Long term: WMC alternative for simple OTA PVR?

dhalbert

HTPC Specs: Show details

Long term: WMC alternative for simple OTA PVR?

Post by dhalbert » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:04 am

We have a Win7 machine running WMC to a single TV, recording only OTA with an HDHomerun HDHR-T1-US (old blue model). Except for occasional Rovi guide hiccups, it has worked fine, and I'm happy to continue using it as a long as possible. My single 1TB HDD is more than enough.

But if this setup started to act up, due to guide issues, eventual lack of MS support, etc., I haven't yet figured out an alternative. I'm not interested in an HTPC media server blah blah, just OTA PVR functionality. I have no personal video library I want to play. I'm happy using Chromecast, Roku or similar to play Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.

What do you consider to be the best solution for an OTA PVR if you couldn't use WMC? I had thought that the HDHomeRun DVR service was the long-term path, but the reviews don't look very favorable. Maybe I'm wrong, but Plex, Kodi, etc. seem to be very media-server-centric, with PVR as an afterthought.I'm willing to set up a NAS, buy a new tuner, or whatever, if necessary. I'm technically fine with setting up Linux systems, so getting something running is not an issue. Picking something that works well and is an acceptable alternative to WMC DVR is what I think I need to have planned.

Thanks!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:15 am

I think the best OTA DVR is a Tivo Roamio with a lifetime subscription. You can pickup a used one on eBay for not a lot of money. I got mine for around $220 and I love it. It just works. You can program recordings remotely via the mobile app or the Tivo online website. Also, it has one button commercial skip on most shows which is awesome.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:05 am

If you just want a really stable PVR that doesn't change very often, then maybe look into next pvr as well. I'm sure TIVO is great too but NPVR is free if your looking for that option. You can probably use mc2xml to import guide data if your happy with rovi. If not then I'm sure there is a schedules direct option. Then again if nothing is wrong with WMC, why change it?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:48 pm

Amazon Recast will also be a good option when it's released in November.

Channel Master Stream+ is an ok option.