WMC HTPC rebooting/disconnects from extenders

Randyored

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC HTPC rebooting/disconnects from extenders

Post by Randyored » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:42 am

Big problem:
Here is my system...
Motherboard is older (HP MC m8330f - onboard sound disappeared)
Clean Windows 7 install 5 years ago.
Ceton InfiniTV 4 (Motorola cablecard installed Spectrum/TWC)
6 XBOX 360 extenders (rarely more than 3 on at a time - used to have a full 5 on at a time).

Problem:
About 6 months ago the system began disconnecting from the extenders and/or reboot the MC.
This could happen with only 1 extender on. Starting another extender would freeze or reboot the MC PC.

I thought it might be my Actiontec MOCA network, but one of my extenders is direct connect gigabit and it still occurs.

I need help figuring what the heck is wrong. I have an 8gb drive with a lot of protected TV. Rebuilding is the absolute last resort (trip DRM).

Any ideas?

RandyO

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:03 pm

Network card ? Check the Sleep settings in the deice settings make sure it it's unchecked "allow this deice to sleep" or something of that sort. Some times this goes a little haywire.

And a switch in-between. Give your switches a unplug, wait 2 min and plug back in. I see this time to time on budget friendly gigabit switches/hubs (esp if you have a few around the home, reboot it all). A reboot normally solves these issues.

Check disk space too, If your OS drive is completely out of space it could have these type of issues.

Just some things to try...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Randyored

Post by Randyored » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:04 am

DavidinCT wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:03 pm Network card ? Check the Sleep settings in the deice settings make sure it it's unchecked "allow this deice to sleep" or something of that sort. Some times this goes a little haywire.

And a switch in-between. Give your switches a unplug, wait 2 min and plug back in. I see this time to time on budget friendly gigabit switches/hubs (esp if you have a few around the home, reboot it all). A reboot normally solves these issues.

Check disk space too, If your OS drive is completely out of space it could have these type of issues.

Just some things to try...
HI David,
I already tried swapping gigabit NIC cards. No love there. I came to the conclusion that the old AMD 4 core motherboard was on its way out since the onboard audio flaked out of existence. The bullet was TWC/Spectrum policy of copy protection on ALL cable channels. Only broadcast channel were saved. Don't get me started.

SO... I bit the bullet and swapped to a Asus motherboard that supports a spare AMD 6 core cpu I had on the shelf. I always use a secondary 4tb hard drive that hold all recorded shows. The OS drive is an Intel SSD 480gb drive. The install was rough. I have not had to do it in a while. Digital Cable Advisor did not like the onboard video. No problem... I used the video card from the original MC. The Digital Cable Advisor loved it.

All setup. No glitching, freezing, reboots, or lost recording shows.

I do have an issue with the call signs not showing in the guide. Not sure there.

Thanks for the the suggestions!

RandyO