Are recorded TV files kept when upgrading to Windows 10?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
mgsimmer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Are recorded TV files kept when upgrading to Windows 10?

Post by mgsimmer » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:03 pm

Hi,

Need to upgrade to W10 by the 29th. I want to see if V12 will work for me. Will the upgrade keep my 1.4TB of recorded TV files in place? If I restore W7, will they come back there again as well?

Thanks!

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:33 pm

The recorded file are user content, the windows 10 update should not touch them.
My recorded TV files are on a separate drive, but were not touched during the upgrade.
That does not mean you should not have backups :)

If you are using Media Center and want to be able to use it for a long time no matter what, I would clone your Windows 7 drive onto a new disk, then do the Windows 10 upgrade on the cloned drive.
Like that, even if v12 on W10 works, in the event a new version of windows 10 would break WMC, you could still go back to Windows 7 WMC in a pinch.

I have both the original W7 drive and the New W10 drive in my PC with dual boot setup, so I can start with either version with a single click. Like that if the anniversary update breaks anything in Windows 10 & WMV v12, I will still be able to use it until a fix hopefully comes up.

It helps of course that my recorded TV and movie library are on a separate drive, like that regardless of what OS drive I boot on, I have them available.

mgsimmer

Post by mgsimmer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:35 pm

Thanks. I imaged my W7 disk to another drive using Macrium. I then performed (today) the W10 upgrade in place from the original W7 drive. The Recorded TV file is still there. I'm thinking I'll wait for the anniversary update for W10 due on 8/2 before installing V12?

My understanding is that I can restore to W7 in 30 days (or later since I have the image), and reinstall W10 within a year from 7/29 because the W10 upgrade is now registered with Microsoft.

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:03 pm

mgsimmer wrote:I'm thinking I'll wait for the anniversary update for W10 due on 8/2 before installing V12?
I am not sure of the need to wait. Either the anniversary update will break v12 or it wont. installing v12 now or then wont change anything.
mgsimmer wrote:My understanding is that I can restore to W7 in 30 days (or later since I have the image), and reinstall W10 within a year from 7/29 because the W10 upgrade is now registered with Microsoft.
Given you closed your W7 drive before doing the W10 upgrade, you don't need to rely on the 30 days revert to W7 feature. You can go back to windows 7 anytime using your cloned drive.

You now have two drives, one with W7 and one with W10, you can use either any time you want :)