Schedule Programs without recording

pbrown

HTPC Specs: Show details

Schedule Programs without recording

Post by pbrown » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:33 am

Now I know this has been addressed before because I found a topic like 2 years ago.... but can't find any evidence of anyone asking this recently.

I am running multiple tuners. Now one way, when i was running a single tuner, to plan my programs automatically for the evening would be to record them and this would force the tuner to change once another program was coming on....

But with multiple tuners this isn't possible and to be honest I don't really like recording everything as it takes up space and I need to delete everything or I suppose I could setup auto delete once watched I suppose..

Is there any addon that will allow me to select programs in media centers guide and have them automatically change the active tuner to follow the schedule preferably without recording but if need be it can keep recording.... And I don't want to disable a tuner because sometimes I watch a program while another records.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:00 am

The answer is no.

Just record everything. You can set preferences to delete once watched, or only keep 1 instance of each series. Of course not constraining yourself to live TV schedules is the ultimate solution here. Then you need not worry about when things are actually on and you can skip past adverts quickly.

IMHO, it's how a DVR is meant to be used.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Now one way, when i was running a single tuner, to plan my programs automatically for the evening would be to record them and this would force the tuner to change once another program was coming on....

to be honest I don't really like recording everything as it takes up space and I need to delete everything
But you were recording everything before, and had to delete it all--right?

You were simply using the fact of a single tuner to switch channels for you without you having to remember "what do I watch now?" But you still had to delete what it was recording, right?

It's no different with multiple tuners, except that now you can record oodles of stuff at once that you have to delete later.

Just record it all and start watching it ten minutes in or something, and set all your defaults to "delete after I watch". And make sure you don't record two or more things at the same time--because after all, your old single tuner couldn't do that. That'll give you what you had before--a simple list of things in order to follow without you having to remember what it all was. The only difference is, you'll have to go back to Recorded TV to get to the next one, instead of just sitting there while the tuner just jumps around.

Or, here's an idea: let's say you have four tuners. Set up a manual time-based recording for each of three of the tuners for 8pm to 11pm on some shopping channel or whatever. Then set up automatic schedule-based recordings for the shows you want to watch one at a time. This will force the one available tuner to jump around as the only remaining available tuner, and you will get the effect of having only one tuner like you had before.

But honestly, why multiple tuners if you don't want to use them?

Media Center wasn't really set up to do what you want, and rightly so.

The above all presumes you *want* the ability to have multiple tuners during other parts of the day.

But, if you just want to throw away the functionality of the other tuners you bought and want to see a single tuner system again, just go into setup and disable the other tuners.