Remote for Ceton Q & Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 pm

sgtpokey wrote:
richard1980 wrote:TBH, I don't care what kind of remote comes with the Q or Echo. I don't intend to use it. If I buy the Q or the Echo, I intend to use my Harmony remote. Now if Ceton makes a remote that can replace my Harmony, that would be a little different.
Almost the opposite for me. If I get an Echo extender I want a simple remote with the abiltiy to power off the TV <-- that's the only "universal" functionality i need for an extender, which is meant to be used by a non power user (my wife or my toddler in my case)
What about TV volume? Or are we planning on using the 7MC volume capability? I don't use that, for some reason. Maybe I should take another look at it.

If I got a "Q" embedded media center system, then I'd still want a fairly basic remote with the possible exception of controlling an audio system as well. For the most part my househould values simplicity and even the logitich 300 that we use has "too much functionaliyy". Ideally, I want a guest/babysitter/parent to be able to just use the TV without instruction.
Hear hear!

Part of that is on us, though. We can't make a gawdawful system that pleases one person. We have to compromise so the family can use it, as you say.

I'm thinking of getting a ZVox Audio speaker system; simple, sits right under the TV, and--very importantly--the audio system itself is designed to accept the volume and mute controls you're already sending out. No need to reprogram a remote; no, just tell the audio system what to listen for and respond to. I really like that idea. That means you can use the regular TV remote and still get the results you're looking for. THAT'S wife/babysitter friendly.

chanmanx2k

Post by chanmanx2k » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:06 am

Honestly, the best remote right now for HTPC is the gyration remote. The only flaw in the remote was the lack of a 'volume punchthrough' to adjust volume for receivers and televisions.

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:39 am

I agree re: gyration. Great remote for HTPCs, although if we don't ever switch the desktop, it loses some of its luster.

I would imagine that if they implimented HDMI-CEC correctly, programmable IR codes would be unnecessary. A single power button would turn on the Q, automatically turn on the TV, and switch the correct input- all at once. The volume control should probably transmit (again via HdMI-CEC) to the TV or Receiver, as when you've got DD sound, the media center volume control doesn't control it. Although it'd be nice if the volume of media center did change in sync with the TV/Receiver, so we still have the on-screen indicator.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

wayner

Post by wayner » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Make it as cheap as possible so I won't use it since I have Harmony remotes so it will sit in a drawer as backup. But please make the functonality accessible via a TCP/IP protocol if at all possible.