feedback. Getting fresh eyes on the entire process helps out quite a bit to try and improve the experience.

Though the website contains the below note, it does not explicitly say that the tuner limit increase tweak can be ignored if you have 4 or less of any type. I think putting it in the prompt would be a good path.
NOTE
If you have 5 or more tuners of any type (ATSC, ClearQAM, Cable, Digital Cable, DVB-T, DVB-S, DVB-C, etc.) and WMC TV Setup will only allow a maximum of 4 to be used, then the tuner limit increase tweak applied in Step 1 was overwritten. Exit WMC and EPG123 will verify the failed tweak and offer to apply it again and restart Step 2 from the beginning. To begin TV Setup in WMC again, select settings->TV->TV Signal->Set Up TV Signal and click the [Yes] button.
I am not sure why the tweak would not have worked the second time though... strange. I've found that the first tweak may fail because it gets overwritten by a WMC package update after it creates a new database. Failing the second time would show that I may not understand all the reasons the tweak could fail.

The Frontline series is part of my translation table, so it should have transferred over without a problem. The Rovi ID is 313446695 while the Gracenote ID is 00001762. Was your Frontline recording request working while using Rovi? Was it a series request or a one-time request? I'm curious on this one is all. I could figure it out if you sent me you backup file, but I'm not too worked up about it. Besides, in a little over a month the Transfer Tool is going to be a bit less relevant.

I think using the Transfer Tool and not being able to transfer over a series would be obvious that you need to do it the old fashioned way. I would also argue that any series that does not transfer over has not been broadcast in 2 1/2 years (in the US). I've been updating the translation database every 2 weeks since around July 2017 and currently have 30,932 series listed. Those that don't make it in the database are typically due to different titles between Rovi and Gracenote. An example would be Rovi: "Ernie Ball Presents The Pursuit of Tone" versus Gracenote: "Ernie Ball: The Pursuit of Tone" which scores a 76.9% match whereas my cutoff for making it into the database is 85%.

Always a future plan to include a Support/Troubleshoot area on the website that would describe the icons, the trace.log file entries, and the client pieces. Still in the works, but it's just me handling the 30,861 lines of code, the website, the forums, the guides, and anything else EPG123 related.

Thank you for your donation, always appreciated!
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:07 pm

winterescape wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:59 pm Ok, I spoke to fast, going through the upcoming recordings I noticed several were missing, I tried rescanning and trying to set up letting MS select the configuration, OTA, digital, but not all my channels appeared, I searched the forums and eventually your pdf instructions and found the section titled "Additional OTA Configuration" followed the instructions and now I believe all is good, total time invested is now at 3.25 hours :-(
I'm going to change the note on the website for this from:
For those with ATSC Over-the-Air (OTA) tuners, some additional setup may be required. Refer to Additional OTA Configuration
to:
For those with ATSC Over-the-Air (OTA) tuners, additional setup will be required in order to receive your local VHF channels. Refer to Additional OTA Configuration.
Maybe that will help. There is no way EPG123 will be able to detect whether it will be required or not.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

winterescape

Post by winterescape » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:07 pm

garyan2 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:05 pm
The Frontline series is part of my translation table, so it should have transferred over without a problem. The Rovi ID is 313446695 while the Gracenote ID is 00001762. Was your Frontline recording request working while using Rovi? Was it a series request or a one-time request? I'm curious on this one is all. I could figure it out if you sent me you backup file, but I'm not too worked up about it. Besides, in a little over a month the Transfer Tool is going to be a bit less relevant.
Gary, It was a series request, had been working fine and recording, as I remember the tool, three boxes with the series description, first two were populated, third was empty. Yeah, very minor issue...