Guide data has stopped updating

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
webminster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by webminster » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:13 pm

My understanding (limited) with respect to Schedules Direct - I do not believe you can import directly into the WMC EPG. There is a 3rd-party application (Big Screen EPG) that does support this. I know it's popular in markets (like Australia IIRC) that WMC supports poorly. Sometimes, given Zap2it's poor track record on guide accuracy, been tempted to try it (although I've been a little curious and concerned about the 10-foot interface, how it'll integrate on the remote control and on the menu interface).
-Alan
-Alan

Ack

Post by Ack » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:44 am

webminster wrote:My understanding (limited) with respect to Schedules Direct - I do not believe you can import directly into the WMC EPG. There is a 3rd-party application (Big Screen EPG) that does support this. I know it's popular in markets (like Australia IIRC) that WMC supports poorly. Sometimes, given Zap2it's poor track record on guide accuracy, been tempted to try it (although I've been a little curious and concerned about the 10-foot interface, how it'll integrate on the remote control and on the menu interface).
-Alan
Thanks Alan. That rang a bell as soon as I read your post. I'll start looking into setting it up this weekend. I'm still hoping for the resolution from MS but I'd like to be ready. Losing the EPG would be about all it takes for the Mrs. to call cable and get us set back up. I just got used to the extra money of no cable bill. :D

sfniceguy

Post by sfniceguy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:48 am

Same here -- I noticed that my EPG has stopped updating.. The last current data I have is good through 12/27. Using Windows 7 Home Premium. Tried running the Media Center TV setup again, but that did not solve the problem.

--
webminster wrote:My EPG data (Fort Collins CO Comcast Digital, guide ID 28516864) hasn't updated for about a week. Am now down to 6 days left of program data.

Internet connectivity to the media center is fine. MCupdate is running nightly, and have tried manual updates as well. Event logs show MCupdate completing without errors, and showing data "up to date". But my guide data has shown end date of 12/26 8pm for about a week.

I've opened a ticket on the EPG feedback site (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ve-stopped), but have received no response. However, 7 others have commented they're having the same issue.

Hoping to find others with same problem, or better, ideas for a solution. Or a way to wake Microsoft up. Is a sister thread for this over at Windows Experts: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 02357.aspx

-Alan

rantanamo

Post by rantanamo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:02 am

on the "official" site, pretty much everyone is reporting this. This confirms my suspicion that Zap2It is some kid in his/her dorm room. Must be out for winter break.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:09 pm

I wonder if the issue is related to the recent intrusion.

Because our bulletin board software may have been used by a hacker
to gain access to our site, we are forced to shut down the boards indefinitely.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

http://tvbb.zap2it.com/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:27 pm

rantanamo wrote:This confirms my suspicion that Zap2It is some kid in his/her dorm room. Must be out for winter break.
Maybe. Or maybe this has something to do with it: http://tvbb.zap2it.com

davew

Post by davew » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi folks! I'm also having the same issue. Was going crazy checking web forums and sites for info and only seeing the "hacker" notice on Zap2it. Had my suspicions.
Guide issue seemed to appear after I upgraded to Silverlight 5 on Dec 14. Anyone think it could be related? Could it be a problem with the displaying of the the data its downloaded? I'm not very computer savy. I'm new to this forum and was recommended to it by a friend. :mrgreen: :wave:
Eagerly anticipating the solution. Thanks.

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:08 pm

Do you mean "disappear" rather than "appear" (since you say "having same issue")? I personally have upgraded nothing, so am sure Silverlight (or other) upgrades are not the issue (affects people who have applied updates or not). Given the extent of the problem (affecting many people, versions of MCE, cable markets), it's a MS issue with their Web services. BTW, welcome aboard.
-Alan

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Yup same problem here also in western Mass.. No data after 26th.. As MC gets its guide data from Zap 2 it.. If their site is down unfortunately so are our guides. From other forum Members posts Microsoft has been made aware of the problem and is looking into it. It may be awhile until Zap 2 it gets back up.. Once that happens our guides should repopulate on the next MC guide update. I would suggest you keep checking back on zap 2 it's site.. Once that's up try doing a manual guide update. Till then I think we are all a little stuck.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

Ack

Post by Ack » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Zap2it's TV Listings are working at http://tvlistings.zap2it.com.
I checked the St. Louis, MO, USA area for OTA listings at 7PM 12/29 and got listings.
I think the link above is just for their bulletin boards.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:37 pm

SugarFree wrote:
.Nico wrote:If you need to record a TVShow, you can use the click2record service
Well, it's an official 'No Go.' -- Click2Record did NOT record at 5 p.m. .... and despite many tries, the service will not run. It 'starts' but stops after two seconds.

Next.....!
Check the application Event Log, it will tell you why it stopped.
If not, change the Debug Level to 3 in the config-file in C:\Click2Record.
Start the service again and check the application log.
(9 out of 10 it is an incorrect username/password combination)

P.S. Did you wait for the confirmation that your C2R-Mailbox has been created? Because of our timezone difference I'll make them in the morning here, which is about 8 hours later then your morning's :)
Or is that earlier??? Anyways, you'll have to wait for the confirmation.

.Nico
http://www.click2record.com
Last edited by .Nico on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

davew

Post by davew » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:41 pm

webminster wrote:Do you mean "disappear" rather than "appear" (since you say "having same issue")? I personally have upgraded nothing, so am sure Silverlight (or other) upgrades are not the issue (affects people who have applied updates or not). Given the extent of the problem (affecting many people, versions of MCE, cable markets), it's a MS issue with their Web services. BTW, welcome aboard.
I meant the issue of the guide not updating "appeared". Thanks, nice to be onboard. Guess will just have to wait. Appreciate everyones input.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:40 pm

SugarFree wrote:
Ack wrote:unless I'm away from home when I see or think of something I want to record, it seems like it'd just be easier to set up the manual recordings while I'm at the HTPC.
But .. um ... how can you do that without a guide? How do you know what you want to record if you don't know what's on, or when, or what channel? In other words, even if I'm home and at the HTPC, I first need to open a browser, go to TitanTV, browse the entire day's worth of programs, select the programs I want, write down the stations, time and title -- THEN go to the C2R site, log in, and for each program I want to record, type in the station, time and title.

Assuming I record a few programs a day on average, that's quite a lot of time spent for what used to be point and click. :(
Hey, I offer an additional service here, don't blame it on me that Microsoft doesn't update their EPG-service!

.Nico

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:45 pm

.Nico wrote: Change the Debug Level to 3 in the config-file in C:\Click2Record.Did you wait for the confirmation that your C2R-Mailbox has been created?
Nico,

I got my confirmation this morning. Clicked on Start Service -- it started and kept running. No problem there. So, I programmed a show to record. Nope. I tried a different browser, another program. Nada. I closed WMC and then did another try (checking that the service was still running; changing Debug Level to 3, getting a confirmation each time that my programming had been successful on the C2R site). Opened WMC again.

Zilch. Nada. Zero. The program simply does not work. Not on my computer anyway. Maybe you need to be in a different country, time zone, etc. My WMC guide does NOT show any of these three programs having been recorded.

Ack

Post by Ack » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:00 pm

.Nico wrote:
SugarFree wrote:
Ack wrote:unless I'm away from home when I see or think of something I want to record, it seems like it'd just be easier to set up the manual recordings while I'm at the HTPC.
But .. um ... how can you do that without a guide? How do you know what you want to record if you don't know what's on, or when, or what channel? In other words, even if I'm home and at the HTPC, I first need to open a browser, go to TitanTV, browse the entire day's worth of programs, select the programs I want, write down the stations, time and title -- THEN go to the C2R site, log in, and for each program I want to record, type in the station, time and title.

Assuming I record a few programs a day on average, that's quite a lot of time spent for what used to be point and click. :(
Hey, I offer an additional service here, don't blame it on me that Microsoft doesn't update their EPG-service!

.Nico

.Nico
I hope my posts didn't seem like they were negative on your service. I definitely did not intend to sound negative. I think the ability to remotely schedule a manual recording is and will be very useful. It was my mistake at the beginning to presume there would be some type of guide to select from.

I apologize if anything I posted seemed negative about your Click2Record service. It wasn't intended that way. Much thanks for providing this service.

micahsd

Post by micahsd » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:04 pm

My WMC PC has the same issue.
I've rebooted my PC and also uninstalled the security update which MS pushed out a few weeks ago which addresses a vulnerability in WMC and rebooted after that, thinking that somehow messed it up and it didn't do anything.
It looks like the guide data file is downloading properly and WMC is processing the file...I'm thinking Zap2it doesn't have something running on their end which updates the file which WMC downloads.

jimi1000

Post by jimi1000 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:27 pm

This seems to be a licensing issue with Microsoft and Zap2it. In MCE if you go to Tasks>Settings>TV>Guide>About guide listings it shows that the guide end date is 12/27/2011 8:00PM for my location (EST). This guide end date is the same for 4 different pc’s in my house. I’d say check and post your findings for this to see if it is common for everyone based on their respective time zone.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Ack wrote:Zap2it's TV Listings are working at http://tvlistings.zap2it.com.
I checked the St. Louis, MO, USA area for OTA listings at 7PM 12/29 and got listings.
I think the link above is just for their bulletin boards.
Well if the guides are up then there has got to be a problem somewhere as to why were not getting updated. Hopefully a fix is forthcoming. erkotz posted that they had contacted MS about the issue and that they were looking into it. Since he works for Ceton/MS now hopefully his contacting them will get something done ASAP.
BTW Thanks erkotz! :D
newfiend~

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:37 pm

jimi1000 wrote:This seems to be a licensing issue with Microsoft and Zap2it.
Rebecca Baldwin, General Manager
Zap2it.com
435 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611
312-222-4503
rbaldwin@tribune.com

Dear Rebecca,

I don't know if you haven't heard about this issue yet, or if you've been inundated with queries. All across the country the WMC guide has stopped updating. The last data for all our guides seems to be 12/26 at 8 p.m. After that, it's "Data Unavailable."
We know it's not our individual computers, and the thread on the Green Button has suggested it might be a licensing issue between your company and Microsoft. Or it may have nothing whatsoever to do with Zap2it.
Either way, if you could shed some (any, if you have it!) light on the situation, there are an increasingly anxious bunch who would very much appreciate it.
---------------------

If I hear anything back I'll post it here.

jayman

Post by jayman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Mine expires 12/26 at 8PM as well here in Eastern Connecticut. I was about to migrate over to 7MC from SageTV (dead development due to Google acquiring Sage), but surprisingly Sage's guide and guide licencing still works. What to do now????