Guide Data Outage - Fall 2016 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Solo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Solo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Update: Winter Park / Orlando Brighthouse.

Guide updated through 10/16, both systems including HD. So looks like fix was not temporary to switch service providers and back again. Good news, finally, again.

rickmktg

Post by rickmktg » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:14 pm

newfiend wrote: UPDATE: I successfully contacted Barb Bowman via twitter. She has been in touch with her contact inside MS about this issue. Hopefully it gets resolved soon. Thanks Barb! :clap:
It is absurd that this needs to be done, and to be done repeatedly. Microsoft hasn't communicated on the Connect site nor anywhere else that a) they are working on it and b) will resolve the issue soon.
Moved to W10 and NPVR in December 2019. Bye.

arrrcache

Post by arrrcache » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:48 pm

rjbu wrote: Unfortunately this seems to just be a workaround to get your guide up-to-date, but doesn't really fix the problem going forward.
That definitely seemed true prior to late Saturday. Same experience you had - automatic guide updated added data for SD channels, but not HD.

Then at some point late Saturday/early Sunday, updated SD and HD guide data seemed to start rolling-out in our area. Updated SD and HD through 10/15 now.

Reports that updated SD and HD guide data is reaching those who haven't done any provider changes are coming in, too. So hopefully the issue is getting fully resolved in more and more markets.

At least fully resolved... until next year? :crazy:

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:32 pm

arrrcache wrote:At least fully resolved... until next year? :crazy:
Until next month, when DST ends.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:14 pm

I'm on Comcast Digital in their Pekin, Illinois system at zip code 61550. All seems fixed...for now.
Will Pittenger

gbgreen

Post by gbgreen » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:34 pm

gbgreen1 wrote:
I've been exchanging email with my buddy rgbu about this issue, but I waited until today to try his suggestion about the provider switcheroo. I switched to Verizon FiOS Northern NJ and back. It worked for the most part. :) I now have guide data for most of my HD channels, but not all of them. My guide data stops on October 12th at 8 p.m. Only time will tell if I have the same problem that he had about future guide updates not working correctly.

P.S.: Sorry about omitting code blocks for the log entries. Will do so in the future.
Looks like the automatic update worked correctly. I now seem to have guide data for all channels. "About Guide" claims to end 10/17 at 3:30pm, but guide data actually ends 10/15 at 8:00pm. The only problem I seem to be having now is that the poster art seems to be wacky at random times/channels. Can't seem to find any pattern to it.

08873, Comcast

Space

Post by Space » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:36 pm

gbgreen1 wrote: The only problem I seem to be having now is that the poster art seems to be wacky at random times/channels. Can't seem to find any pattern to it.

08873, Comcast
Yeah, I've had that since day one of the Rovi switchover. Even the "To be announced" entries have poster art for a (random?) movie.

bcswa

Post by bcswa » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:52 am

Does anyone have suggestion for OTA guide data missing. Before this recent issue I had all the OTA guide data for all my OTA channels and all the Comcast cable data. Now that this has seemed to be fixed I have all the Comcast cable data, but only about half the OTA guide data. The OTA for the channels to my South are mostly OK but none of the channels to my North now have guide data.

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:26 am

Today's update was at least 2 hours earlier than it's been since the latest outage fix but contained no new data.

Guide still ends 10/16 at 8 pm EDT.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:51 am

anotheruser wrote:Today's update was at least 2 hours earlier than it's been since the latest outage fix but contained no new data.

Yeah, mine was available about 7 hours earlier than the past couple updates and, as you said, there was no new data added.

jerryd

Post by jerryd » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:50 am

Sadly I am not getting any guide data in the UK except OTA.
My guide is now a shadow of its previous glorious self.
I have seven days on most SD channels.
Many SD channels and all HD channels have no data whatsoever.
Basically my guide is gone.

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:02 am

I haven't received any new data for a couple of days again now, I was distracted by trying to get a cable card with a Hauppauge DCR 2650 to work (it took five phone calls and one tech visit to get it working right). I will check on Microsoft Connect and see if any one has submitted a ticket and let Barb know to call her contacts again.

I went on Connect and asked Barb to contact her connection at Microsoft and opened a ticket. Please up tick and mark I can too on the ticket:

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/3105748
Last edited by davidhp on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:11 am

adam1991 wrote:on the Survivor thing:

just now I had the 10/5 episode scheduled correctly, but no 10/12 epsiode showing. Guide showed updated to 10/13 at 1am, so OK--it usually actually ends around 7pm the prior evening, so that makes sense.

I manually updated the guide and it went to 1am 10/15--but now the Mill vs GenX series shows NO other "additional shows to record"--yet my guide shows that "Survivor" (no Mill vs GenX) 10/5 will record with an actual episode title and description, and the same with 10/12.

So my OTA guide is getting the same treatment.
Update: tonight''s Survivor did indeed record with the title "Survivor", nothing more, and as a different series--not within the same series as the first two episodes.

It does, however, have the correct episode title.

And it does, under "Other Showings," show next week's episode--similarly titled simply "Survivor", but with the correct episode title.

Frankly, this is how I remember the zap2it and the ReplayTV guides working. I could set up a series recording for Survivor, and never touch it--each season it would record, because each season that's how it came up in the guide. It is only within the last couple of years that I remember the guide using the full name in the series title.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:17 am

davidhp wrote:I haven't received any new data for a couple of days again now, I was distracted by trying to get a cable card with a Hauppauge DCR 2650 to work (it took five phone calls and one tech visit to get it working right). I will check on Microsoft Connect and see if any one has submitted a ticket and let Barb know to call her contacts again.
I just checked my guide data end date, and it shows 10/19 at 7pm.

Updates started working again sometime this past weekend.

I'm in NY, and my cable company is Fios, but I've read that people with other providers have also been receiving updates, so you may have an isolated issue to deal with.

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:06 am

I just got an update too, I guess I should have waited one day. Oh well ignore the ticket, as the EPG seems to be working again now.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:28 am

Space wrote:
anotheruser wrote:Today's update was at least 2 hours earlier than it's been since the latest outage fix but contained no new data.

Yeah, mine was available about 7 hours earlier than the past couple updates and, as you said, there was no new data added.
So, today's update was made available at the same time as yesterday's update (7 hours earlier than it had been), but I got new data this time and it now goes up to 10/18 @ 8pm ET.

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:59 am

The time change is nice if the updates are reliable. It gives a decent window to schedule prime time recordings with one day less stale data than we've had in a long time.

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:03 am

davidhp wrote:I haven't received any new data for a couple of days again now, I was distracted by trying to get a cable card with a Hauppauge DCR 2650 to work (it took five phone calls and one tech visit to get it working right). I will check on Microsoft Connect and see if any one has submitted a ticket and let Barb know to call her contacts again.

I went on Connect and asked Barb to contact her connection at Microsoft and opened a ticket. Please up tick and mark I can too on the ticket:

Please let Barb know the EPG is working. False alarms are only likely to mean less attention when we have a real outage...which will probably come soon based on recent history.

jerryd

Post by jerryd » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:28 am

davidhp wrote:I just got an update too, I guess I should have waited one day. Oh well ignore the ticket, as the EPG seems to be working again now.

Different problem for me and some others in the UK I think.
My guide hasn't worked for at least two weeks.
Just OTA data and nothing else.

Just found rated connect.microsoft feedback occurrence.
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/3104428

I had previously reported it to microsoft here:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ed-uk-data

but I suggest the first link is the place to go.

Please let Barb know the guide isn't working in the UK unless someone else says otherwise.
Maybe I need to start a new thread for UK users?

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:39 pm

anotheruser wrote:

Please let Barb know the EPG is working. False alarms are only likely to mean less attention when we have a real outage...which will probably come soon based on recent history.
I posted back on Microsoft Community and a comment on the ticket on Connect before she responded. So I think I got it covered. And she hasn't responded to my post which she usually does if she sends the email to her connection.