Looking for program

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
StinkyImp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Re: Looking for program

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi Space,

Thank you for recommending WinMerge! That suggestion has made this utility super useful and SUPER FAST!

I like to purge items out of my library every few years for whatever reason. Not because of space, but because I really have no desire to watch them ever again and they're just clutter. Based on what I found when looking around my system, I perform this about every 3 to 4 years. It was monotonous and time consuming to export my library (using Media Center Master) into Excel and then go to my previous spreadsheet and perform various tedious operations. It would take a day (or more) and that's why I didn't clean up my library very often.

This utility using WinMerge brings this process down to mere seconds!

I opened one of the spreadsheets that I created in June 2016 (my last purge) and concatenated the information in the format used by this utility, copied and pasted it into a text document, and then ran the compare. Amazing!

The list on the left is my library in June 2016 and the right is a current snapshot. The highlighted items on the left were purged and the highlighted ones on the right have been added.

Thanks again for your suggestion... You ROCK! :thumbup:

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 pm

You're welcome :)

One of the things I use it for is to periodically see if any channel deletions/additions were made to my FiOS lineup, it also tells me if the channel has transitioned from unsubscribed/subscribed and vice-versa (sometimes channels are added/deleted to my package, even though they are not "new" channels, such as BBC America being added at one point when it was originally only in a higher tier package). Verizon tends to not be very vocal about changes like this, so it's a good way to keep track of them.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:30 pm

In retrospect I believe you're due the majority of the credit. The utility I built simply does everything you suggested in your first response to Rickt1962.
  1. Create a snapshot (your idea)
  2. Create another snapshot at a later date (your idea)
  3. Compare those two with WinMerge (your idea)
All I did was create a GUI with some buttons and stuff to perform those tasks programatically and then tied a little bow on it to keep everything in one place.

In short... You were the architect and I was the hammer. ;)