Guide data has stopped updating

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:29 pm

jayman wrote:Mine expires 12/26 at 8PM as well here in Eastern Connecticut. I was about to migrate over to 7MC from SageTV (dead development due to Google acquiring Sage), but surprisingly Sage's guide and guide licencing still works. What to do now????
I'm pretty sure this will get sorted in short order. I wouldn't worry too much yet. Microsoft knows of the issue and I am sure some calls have been made. It's just a matter of time till it's fixed.. It's not a "sky is falling" :o issue quite yet.
newfiend~

jimi1000

Post by jimi1000 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:37 pm

I agree and who knows, MS might be/have decided to license through a different EPG provider and has to let the current contract run out. If not and EPG data stops it will be big egg on face for MS if there isn’t a guide.

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:22 pm

Our friends at Ceton report Microsoft believes the root issue resolved. Now we wait for data processing to complete.
-Alan

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:34 pm

I am interested to know exactly what the "root cause" of the issue is.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Have you tried manually updating your guide data to see if you have more programming past the 26th yet?

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

jimi1000

Post by jimi1000 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Scallica here's a thought:

I’d venture a guess and only that. If the license is expected to end then the feed push to MS from the source or pull from MS might have been halted about 12-14 days earlier than the expiration date of the license agreement. I use to be in the cable industry and publishing and feeds are started and stopped usually by managed batch processes. I'm not sure but with the guide set to expire on 12/26 or 12/27 as I indicated earlier means new guide data updates probably stopped around the 12th or 13th. This would have given you guide data till the 26/27 and could have become stale or inaccurate based on changes to the programming schedules after 12/12 or 12/13. Again this is just a guess and nothing more.

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:48 pm

I have tried updating, no new data yet. "They" did say it would take some time. We will see.
-Alan

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:56 pm

Microsoft is aware and has implemented what they hope to be a fix. It should be published within 8-12 hours but may not make the cut off for today. If it does not then guide data will not be available until tomorrow.

Let me stress....do NOT use a 3rd party to import guide data at this point unless you plan to wipe your EPG afterwards.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Ack wrote:
.Nico
I hope my posts didn't seem like they were negative on your service. I definitely did not intend to sound negative. I think the ability to remotely schedule a manual recording is and will be very useful. It was my mistake at the beginning to presume there would be some type of guide to select from.

I apologize if anything I posted seemed negative about your Click2Record service. It wasn't intended that way. Much thanks for providing this service.
No problem. I'll be glad to be able to help you guys out with this issue.
Perhaps you can help me to get this working. I think there was a problem with the timezone. I have changed the C2R-template on the website that is making the Email message. Would you be so kind to test it again and let me know if it works?

TIA,

.Nico

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:25 pm

.Nico wrote:Perhaps you can help me to get this working. I think there was a problem with the timezone. I have changed the C2R-template on the website that is making the Email message. Would you be so kind to test it again and let me know if it works?
Sure, Nico -- I appreciate your taking the time to troubleshoot this. I've just set C2R to record at 6:30 Eastern Time Zone (-5 Greenwich) -- five minutes from now. Hope it works!
=============
Well, it's 6:36 (18:36, which is what I used) and sorry, it didn't work. The service is still running (I checked), but no recording. What I don't quite get is how an email is supposed to tell my WMC to record in the first place. I understand that the 'service' scans for emails sent to the .nl address -- but once it finds a message to record something, how exactly does it communicate w/WMC and get it to record a program?

Does it matter that I'm running Show Analyzer?

cwsqbm

Post by cwsqbm » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:25 pm

mikinho wrote:Microsoft is aware and has implemented what they hope to be a fix. It should be published within 8-12 hours but may not make the cut off for today. If it does not then guide data will not be available until tomorrow.

Let me stress....do NOT use a 3rd party to import guide data at this point unless you plan to wipe your EPG afterwards.
Thanks for the info. I just did a manual update, and the guide data is finally fixed!!!!!!! :D I've got guide data to January 4th.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:12 pm

cwsqbm wrote:
mikinho wrote:Microsoft is aware and has implemented what they hope to be a fix. It should be published within 8-12 hours but may not make the cut off for today. If it does not then guide data will not be available until tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. I just did a manual update, and the guide data is finally fixed!!!!!!! :D I've got guide data to January 4th.
Good NEWS! Thanks for the update Mikinho! :)

jimi1000

Post by jimi1000 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:28 pm

newfiend wrote:
cwsqbm wrote:

Good NEWS! Thanks for the update Mikinho! :)

Manual update worked for me as well on 2 pc's.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Ooo just imagine the fallout if this wasn't fixed for over the holidays. It would have made front page news I'm sure lol. Good to see it's resolved.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ack

Post by Ack » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Manual update not working here yet. St. Louis, MO USA. Will try again later. I'm only OTA but that shouldn't matter I'd think.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:54 pm

cwsqbm wrote: I've got guide data to January 4th.
Same here!
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Ack

Post by Ack » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Ack wrote:Manual update not working here yet. St. Louis, MO USA. Will try again later. I'm only OTA but that shouldn't matter I'd think.
Tried again and it finally updated. We're back in business. Woo hoo.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Ack - it could also be that after an update, you have to give it a bit of time for the list to populate and the schedule to re-jig.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:20 pm

SugarFree wrote:
.Nico wrote:Perhaps you can help me to get this working. I think there was a problem with the timezone. I have changed the C2R-template on the website that is making the Email message. Would you be so kind to test it again and let me know if it works?
Sure, Nico -- I appreciate your taking the time to troubleshoot this. I've just set C2R to record at 6:30 Eastern Time Zone (-5 Greenwich) -- five minutes from now. Hope it works!
=============
Well, it's 6:36 (18:36, which is what I used) and sorry, it didn't work. The service is still running (I checked), but no recording. What I don't quite get is how an email is supposed to tell my WMC to record in the first place. I understand that the 'service' scans for emails sent to the .nl address -- but once it finds a message to record something, how exactly does it communicate w/WMC and get it to record a program?

Does it matter that I'm running Show Analyzer?
The Email message looks like this for a test recording of 30 minutes on channel 4:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<clickToRecord xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:ehome:clicktorecord">
<body>
<metadata>
<description>Test Recording</description>
</metadata>
<programRecord programDuration="30">
<service>
<key field="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:ehome:epg:service#mappedChannelNumber" match="exact">4</key>
</service>
<airing>
<key field="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:ehome:epg:airing#starttime">2011-12-30T19:30:00-08:00</key>
</airing>
</programRecord>
</body>
</clickToRecord>

My Click2Record service reads this message and using the Ehome-schedular it puts it in your EPG. More can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb189583.aspx

Can you test this by putting the above code in a text file and call it recording.c2r then klik on the file so your Media Center gets triggered to put it in your EPG?
What message does appear??

many thanks,

.Nico
Last edited by .Nico on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ack

Post by Ack » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:28 pm

stonethecrows wrote:Ack - it could also be that after an update, you have to give it a bit of time for the list to populate and the schedule to re-jig.
Good point. I had waited about 1/2 hour between tries, then about 45 minutes for the last one which took about 10 or so minutes to update. Here in St. Louis area we get everything last after the east and west coast such as cool trends, economy improvements, and such. I probably just had to wait until all the cool people got updated. :lol: