EPG123 install, but WMC guide errors on setup

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
MarkJohnson

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 install, but WMC guide errors on setup

Post by MarkJohnson » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:17 am

I installed the EPG123 as the guide suggests on an existing win7 setup. I booted into safe mode and removed ehome or whatever. Rebooted in normal mode and setup the registry entries. Then ran EPG123, then signed up for SD for a year. Went back to EPG123 selected all channels, 14 day guide, and import WMC only those two option were checked.

I go to WMC and it runs setup and keeps crashing on guide setup. It aborts and send me back to WMC and I select guide, then it runs through setup again with same error. I then get returned to TV and select live tv and same thing.

I noticed I never got the digital cable activation, so I went to extra and ran the cable adviser and set it up seemingly fine. But still can't get past wmc setup.

TV setup always ends in TV setup cannot continue.

When I select guide it always says No Channels: No channels available in the guide.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:47 am

If you executed EPG123 and imported the guide data prior to TV Setup (after deleting ehome), then your database has been corrupted.

If you didn't execute EPG123 and/or import the guide data and you're crashing, then there may be something wrong with WMC ... suggest removing it, deleting ehome folder again, and reinstalling it.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:31 am

garyan2 wrote:If you executed EPG123 and imported the guide data prior to TV Setup (after deleting ehome), then your database has been corrupted.
I did this in order. I even ran epg123 a second and even third time.
If you didn't execute EPG123 and/or import the guide data and you're crashing, then there may be something wrong with WMC ... suggest removing it, deleting ehome folder again, and reinstalling it.
Uninstalling media center now
ok, now I'm booting into safe mode w/networking so I can remove ehome again.

Then I'll try again

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:33 am

Well, I partially got it going. I seem to have skipped step 4 on not accepting the guide agreement or whatever.

But now, the guide works fine, but I can't watch TV. something about not finding tuner.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:50 am

What tuners are you using? Also, may want to verify your tuners are enabled by editing the channel sources.
- Gary

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:24 pm

Ooops, I forgot to my my setup.

Win7 Ult x64
8gb ram
Xeon E3-1263L V3
Asus Q87M-E
HD Home Run HDHR3-CC

I have the channel displaying fine in HDHomeRun View program.

WMC setup found all three tuners during setup.

Not sure what you mean by editing the channel sources.

I checked the epg123 configuration and made sure my channel was labeled properly. AMCHD channel 711 stationID 78836

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:27 pm

I think what's he's meaning is, note a channel with the issue and do:

[settings]->[TV]->[Guide]->[Edit Channels]-> select channel ->[Edit Sources]

See if there are any tuners listed for the channel.
In the EPG123 configuration tool, did you set the option to "automatch channels?" I assume from above you did...
-Alan

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:02 am

webminster wrote:I think what's he's meaning is, note a channel with the issue and do:

[settings]->[TV]->[Guide]->[Edit Channels]-> select channel ->[Edit Sources]

See if there are any tuners listed for the channel.
In the EPG123 configuration tool, did you set the option to "automatch channels?" I assume from above you did...
Yes, the stations have tuners selected. It even has preview of channel and it shows nothing as well.

I am rerunning epg123 again right now.

hmm, windows is saying Windows Media Center Update in the middle of running epg123. Is this a bad thing? Do I need to do the whole process again? epg123 is stuck at Kicking off ReIndexSearchRoot ...

Now WMC says errors in last update. I don't think I updated WMC at all after uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

It finished and still says No TV signal detected for this channel.

also, windows update showed no updates available.

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:23 am

Well, I googled some more and people were saying firewall issues. I went to my firewall setting and first reset the firewall and same results, but when I enabled the firewall WMC started working again. Very strange.

Now what do I do? If I enable the firewall it will make WMC fail.

edit:

Okay, I went into firwall and added Windows Media Center to the firewall list, then enabled it for both public/private, but now it's doing the same thing and blocking it again.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:51 am

MarkJohnson wrote:Well, I googled some more and people were saying firewall issues. I went to my firewall setting and first reset the firewall and same results, but when I enabled the firewall WMC started working again. Very strange.

Now what do I do? If I enable the firewall it will make WMC fail.

edit:

Okay, I went into firwall and added Windows Media Center to the firewall list, then enabled it for both public/private, but now it's doing the same thing and blocking it again.
Every time I had suspected the firewall to be a cause of issues with my HDHomeruns, it turned out to be a red herring. The only thing I've seen similar to what you have going on is from here. A simple 'reboot' of the tuners.

The media center updates are harmless once the ehome directory has been cleared and the ToS denied... nothing to worry about there. If there are any other folks with the HDHR3-CC Prime, chime in on your experiences.
- Gary

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:06 am

I reset the tuner and the issue persists with firewall on.

I think it got removed when I uninstalled WMC and it didn't get reconfigured when I reinstalled it. For some reason it isn't working when I allow it in when I manually add it to the firewall..

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:17 am

MarkJohnson wrote:I reset the tuner and the issue persists with firewall on.

I think it got removed when I uninstalled WMC and it didn't get reconfigured when I reinstalled it. For some reason it isn't working when I allow it in when I manually add it to the firewall..
I think you just tickled a memory in the old brain. Since you uninstalled WMC and reinstalled it, I think you have to reinstall the HDHR software (though I never have for the Connects).

I suggest the following:
  • Uninstall the HDHomeRun software
  • Remove WMC and reboot
  • Delete ehome directory
  • Add WMC
  • Install HDHomeRun software
  • Install PlayReady??
  • Follow epg123 guide starting at Step 2...
- Gary

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:41 am

What do you mean by, "Inmstall PlayReady??" Are you asking me, or unsure, or ...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:01 am

If WMC asks to install PlayReady, or it is available as an option in [settings]->[Windows Media Center Setup]->[Install PlayReady], then install it.

Come to think of it, one thing that may be missing in that list is the Digital Cable Advisor ... that should be after PlayReady.
- Gary

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:20 am

garyan2 wrote:
MarkJohnson wrote:I reset the tuner and the issue persists with firewall on.

I think you just tickled a memory in the old brain. Since you uninstalled WMC and reinstalled it, I think you have to reinstall the HDHR software (though I never have for the Connects).

I suggest the following:
  • Uninstall the HDHomeRun software
  • Remove WMC and reboot
  • Delete ehome directory
  • Add WMC
  • Install HDHomeRun software
  • Install PlayReady??
  • Follow epg123 guide starting at Step 2...
That seems to do the video trick. Except no guide data now.

I didn't get a prompt for playready, but I think it is installed already. I then uninstalled and reinstalled it with no changes.

I installed cable adviser again as well. no changes.

I have video, but no guide data.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:28 am

Good. So now the big question ... do you have the automatch option selected in epg123? If it is not selected, then epg123 is not going to attach any stations to the tuner channels.

EDIT: an option to run it manually would be to run epg123Client.exe -match
- Gary

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:37 am

I just reran it again with the default settings and it seems to be working fine for now.

Thanks for the help.

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:29 am

I just went tjhrough WMC guide to record a Tuesday shouw (Halt and Catch Fire" As I forgot to when I set it up, and about sunday or so it reports no guide data in all entries.

I setup for epg123 for 2-weeks of guide data, but it doesn't seem to keep it updated regularly.

Is there a setting or setup step I missed?

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:59 am

MarkJohnson wrote:I just went tjhrough WMC guide to record a Tuesday shouw (Halt and Catch Fire" As I forgot to when I set it up, and about sunday or so it reports no guide data in all entries.

I setup for epg123 for 2-weeks of guide data, but it doesn't seem to keep it updated regularly.

Is there a setting or setup step I missed?
if relying on built in schedule task, that did not work for me, i did a manual schedule task daily and guide updates flawlessly, its exact copy of program schedule task set to highest privileges

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:31 am

I can't update this thing constantly. I'm on a headless home server and not using everyday. Not that I want to bother with it everyday.

I hope there's a fix or some kind of workaround.