WMC TV setup cannot continue

zippyaus

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC TV setup cannot continue

Post by zippyaus » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi

So I still am running my Win7 media centre. The other night I found that I only had 2 tuners available to I re-ran the setup only to encounter

tv setup cannot continue tv setup has encountered a serious problem.

I have searched Google and tried everything from uninstalling the service, to deleting the ehome folders.

I have even installed MediaPortal and NextPVC. These have no issues with my tuner cards and I can record and view on all channels.

But the WAF is low with these and I miss my WMC. Please help me get it going again.

Many thanks

ZP

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:52 pm

zippyaus wrote:Hi

So I still am running my Win7 media centre. The other night I found that I only had 2 tuners available to I re-ran the setup only to encounter

tv setup cannot continue tv setup has encountered a serious problem.

I have searched Google and tried everything from uninstalling the service, to deleting the ehome folders.

I have even installed MediaPortal and NextPVC. These have no issues with my tuner cards and I can record and view on all channels.

But the WAF is low with these and I miss my WMC. Please help me get it going again.

Many thanks

ZP

Hmmm... So, i you reset to factory and it's still doing it ? If your OK with Nuking all your settings. Open the Task Scheduler, Microsoft> Media Center> and run the MediaCenterRecoveryTask.

This will do a factory reset in WMC... and reinstall your tuner card drivers (as WMC might not have them any more due to nuking settings). AFTER all this, reboot your computer (Important), then re-run setup.

Let us know your results.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

zippyaus

Post by zippyaus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:03 am

OK .. so I think maybe this is the cause.

I reset my drivers on the tuner cards.

But when I went to the task scheduler it said that the selected task {0} no longer exists over and over again.

One of the issues I was having was that when re-tuning the guide check never started so I have had to start the mcupdate.exe manually to progress.

Now it appears that all of the scheduled tasks are corrupt.

Help please.

Thanks
ZP

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:32 am

You can read this post to see how to delete corrupt tasks. WMC will recreate tasks that are missing, but if ALL your tasks are corrupted I am not sure that WMC will recreate them all. I know it does it for the guide update task and the start recording task.

viewtopic.php?p=102301#p102301

zippyaus

Post by zippyaus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:38 am

Ok ... so this is what I have done

Uninstalled Media Center by uncheck the check box in Windows Features
Removed my video cards
Shut down
Restart
deleted the ehome folder in Windows and ProgramData.
deleted the media center folder in the tasks folder.
restarted

By my understanding that is everything I can do to reset the WMC.

So - shutdown Start Up
Enable Media Center in windows features

shutdown / startup
go to Windows Media Centre App set it up.
Shutdown.
Re-install tuner cards
Start up
Check drivers in Device Manager.
Open Windows Media Center
Configure live TV.
Still hangs on the Downloading TV setup data.
Launch mcupdate.exe guide check completes and informs me that new tv setup data could not be downloaded etc
See all four tuners
TV setup Cannot Continue ... TV setup encountered a serious problem ..

fail .. :(

One thing I have noticed is that mcepg2 folder and database is mcepg2-8 not 1 and 2 as it has been previously

Looks like I may have to rebuild from scratch .. now to find my Win7 activation

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Yes, reinstall Windows and save yourself a lot of time and aggravation.

You can recover your product key using this utility... https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:22 am

Scallica wrote:Yes, reinstall Windows and save yourself a lot of time and aggravation.

You can recover your product key using this utility... https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
Yea, that was my next step too.. Find a ISO that is slip streamed with updates, so it's a easy install and not have to wait for 250+ updates to come down.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

zippyaus

Post by zippyaus » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:38 am

Thanks all that responded. After a week of trying to get to like MediaPortal, I gave in and re-formatted and re-installed Windows7.

Now that I have a clean install, any recommendations for creating an image of my drive so I can restore from it in the future?

Thanks again
ZP

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:00 am

zippyaus wrote:Thanks all that responded. After a week of trying to get to like MediaPortal, I gave in and re-formatted and re-installed Windows7.

Now that I have a clean install, any recommendations for creating an image of my drive so I can restore from it in the future?

Thanks again
ZP
Personally, I use Acronis but, find a cloning program should do it. I run automated backups every week and save up to 4 weeks. So, when a problem shows up, I can restore from a week before and just update the guide..(no DRM protected shows that I have recorded)

Windows has a built in backup program. Just make a restore disk when you start using it. And Make sure you restore to the same size drive (I found it not very flexible on different size drives, Acronis is...)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave