Downloading TV setup data - old transponder list

DainHarper

HTPC Specs: Show details

Downloading TV setup data - old transponder list

Post by DainHarper » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:03 pm

So, I'm making some assumptions about how the MS solution works, so please correct me at any time. As I understand it:

* The initial section of 'Set up TV signal' asks where I am, then uses this information to define the satellite and terrestrial transmitters.
* From this (especially/specifically for sat) it downloads a list of transponders to scan.
* This list s out of date, and (as with the EPG) MS don't give two hoots.
* After the scan completes, I have to go through KingOfSat or the like and manual scan every one that may contain a Freesat signal.

Is that correct? Since I am now in the middle of a rebuild, and trying out the EPG123 software, be really nice if there was a way to inject an updated list to the process (by ALT-tab between stages, or pasting a new file in, or changing hosts file to point to a new providers, whatever). Does such a thing exist?

Jim

DainHarper

Post by DainHarper » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:04 pm

Only reference I found was this: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=6515 but it immediately starts discussing the Hauppauge cards, and other media software, and I lost the threads of the discussion.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:38 pm

DainHarper wrote:So, I'm making some assumptions about how the MS solution works, so please correct me at any time. As I understand it:

* The initial section of 'Set up TV signal' asks where I am, then uses this information to define the satellite and terrestrial transmitters.
* From this (especially/specifically for sat) it downloads a list of transponders to scan.
* This list s out of date, and (as with the EPG) MS don't give two hoots. ***1, ***2
* After the scan completes, I have to go through KingOfSat or the like and manual scan every one that may contain a Freesat signal. ***2

Is that correct? Since I am now in the middle of a rebuild, and trying out the EPG123 software, be really nice if there was a way to inject an updated list to the process (by ALT-tab between stages, or pasting a new file in, or changing hosts file to point to a new providers, whatever). Does such a thing exist?

Jim
First of all, I don't know much about satellite. However, I have setup WMC a time or two. Possibly, one or two of the "deeper layers of Setup" will give you the setup requirements you require.

Pic013 ***1 If the list is out of date or otherwise incorrect...you can select a different Region. I have never had to do this so I am unsure what Setup Page pops up next.

Pic016 ***2 You can also tell WMC to Scan Again or let me configure manually

Pic020 I believe this section is to match your EPG to the Signal you setup in pic013 and Pic016 I only setup EPG123 as a test, one time only. I don't remember if you get this choice with EPG123
Attachments
SetupCustom013.jpg
SetupCustom016.jpg
SetupCustom020.jpg

DainHarper

Post by DainHarper » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Its not the hardware that's the problem, or the region (it knows my BBC channel is BBC One East (West)). It's clearly that the automatic scan doesn't include all the transponders, as these change regularly.
thx tho

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Does this do anything for you?

http://satellites-xml.eu

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:17 pm

This was discussed on the original tgb.com site - I never managed to get an edited transponder list inserted during setup - except if I went through TV setup without internet access being available. In that case, it used the default transponder list that's located in the ehome folder somewhere.

You can just update that file and then run through tv setup.

I seem to remember that it caused issues with setting up epg data though, possibly not a problem if you were to go with epg123, or an xmltv file generated with mc2xml....
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.