Remote Potato and port forwarding

lithium630

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote Potato and port forwarding

Post by lithium630 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:07 am

Any tricks to getting port forwarding to work? I have a netgear 3700 router running DD-WRT. My HTPC has a static IP and Dyndns running. Ports 9080 - 9084 are forwarded to my htpc IP. The remote potato server is running but I can't connect on my local network or over the net. It's driving me crazy. Any ideas?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:45 am

Have you tried disabling the Windows Firewall?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:53 am

The OP says no workie on the LAN. This is where the issue is most probably.
From another PC inside your LAN, what happens when you type into a browser: YourHTPCname:9080 ?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:29 am

stonethecrows wrote:The OP says no workie on the LAN. This is where the issue is most probably.
From another PC inside your LAN, what happens when you type into a browser: YourHTPCname:9080 ?
The windows firewall is disabled. I have no idea why, but it finally works over the LAN but still does not work over the internet. I can get to the router control panel by using my dyndns address but when I add :9080 the connection fails.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Are there firewall rules in place preventing outbound traffic where you're trying from? For example from work I can only get out on ports 80 and 443. Everything else is blocked.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

STC

Post by STC » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:51 pm

lithium630 wrote:I can get to the router control panel by using my dyndns address but when I add :9080 the connection fails.
Okay,it can't really just suddenly start to 'work' on the LAN, that bit confuses me.

With DD-WRT have you added the rule in the NAT/QOS Port Range Forwarding area?

STC

Post by STC » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:01 pm

Are you trying to test from both inside AND outside the LAN?
The DynDNS address wont work from inside, only outside as it's the outside IP interface that it resolves to.

From inside the LAN, use the PC name, not the DynDNS address.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:38 pm

stonethecrows wrote:
lithium630 wrote:I can get to the router control panel by using my dyndns address but when I add :9080 the connection fails.
Okay,it can't really just suddenly start to 'work' on the LAN, that bit confuses me.

With DD-WRT have you added the rule in the NAT/QOS Port Range Forwarding area?
Apparently it can because it wasn't working before. Maybe I didn't reboot after disabling the firewall and I should have. Does it matter how the the rules are set up? As far as adding one rule for all the ports or each one individually.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

I only have one port forwarded - TCP 9080 on my Sonicwall, but no it shouldn't matter whether you do the range or individually.
Perhaps try ShieldsUp https://www.grc.com and test for open ports.
You could also try opening a DMZ to the HTPC for two minutes on the WRT to see if that works. At least that would point to an issue with the router.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:49 pm

stonethecrows wrote:I only have one port forwarded - TCP 9080 on my Sonicwall, but no it shouldn't matter whether you do the range or individually.
Perhaps try ShieldsUp https://www.grc.com and test for open ports.
You could also try opening a DMZ to the HTPC for two minutes on the WRT to see if that works. At least that would point to an issue with the router.
I had it working for a short time then it just stopped. It's very frustrating. I used ShieldUp and confirmed that port 9080 is open. It does work on the WAN still. The only thing I can think of is maybe DynDNS isn't working correctly. I'm going to uninstall it and try again.

freetvee.com

Post by freetvee.com » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:39 pm

I have a netgear 3700 and have had similar issues. Did you ever find a solution to this? thanks!

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:11 am

freetvee.com wrote:I have a netgear 3700 and have had similar issues. Did you ever find a solution to this? thanks!
Magically it is working again. I haven't gotten around to reinstalling Dyndns yet. I have the same router and it very well could be that. It is not very reliable at all. That's why I flashed dd-wrt but it didn't help.

freetvee.com

Post by freetvee.com » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:19 am

lithium630 wrote:
freetvee.com wrote:I have a netgear 3700 and have had similar issues. Did you ever find a solution to this? thanks!
Magically it is working again. I haven't gotten around to reinstalling Dyndns yet. I have the same router and it very well could be that. It is not very reliable at all. That's why I flashed dd-wrt but it didn't help.
RP seems like a great program, but I had too much trouble with getting it to work with my 3700 a few months back so eventually gave up... :crazy: Is it worth the trouble? Any advice or step by steps instructions that I can use to get port forward going on the 3700? Thanks for the quick reply!

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:45 am

freetvee.com wrote:
lithium630 wrote:
RP seems like a great program, but I had too much trouble with getting it to work with my 3700 a few months back so eventually gave up... :crazy: Is it worth the trouble? Any advice or step by steps instructions that I can use to get port forward going on the 3700? Thanks for the quick reply!
(When it's working) I don't use it very often, but it's nice to be able to quickly add a recording if I missed it. I also like having access to recorded TV when I'm away from home. I'm definitely no expert on port forwarding but I think it was pretty self explanatory. Stonethecrows had a good suggesting to use Shieldsup at grc.com to test to make sure the port is open. Also I disabled the firewall in the past but I checked again after a few people mentioned it and it was enabled. Not sure if an update enabled it or I did it and forgot.

offroad

Post by offroad » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:25 pm

Continuing this discussion, trying to get REMOTE POTATO working on a new system, with a new router, and a new internet provider. Not easy task.

Can access via the local LAN, But when I go out to WAN I can not get access.

Checklist:

1) Works inside LAN
2) Test that PORT FORWARDING is working, by testing from the actual machine. (pending)
3) Review WINDOWS 7 FIREWALL settings to see if it is blocking REMOTE POTATO. (pending)
4) Find a person who was recently successful at this, and consult (thus the posting here)

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:12 pm

offroad wrote:Continuing this discussion, trying to get REMOTE POTATO working on a new system, with a new router, and a new internet provider. Not easy task.

Can access via the local LAN, But when I go out to WAN I can not get access.

Checklist:

1) Works inside LAN
2) Test that PORT FORWARDING is working, by testing from the actual machine. (pending)
You can't really test port forwarding from the machine itself - by it's very nature, you can only test port forwarding from outside your network. Some routers will allow packets from inside the LAN to reach the external, WAN address, but many don't. If you have a smart-phone, disabling wi-fi on the phone and using your carrier's data connection is often the most convenient way to verify that your port forwarding is working, while you're still at home and able to change the settings.
3) Review WINDOWS 7 FIREWALL settings to see if it is blocking REMOTE POTATO. (pending)
If you can access remote Potato from other devices on your LAN, then it's not a firewall issue on the PC - the firewall is already passing the necessary packets.
4) Find a person who was recently successful at this, and consult (thus the posting here)
What router are you using?

How are you checking your external IP address?

You mention that you're using a new provider - you might want toname the provider too, in case the problem is with their policies & procedures.

offroad

Post by offroad » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Am using COMCAST as a provider of internet. hopefully can forward via ports from that ISP.

have a IPAD at home with VERIZON so will turn off wifi and just use that to experiment with browser checks on the ports, as well as REMOTE POTATO experiments

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:11 pm

offroad wrote:Am using COMCAST as a provider of internet. hopefully can forward via ports from that ISP.
You're probably OK there for now - if Comcast was blocking port forwarding, I'm sure someone would have mentioned it by now :D

offroad

Post by offroad » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:09 pm

I have my REMOTE POTATO working as I had to set up NO-IP.ORG with a dynamic update client so I could remotely connect. works fine now.