WMC on Win10 Freeze After Wake From Sleep

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
jaydes44

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC on Win10 Freeze After Wake From Sleep

Post by jaydes44 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:26 am

I seemed to get WMC hack (v12) installed on Win10 properly on 7/29 to give it a try. Believe I can still roll back to Win8.1 within 30 days if I can't get this one resolved. Everything seemed great - actually seems a little better than on Win8.1 other than this one thing.

The problem is, whenever computer wakes from sleep (which is often), when I try to play a recorded show or live TV my entire computer locks up. The reset button doesn't even work, instead I have to hold power button 4 secs to turn off computer and then power back on. Prob can't continue to use like this, so looking for ideas.

1. Anyone have similar locking situation they resolved?
2. Any ideas things to try to fix it?
3. Could it be something with allowing some components to go low power, such as network adapter, USB, etc? Maybe I should start there?

Otherwise, seems to work great. Thanks in advance.

Have a Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5 w/latest BIOS (F10), 16G memory, HDHR3-CC Prime w/latest updates, if that helps.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:20 am

I suppose you could have a look through this one http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 35#p109135 and check if the Unblock Zip applies to you. If the zip was not unblocked, it will still be blocked. If it was installed without unblocking there are too many symptoms to list.

While you are in there what is the file name of the WMC that you downloaded and installed?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:06 am

jaydes44 wrote:Have a Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5 w/latest BIOS (F10)
Check your BIOS Update Instructions re.....Cold Boot, Remove Battery, Pull Jumper. I don't do these everyday, but I do remember there is always some type of Reset after Update.

jaydes44

Post by jaydes44 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:29 pm

Been using BIOS F10 for a while and did go in and verify everything still set properly. However, I may have missed unblocking the 7z file before unzipping. Thanks for pointing that out.

I guess for now I'm going to wait for the Win10 anniversary update since that may change everything, and looks like it started rolling out today. I'll try to remember to post back any results. Thanks again.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:49 pm

The first report of WMC working in RS1 just came in about 40 minutes ago. I don't speak French but it looks like he is in the US.

jaydes44

Post by jaydes44 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:52 am

Well, looks like Win10 Anniversary update killed WMC. Tried reinstalling v12, but WMC just won't open. I see your preliminary discussions on MDL, but I want to get ready for the olympics so going to roll back to Win8.1 for now.

I have another machine currently updating to Win10 Anniversary version and I'll mess with that one later this week.

jaydes44

Post by jaydes44 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Clean install of Win10 with Anniversary update, tried T-S's v8.6 and same as others with HDHR3-CC Prime saying on MDL - no tuners found. It did find OTA tuners on older SiliconDust OTA device, and appears to work fine, but obviously need the cable card tuners.

So for now, I'm back to my orig problem on main HTPC with Win10 w/out Anniversary update. Everything ok, except hard lock when trying to watch anything after wake from sleep. Recording still fine though, so going to mess with some BIOS and Windows sleep related settings for a bit, but will eventually need to roll back to Win8.1 before deadline if no luck.

I'll move over to MDL to follow things there since that seems to be the more active place and I see you're over there also Crash2009.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:41 pm

jaydes44 wrote:So for now, I'm back to my orig problem on main HTPC with Win10 w/out Anniversary update. Everything ok, except hard lock when trying to watch anything after wake from sleep. Recording still fine though, so going to mess with some BIOS and Windows sleep related settings for a bit, but will eventually need to roll back to Win8.1 before deadline if no luck.
Recently, a guy installed hijacked version ZERO. Start Recording Task was missing. I uploaded the Start Recording Task from my 10586. He imported the task into his OS. It worked. If you can figure out which task of yours is broken, and tell me. I could give you a copy of mine. All you would have to do is delete the broken task and import the working task. Or, if you have something working there you could export the working task and import into the non-working box.

One other time, i had a task causing me grief in 10586. I exported from Win7 and imported into Win10. 10 reconfigured the task by itself and it runs fine.

Bibbleq

Post by Bibbleq » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:47 pm

Hey,
Did you guys figure out something for tuners not working after sleep? This is the only issue I'm left with on aniversary + latest KB

Been digging through MDL thread but it's pretty hard to keep track of whats what :)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Bibbleq wrote:Did you guys figure out something for tuners not working after sleep?
No, didn't know it was an issue. I did notice that some of the WMC Services don't start well automatically. I forget ATM, how I set mine, but they appear to be working after sleeping all night.

Check Services/WMC or Services/WMP

Bibbleq

Post by Bibbleq » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:05 pm

Ah well, I'll report back if I get anywhere

Consistently I can tune to a channel fresh after booting but if I sleep then resume I can't select any channels - PC hard freezes (no blue screen, need to press power for 5 seconds).

Same behaviour for v12 install or v8.8.1 - tried clean installs, full PC reset & restored config. Will do a compare between a clean boot & resume from sleep of services to see if anything is different.

(Tuner is a TBS Quad DBV-T2 - updated drivers & checked event log for tuner related errors)

jaydes44

Post by jaydes44 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:15 pm

I found it, after changing BIOS settings back, then updating one-by-one and waking from sleep then watching live TV, I determined it was this...

RC6: Disabled (onboard graphics low power) - I changed this from Enabled to Disabled which stopped the computer locking.

I had the exact same symptoms you had with the 4-sec power button being only way to reboot. Maybe Win10 didn't like the graphics adapter going to sleep?
(FYI - I'm using onboard graphics - Intel HD Graphics 4600 - also motherboard is Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5 w/latest BIOS (F10))

I think I'm still going back to Win8.1 this week tho on my main computer since the Win10 Anniversary update broke CableCard tuners in US. Since the machine is now registered w/Win10 upgrade, I can always re-upgrade down the road if I want. And I'll still experiment and follow along in MDL with my secondary computer.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:50 pm

Bibbleq wrote:Hey,
Did you guys figure out something for tuners not working after sleep? This is the only issue I'm left with on aniversary + latest KB

Been digging through MDL thread but it's pretty hard to keep track of whats what :)
The Wake from Sleep thing (WMC's part of it) has been corrected/adjusted in the newer versions. v8.8.1 is the newest. I discussed it with T-S a couple days ago. That thread gets 100 posts /day. Start reading at Aug 21 and you should find the method to fix the problem manually, might be easier than upgrading to 8.8.1

BIOS and OS adjustments are mentioned as well.