Using epg123.xmltv in Plex?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Using epg123.xmltv in Plex?

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:15 pm

I set up epg123 to create epg123.xmltv in the default folder of c:\epg123\output\epg123.xmltv.

I successfully loaded this guide data into Emby without issue.

When setting up the DVR and Guide in Plex I use this path and file but get an error that says, "Invalid or missing file" and doesn't create the DVR or the guide. Does Plex only want a *.xml file instead of a *.xmltv file for guide data or should a *.xmltv file work?

I really want to set Plex up to record the new SiliconDust HDHomeRun Premium TV Channels using ComSkip and Plex Recorded TV file management along with epg123 / Schedules Direct / Gracenote Guide Data.

What gives?

TIA

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:33 pm

You can always change the extension to ".xml" to see if Plex takes it in then.

This could be a problem with my file not complying with a strict interpretation of the xmltv.dtd (Document Type Definition). Is there any log in Plex that would be able to tell you what it is not accepting?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:17 pm

garyan2 wrote:You can always change the extension to ".xml" to see if Plex takes it in then.

This could be a problem with my file not complying with a strict interpretation of the xmltv.dtd (Document Type Definition). Is there any log in Plex that would be able to tell you what it is not accepting?
Yes, I'll dig up the log and pass it on..

But first I'll try to load it by changing the *.xmltv file to *.xml. Is there a way to automate to save as epg123.xml so that both files exist? The epg123.xmltv file works without issue in Emby so I need that to remain or can I point Emby to epg123.xml too?

Thanks.

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:10 pm

This is a thread over on the plex forums:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/is-it-possible ... /281771/26

I am not sure the log will help much
Attachments
Plex.zip
(269.65 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:21 pm

kanipek wrote:This is a thread over on the plex forums:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/is-it-possible ... /281771/26

I am not sure the log will help much
I actually started that thread using the name I've used with Plex for almost 10 years now. There's not much traction on getting it to work and none of the developers have chimed in which is sad.

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 pm

It looks like it has to be placed in a specific location for the moment.
See:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/set-up-xmltv-f ... ata/194262

I placed mine as suggested in:\\localhost\c$\plex\epg123b.xml - that fixed the error and loaded the channels, mapping did NOT occur automatically. I am manually mapping ATM.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:41 pm

kanipek wrote:It looks like it has to be placed in a specific location for the moment.
See:

I placed mine as suggested in:\\localhost\c$\plex\epg123b.xml - that fixed the error and loaded the channels, mapping did NOT occur automatically. I am manually mapping ATM.
So now I need a little script to run on a schedule to move it? Sounds like a big pain in the @$$..

.. or not! LOL

I'll just have a .bat that says the following:

Code: Select all

robocopy c:\epg123\output\epg123.xmltv c:\Plex\epg123.xml

and run it as a scheduled task maybe an hour or so after epg123 runs?
Last edited by Sammy2 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:51 pm

That is an easy thing.
I personally don't see an advantage here to using XMLTV with plex.
The data being displayed looks the same to me. Virtually no difference.
Except for not wanting to use my logos, which is probably because they are not the correct size.
I can't speak to the reliability or accuracy of the plex supplied guide data as i really don't do much with plex other than play/compare.
Sammy2 wrote:
kanipek wrote:It looks like it has to be placed in a specific location for the moment.
See:

So now I need a little script to run on a schedule to move it? Sounds like a big pain in the butt..
Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:59 pm

kanipek wrote:That is an easy thing.
Except for not wanting to use my logos, which is probably because they are not the correct size.
I can't speak to the reliability or accuracy of the plex supplied guide data as i really don't do much with plex other than play/compare.
Sammy2 wrote:
See:

So now I need a little script to run on a schedule to move it? Sounds like a big pain in the butt..
If you are using the new SiliconDust HDHomeRun PremiumTV and want the channels in the guide, you have no choice atm.

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:01 pm

Well there you go then!
Not enough concurrent streams for me, otherwise I would be right there with you.
Sammy2 wrote:
Sammy2 wrote: So now I need a little script to run on a schedule to move it? Sounds like a big pain in the butt..
If you are using the new SiliconDust HDHomeRun PremiumTV and want the channels in the guide, you have no choice atm.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:17 pm

kanipek wrote:Well there you go then!
Not enough concurrent streams for me, otherwise I would be right there with you.

Four's good enough for me but I want more channels! Trying to decide the worth of it now.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:23 am

Sammy2 wrote:
See:

I put in that path and it still doesn't work. I guess I don't know where to put the epg123.xml file so Plex can find it. Too much effort. Emby FTW.

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:30 am

@sammy
You need to create the folder c:\plex folder then put your XMLTV file in the folder. Then use \\localhost\c$\xmlfilename.xml when plex asks you for the path.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:09 pm

kanipek wrote:@sammy
You need to create the folder c:\plex folder then put your XMLTV file in the folder. Then use \\localhost\c$\xmlfilename.xml when plex asks you for the path.

I created the folder and put the file in it. I then pointed Plex DVR to \\localhost\c$\epg123.xml and to \\localhost\c$\plex\epg123.xml. I then shared the folder c:\plex and tried using the above and \\computername\c$\plex\epg123.xml. Still not working.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:21 pm

So I logged off the HTPC user and logged back in, reloading Plex Server then tried again.

I was able to push through but got to a screen saying, "Unable to load channel mappings". I clicked "Continue" and got the same screen with a spinner where it previously said "Continue".

I then clicked "Cancel" and it brought me back to the "Setup DVR" screen which now cannot even find my HDHR Connect Quatro even when I manually enter its ip address.

Apparently, this crashed my Plex Server and I need to reload it then log back in.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 pm

So I went ahead and loaded the local Uverse Lineup for my ZIP Code. Lots of re-mapping to do and I need to get out the Uverse List to do some of them as they all showed up as the SD channel numbers or not at all and some of the HD numbers are not related to the SD numbers, fortunately most are.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:28 pm

I'm a little confused, now. Sammy2, you are aware that Schedules Direct created lineups for HDHomeRun Premium TV, right? There are 2 new lineups, one for East and one for West. That is why I didn't publish a new version of EPG123 with custom lineups... not desperately needed now.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:37 pm

garyan2 wrote:I'm a little confused, now. Sammy2, you are aware that Schedules Direct created lineups for HDHomeRun Premium TV, right? There are 2 new lineups, one for East and one for West. That is why I didn't publish a new version of EPG123 with custom lineups... not desperately needed now.
Yes, I am very aware. I am using the Pacific Lineup with my OTA Lineup without issue in Emby right now. Getting them to work in Plex is a no-go so I went back to the Uverse Lineup which needs a whole lot of channel re-mapping and is also missing some of the OTA local sub channels. I have not been successful in loading the epg123.xmltv or renamed and moved epg123.xml into Plex. I like Plex DVR as it has ComSkip built in and ComSkip works pretty well natively in Plex. Soon enough, Emby will have ComSkip built in too. It is in the installation package right now but not enabled yet. When that happens I won't be using Plex DVR any longer maybe as I do like the layout better than in Emby..

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Ah, so the problem is
1. Plex doesn't support the new lineups from Schedules Direct yet, and
2. Plex can't find the XMLTV file you point it to (workaround for number 1) unless it is in a specific place.

Number 1 may be understandable based on their approach to providing guide listings, but number 2 is completely ridiculous. What a shame.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:02 pm

To add to number 2, even when it does find it, it fails to map the channels but rather just sits there spinning and spinning. IDK if it is expecting a particular format for the xml file or if it is just broken. They are so closed source and unresponsive. Luke chimes in on almost every post. IDK how he has the time to do that and do code plus I think the Emby Team isn't really full time either.