Lineup update question

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
stuartm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Lineup update question

Post by stuartm » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:07 pm

I noticed that one of the channels in my cable lineup had the wrong listings for the channel. Zap2it also had it wrong. (I think at some point my cable CO switched what they were providing on that channel). I see that Zap2it is now updated to the correct listings for the channel, so I assume that the correct data will start flowing into Schedules Direct and into EPG123. My question is will I need to do anything to see the correct stuff in my lineup? (I have automatch set). BTW nice fast response by SD/Zap2it in getting the lineup fixed.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:37 pm

You won't have to do anything, even if automatch was not selected. The service ID, which is matched to your tuner channel, is based on the lineup and the channel number so nothing has to move or be reattached just because the callsign changed along with the listings.

at least in theory

You might be the first to verify the new button "Rebuild WMC Database" works. If WMC refuses to overwrite the current listings with the new listings, you'll either have to wait for the old stuff to die out, or rebuild the database. Do you have a non-production WMC to try it out on first?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:24 am

garyan2 wrote:You won't have to do anything, even if automatch was not selected. The service ID, which is matched to your tuner channel, is based on the lineup and the channel number so nothing has to move or be reattached just because the callsign changed along with the listings.

at least in theory

You might be the first to verify the new button "Rebuild WMC Database" works. If WMC refuses to overwrite the current listings with the new listings, you'll either have to wait for the old stuff to die out, or rebuild the database. Do you have a non-production WMC to try it out on first?
Thinking it through a little more, you might have to do a change. If the station is brand new (not selected/downloaded anywhere else), then you will have to open the GUI, select the station, and save it. If you have autoadd selected, you won't need to that.

If the station is not new to the lineup, then the above is true.
- Gary

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:46 am

Some details on my lineup change. Comcast used to provide PAC12 MTN HD on my Cable channel 840, Now it is PAC12 Network HD (non-region specific) They also have non-HD of both PAC12 NET and PAC12 MTN on lower numbered channels. Which are in my lineup. I do have a backup HTPC that I can bring online and try the lineup rebuild on if the new data doesn't populate my guide. I will need at least to fix up my Logo for the channel in MCL XL I am sure. Will wait a day or two first since I don't know how soon the lineup fix will make it into the SD data stream.

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:17 am

If you haven't already opened a ticket at the Schedules Direct website, please do so. That way I can make sure that the lineup is updated, or let you know that it has been updated so that you can check your EPG123 configuration.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:48 am

Thanks, I opened an SD ticket a few days ago and at that time zap2it was also wrong, I checked today and now zap2it is correct

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:53 am

Send me a private message with your ticket number and I'll double-check.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:57 am

Additional question, I assume the lEPG123 rebuild WMC database does something like an ObjectStoreRecovery followed by running an EPG lineup setup and epg data import and I won't need to redo tuner setup in WMC?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:14 am

stuartm wrote:Additional question, I assume the lEPG123 rebuild WMC database does something like an ObjectStoreRecovery followed by running an EPG lineup setup and epg data import and I won't need to redo tuner setup in WMC?
Oh, come on, stuartm ... give me some credit. EPG123 is much smoother than ObjectStoreRecovery. Assuming everything works correctly, and you have automatch selected, the only thing that would be needed to do is maybe apply your logos if you use them. The tuner channels, along with custom numbers and callsigns, should be restored and the scheduled recordings should be restored.

That's it.
- Gary

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:36 am

My apologies! I should have known you'd do a better job than Microsoft ;)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:29 am

stuartm wrote:My apologies! I should have known you'd do a better job than Microsoft ;)
:lol:

Let it be known that GaRyan2's 1,000th post on TheGreenButton was, and I quote, " :lol:". That is all.
- Gary

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:35 pm

rkulagow wrote:Send me a private message with your ticket number and I'll double-check.
Did you have a chance to check the ticket. I sent you a PM.
So far the lineup for the problem channel has not corrected in my guide.
If the lineup at SD is fixed, should I try the database rebuild Gary?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:15 am

stuartm wrote:If the lineup at SD is fixed, should I try the database rebuild Gary?
If epg123 GUI shows the new station on the channel, and after an update still shows the incorrect listings, then yes ... database rebuild will take care of it.
- Gary

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:51 am

Sigh, yep it's updated in the GUI just not reflecting in the guide :-( I'll try the rebuild this evening. IIRC this is a change that the old zap2it/usoft guide handled without needing any manual intervention. Can EPG123 be modified to automatically handle a case like this?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:55 am

stuartm wrote:Sigh, yep it's updated in the GUI just not reflecting in the guide :-( I'll try the rebuild this evening. IIRC this is a change that the old zap2it/usoft guide handled without needing any manual intervention. Can EPG123 be modified to automatically handle a case like this?
That's what we were trying to figure out, and glugglug was making some pretty good progess, but can't quite figure it out without any risk.

Like I said before, you don't have to rebuild. You still have the option to just let the old station listings die out.
- Gary

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:52 am

Maybe I didn't understand what you were saying,. Are you saying that the old incorrect schedule for the channel will remain, but new listings that pull down for days being added to the guide will have the correct data? So if I wait for 2 weeks after the lineup is fixed the wrong data will have died out and the correct data will have filled in?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:01 am

stuartm wrote:Maybe I didn't understand what you were saying,. Are you saying that the old incorrect schedule for the channel will remain, but new listings that pull down for days being added to the guide will have the correct data? So if I wait for 2 weeks after the lineup is fixed the wrong data will have died out and the correct data will have filled in?
That's correct.

EDIT: actually, I might not be understanding now ... is that not the case? Does the wrong station listings just end? without the new listings being added?
- Gary

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Duh-oh :oops: I was of course checking the listings at the front of the guide. They are indeed filling in new stuff with the proper listings. I was expecting that all listings would update once the lineup was fixed. The channel entry is still wrong (station ID and description are the old ones) I assume that the only way to get that to fix is the rebuild? Also this exercise was useful since I discovered on 2 of my HTPC's that EPG123 had been quarantined by MSE since I hadn't yet updated to 1.0.2 from 1.0.1

randman

Post by randman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:33 pm

stuartm wrote:Some details on my lineup change. Comcast used to provide PAC12 MTN HD on my Cable channel 840, Now it is PAC12 Network HD (non-region specific) They also have non-HD of both PAC12 NET and PAC12 MTN on lower numbered channels. Which are in my lineup. I do have a backup HTPC that I can bring online and try the lineup rebuild on if the new data doesn't populate my guide. I will need at least to fix up my Logo for the channel in MCL XL I am sure. Will wait a day or two first since I don't know how soon the lineup fix will make it into the SD data stream.
Same thing up here in Seattle regarding PAC12 HD vs local. I contacted SD last Friday and immediately got an email saying they were working on the update. I didn't check again until Monday afternoon and the lineup had been updated at SD. Since I was a version or two behind, I updated EPG123 to the latest. I think when I logged in, the modified channel was not checked in the lineup. I checked the box and ran the updates. That's about all I had to do.

Now if the PAC12 could figure out that college football games last longer than 3 hours, I could watch the first quarter of my team's game in HD.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:23 pm

stuartm wrote:Duh-oh :oops: I was of course checking the listings at the front of the guide. They are indeed filling in new stuff with the proper listings. I was expecting that all listings would update once the lineup was fixed. The channel entry is still wrong (station ID and description are the old ones) I assume that the only way to get that to fix is the rebuild? Also this exercise was useful since I discovered on 2 of my HTPC's that EPG123 had been quarantined by MSE since I hadn't yet updated to 1.0.2 from 1.0.1
I had hoped the callsign and title would have flowed in there nicely. Guess not. You could remove the station from download, execute epg123, add the station back in and execute to see if that works.
- Gary