v1.2.1 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
devguy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by devguy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:46 pm

garyan2 wrote:EPG123 will close WMC executables ehshell.exe (WMC) and ehexthost.exe (for extenders) to avoid this. If there are other programs that lock the file, I am not aware of them... possibly other third party software. My first suggestion would be to reboot and try again, followed by running as administrator to see if that is successful.

I may need to query and shutdown any process that is hooked into the dll and kill them for this. I already have code to do that, so it won't be a biggy.

Note: you actually don't need to do anything in the TweakGUI to get the new status logo. The new client will automatically add it when it imports a mxf file.
Thanks Gary, I did a reboot and ran the exe as admin. Still does the same thing. I did notice the new icon is there now. I did not have to update the tweakgui as you said.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:21 am

devguy wrote:Thanks Gary, I did a reboot and ran the exe as admin. Still does the same thing. I did notice the new icon is there now. I did not have to update the tweakgui as you said.
If you would be so kind, and when you have a chance, could you download and run the new client executable. It should tell you what processes are locking the file and prohibiting you from updating.

Let me know how it works out.

Thank you,
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 am

garyan2 wrote:
devguy wrote:Thanks Gary, I did a reboot and ran the exe as admin. Still does the same thing. I did notice the new icon is there now. I did not have to update the tweakgui as you said.
If you would be so kind, and when you have a chance, could you download and run the new client executable. It should tell you what processes are locking the file and prohibiting you from updating.

Thank you,
Is this beta? Can we drop it over our existing client executable?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:17 am

devguy wrote:
garyan2 wrote:EPG123 will close WMC executables ehshell.exe (WMC) and ehexthost.exe (for extenders) to avoid this. If there are other programs that lock the file, I am not aware of them... possibly other third party software. My first suggestion would be to reboot and try again, followed by running as administrator to see if that is successful.

I may need to query and shutdown any process that is hooked into the dll and kill them for this. I already have code to do that, so it won't be a biggy.

Note: you actually don't need to do anything in the TweakGUI to get the new status logo. The new client will automatically add it when it imports a mxf file.
Thanks Gary, I did a reboot and ran the exe as admin. Still does the same thing. I did notice the new icon is there now. I did not have to update the tweakgui as you said.
Do you have other WMC Plugins running? Maybe go to Task Manager to kill them?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Is this beta? Can we drop it over our existing client executable?
It is, and you can. You won't see much of an improvement if your guide is in good order. The beta has improvements in the client setup routine, determining the tuningInfo information for each channel, automatically correct correctable errors in your database concerning orphan/dead channels, and reporting when the TweakWMC form cannot update the shell file.

... but it is a beta, and I'm still testing my changes for any unintended "features". :problem:
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:54 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Do you have other WMC Plugins running? Maybe go to Task Manager to kill them?
That's what the beta client will identify.
- Gary

devguy

Post by devguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:30 pm

garyan2 wrote:

Thank you,
Thanks Gary, I will try it tonight and let you know how it works.

devguy

Post by devguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:57 pm

garyan2 wrote:

Thank you,
Ok, I gave it a try. What was holding the process open was the Media center desktop gadget. Weird that it worked in the past with it running. I closed it now as I never used it anyway. I did not get an error after that.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:03 pm

devguy wrote:Ok, I gave it a try. What was holding the process open was the Media center desktop gadget. Weird that it worked in the past with it running. I closed it now as I never used it anyway. I did not get an error after that.
Awesome. I'll take a look on shutting that down as well as part of the update, or at least look for it specifically and notify the user.

Thank you.

EDIT: Weird. I can't make it fail with the gadget on. Oh well, I'll still notify the user of what program(s) are preventing the update so they can manually close them.
Last edited by garyan2 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Gary

devguy

Post by devguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:54 pm

garyan2 wrote:
devguy wrote:Ok, I gave it a try. What was holding the process open was the Media center desktop gadget. Weird that it worked in the past with it running. I closed it now as I never used it anyway. I did not get an error after that.
Awesome. I'll take a look on shutting that down as well as part of the update, or at least look for it specifically and notify the user.

Thank you.
No problem, glad I could help. I really like the program. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I also noticed that since I was able to update the new guide icon now looks correct. Before it was displaying the exclamation point like the update failed, but media center showed the guide updated. It now shows the correct icon.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:57 pm

devguy wrote:I also noticed that since I was able to update the new guide icon now looks correct. Before it was displaying the exclamation point like the update failed, but media center showed the guide updated. It now shows the correct icon.
What was the date stamp on the "wrong" icon?
- Gary

devguy

Post by devguy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:35 pm

garyan2 wrote:
devguy wrote:I also noticed that since I was able to update the new guide icon now looks correct. Before it was displaying the exclamation point like the update failed, but media center showed the guide updated. It now shows the correct icon.
What was the date stamp on the "wrong" icon?
The timestamp was up to date and data was refreshing at the time. It is fine now and does not show the "!" in the icon. FYI, I am also one of the cablevision customers who had to change there guide because loosing the 700 channel. Maybe it had to do with that. Thanks. :clap:

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:54 am

Cablevision told our upstream to pull the "7xx" channels out of the "-X" lineup and create a new lineup, which is called "-F". If you lost a block of channels and you're on Cablevision, please check if there's now a -F lineup in your postal code. If the -F is also missing the channels in the 7xx range, please open a ticket with Schedules Direct; we've found two lineups where there was an upstream error, because neither the -X nor the -F had the 7xx, so we got that fixed ASAP.

devguy

Post by devguy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:35 pm

rkulagow wrote:

Cablevision told our upstream to pull the "7xx" channels out of the "-X" lineup and create a new lineup, which is called "-F". If you lost a block of channels and you're on Cablevision, please check if there's now a -F lineup in your postal code. If the -F is also missing the channels in the 7xx range, please open a ticket with Schedules Direct; we've found two lineups where there was an upstream error, because neither the -X nor the -F had the 7xx, so we got that fixed ASAP.

I did manage to pick a new lineup that has the 700 channels now. I believe it was called Brookhaven Cablevision rather then Brookhaven Digital. It is working now with all my channels, but it is good to know to look for "-F" in the future because I just guessed to find this lineup. Thanks.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:24 am

devguy wrote:...good to know to look for "-F" in the future because I just guessed to find this lineup. Thanks.
No need to guess. When adding a lineup, you can just right-click any of them to preview what the channels and channel numbers are. You can then just compare it to what the lineup your provider says you should have and find the correct one.
- Gary

devguy

Post by devguy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:38 pm

garyan2 wrote:
devguy wrote:...good to know to look for "-F" in the future because I just guessed to find this lineup. Thanks.
No need to guess. When adding a lineup, you can just right-click any of them to preview what the channels and channel numbers are. You can then just compare it to what the lineup your provider says you should have and find the correct one.
Hi Gary,sorry, I have another question. My Icon has again turned into the "!". What does that mean? When I check the guide update it shows that it as being updated and is working fine. The icon displays "!", which I guess something is wrong but it is not. My lineup in "media center--> guide -->about guide" displays both -X and -F lineups for Cablevision. Like I said I changed it to - F to get my channels back in the 700 range. Is it due to that?

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:05 pm

devguy wrote:Hi Gary,sorry, I have another question. My Icon has again turned into the "!". What does that mean? When I check the guide update it shows that it as being updated and is working fine. The icon displays "!", which I guess something is wrong but it is not. My lineup in "media center--> guide -->about guide" displays both -X and -F lineups for Cablevision. Like I said I changed it to - F to get my channels back in the 700 range. Is it due to that?

Thanks
If you look in the trace.log file, you will find an entry starting with [WARNG]. It is there you will see what the warning is for. A warning will not prevent your guide from being updated... only errors will do that.
- Gary