Running WMC7 in Hyper-V on Windows 10?

Scallica

HTPC Specs: Show details

Running WMC7 in Hyper-V on Windows 10?

Post by Scallica » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:03 pm

Has anyone tried to run Windows 7 with WMC in a Hyper-V virtual machine on a Windows 10 host system? I am curious if DCA/DRM/PlayReady will work.

I know several members here have had success running WMC in Hyper-V, but only on the Windows Server platform and I think only as a backend.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:09 pm

I haven't tried it in Hyper-V, but the DCA/DRM/PlayReady do all work in a Windows 7 VM under ESXi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:14 am

Test failed. Hyper-V on Windows 10 does not have Integration Services. I get a warning about the video card memory when I start WMC and the DCA test fails.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:12 am

I'm a little mistaken, sorry. I had to use the DCA override, but after that, I was able to record copy once channels and watch via an extender. I would not expect being able to watch anything locally unless you had more than the software GPU to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanH

Post by DanH » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:23 am

I am running this exact configuration. My primary MCPC died and a virtualized version lives on...My only unresolved issue is stuttering on my extenders. It is very bizarre and appears to be a Hyper-V problem....from all I have read. All of the various tips and tricks, which I have tried, do not resolve this problem!

I use HD Homerun tuners which have no issue with Hyper-V. Recordings all record fine from over-the-air HDTV sources. My issue is during playback to the extenders.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:36 am

Can you watch live TV within the VM? Did you pass the DCA or did you have to use the hack/workaround?

DanH

Post by DanH » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:07 pm

I cannot watch Live TV inside the VM. There is an error about video card, etc... I watch TV via 2 extenders (DMA2100 & DMA2200). The tuners are on a HDHomerun, Ethernet connected OTA tuners.

This VM was created from a running Windows Media Center system and then the system was copied to a virtual machine.
Scallica wrote:Can you watch live TV within the VM? Did you pass the DCA or did you have to use the hack/workaround?
Was Danh_HP_m376n