ATSC Tuner recommendations for OTA

millerduck

HTPC Specs: Show details

ATSC Tuner recommendations for OTA

Post by millerduck » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:35 pm

TGB,

I am thinking about cutting the cord and going OTA through my MCE box + streaming options. So, my Ceton 6-tuner card will do me no good any longer in that scenario. It has been years since I last looked into NTSC/ATSC tuners and would love some recommendations.

One wrinkle is that I actually do have nights where we have recordings going on all 4 of the big broadcast networks at the same time. So the 6-tuner has been great. I probably need a 4+ for the new setup.

Thoughts, ideas?

MD

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:44 am

I use a handful of Silicon Dust HD Homerun tuners. Easy.

You can also get a Hauppauge PCIe 4-tuner unit.

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:06 am

I just added a HDHomerun 2-tuner 'Connect' for OTA to supplement my Prime cable card tuner.

It's been solid for 3 weeks for OTA.

At first I tried it as clear QAM tuner, but two different units would keep losing reception and dropping the tuners while in use. SiliconDust could not diagnose the problem, so I bought a $35 antenna and installed it in the attic. It's been problem free since then. Picture quality OTA is also slightly better than cable!

millerduck

Post by millerduck » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:11 pm

adam1991 wrote:I use a handful of Silicon Dust HD Homerun tuners. Easy.

I was eyeballing the 4-tuner PCIe one since I posted. I won't need my Ceton any more so I would have room in the box for it. Cheaper than 2X HDHR Connects too.

Thanks for the input.

MD

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:44 am

millerduck wrote:
adam1991 wrote:I use a handful of Silicon Dust HD Homerun tuners. Easy.

I was eyeballing the 4-tuner PCIe one since I posted. I won't need my Ceton any more so I would have room in the box for it. Cheaper than 2X HDHR Connects too.

Thanks for the input.

MD
One advantage of the Homerun tuners are they are networked tuners. Which means you can watch TV on many devices with apps, such as phones, tablets and some streaming boxes connected to your wired or wireless network.

Also, you don't have to have your HTPC turned on to access the tuners.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:43 am

So true. I just put a tablet on the kitchen wall, and my wife found she likes to watch the local TV news in the morning--thanks for my HD Homeruns.