Anniversary Update Compatibility

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:21 pm

mlcarson wrote:If premium channels don't work (ie those with DRM), it's not much of a solution since that's the one big thing that distinguishes WMC from every other application that supports cable cards.
Yeah I know, however this workaround is an improvement over No Tuner At All. Which at present is all you have to look forward to, if you install 14393

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:07 am

it sounds to me that Microsoft is actively trying to prevent the initiative of our community to prolong the life of our beloved WMC. I have disabled the windows update service as a result. But this concerns me at the same time. It looks to me that each major update will continue to destroy the efforts of those individuals that keep trying to keep it alive. So we either need to accept the future or hold on to the past and remain vulnerable. Thoughts?

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:00 pm

What's the advantage of running WMC on Windows 10, if you have to disable Windows Updates or run the risk that WMC can break any time Microsoft distributes an update?

We use WMC as our whole home DVR, and would not want to risk have WMC offline because a Windows Update breaks WMC and we have to wait for someone to figure out a way to get it completely working again (tuners, DRM, Xbox 360 extenders, ...).

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:28 pm

SpencerC wrote:it sounds to me that Microsoft is actively trying to prevent the initiative of our community to prolong the life of our beloved WMC. I have disabled the windows update service as a result. But this concerns me at the same time. It looks to me that each major update will continue to destroy the efforts of those individuals that keep trying to keep it alive. So we either need to accept the future or hold on to the past and remain vulnerable. Thoughts?
Whether is it intentional, or just that the new stuff they come up with or need to do is not compatible with keeping WMC alive, you are right, that most likely there wont be any long term solution.

As far as I am concerned not updating is not a solution, so I am back to Windows 7 and will keep looking for an alternate solution in the few years that will give me.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:17 pm

I will say that I've noticed XB360 extenders seem to respond faster compared to 7 & 8. Also if you have to redo a Win 7 reinstall, be prepared for waiting for quite a while for it to display the initial updates that need to be installed.
bob_p wrote:What's the advantage of running WMC on Windows 10, if you have to disable Windows Updates or run the risk that WMC can break any time Microsoft distributes an update?

We use WMC as our whole home DVR, and would not want to risk have WMC offline because a Windows Update breaks WMC and we have to wait for someone to figure out a way to get it completely working again (tuners, DRM, Xbox 360 extenders, ...).

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:19 pm

choliscott wrote:. Also if you have to redo a Win 7 reinstall, be prepared for waiting for quite a while for it to display the initial updates that need to be installed.
Or use a slip-streamed installation disk with all the updates included and not wait at all ;)
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:25 pm

bob_p wrote:What's the advantage of running WMC on Windows 10, if you have to disable Windows Updates or run the risk that WMC can break any time Microsoft distributes an update?

Nobody is saying there is an advantage today. When Win7 goes under like XP just did, perhaps it will look more attractive. I for one am glad that the men working on BIOS cracks for the ATI DCT back in 2003-2007 did not listen to any of the negativity of the time.

Saintor

Post by Saintor » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:00 am

Regarding installing WMC on a $100 Lenovo Idea 300 Stock PC, well I did it and I now have a network of 3 PC with WMC connected to my OTA antenna.

I must have endured every issue. I use v12, 64-bit on the 2 desktops and 32-bit on the 32-bit.

I absolutely love the current set-up.

I almost came this close to buy a Tablo or ChannelMaster DVR... but no more. :thumbup:

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:02 am

Scallica wrote:
choliscott wrote:. Also if you have to redo a Win 7 reinstall, be prepared for waiting for quite a while for it to display the initial updates that need to be installed.
Or use a slip-streamed installation disk with all the updates included and not wait at all ;)
Yea, EXACTLY.... Your best bet is to go on your local Torrent site...yes, torrent site and look for Windows 7 (x86 or x64), you will find unmolested (uncracked), slipstream isos... When I reinstall Windows 7, I always check there first, there are few guys who do this all time. And they might include a crack but, it's not installed, so you can just delete it.

Of course you could make your own... Or wait the 3-6 hours for it to make its inventory of updates to find out you have 402 updates that take another 2 hours to install and update....oh, by the way, you'll have to do this 3-4 times... (at least the 2nd time only takes about 20 min or so)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

lindyds

Post by lindyds » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:18 pm

Sucky move by Microsoft! I let my laptop update to the Anniversary Edition and got sick of crapping around and bit the bullet and moved to NextPVR. The setup was a little more complicated than WMC but it seems to work well as long as you use the right codecs.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:45 pm

lindyds wrote:Sucky move by Microsoft! I let my laptop update to the Anniversary Edition and got sick of crapping around and bit the bullet and moved to NextPVR. The setup was a little more complicated than WMC but it seems to work well as long as you use the right codecs.
Are you using an OTA or Cable Card Tuner?

If you type winver into cortana, what is your build number?

groucho111

Post by groucho111 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:39 am

I have WMC 10 installed on a laptop in my office. I use it as my TV while I work from home on my desktop PC. I forgot to turn the laptop off last night. when I went into my office early this morning Win 10 was updating. After the update, WMC 10 is gone!

I went to the c:\ drive and found that there was a windows.old folder similar to after the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. Win 10 is in that windows.old folder. So the update. So it is apparent that the update uninstalled WMC 10.

I am going to re-install it now and see how things go.

PS-I have WMC 10 installed on my personal desktop PC also. Maybe it didn't update the same? not sure. anyway, WMC 10 is still installed on it.

Steve

[Moderator note: topic merged; search before posting]

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:21 pm

groucho111 wrote:I have WMC 10 installed on a laptop in my office. I use it as my TV while I work from home on my desktop PC. I forgot to turn the laptop off last night. when I went into my office early this morning Win 10 was updating. After the update, WMC 10 is gone!

I went to the c:\ drive and found that there was a windows.old folder similar to after the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. Win 10 is in that windows.old folder. So the update. So it is apparent that the update uninstalled WMC 10.

I am going to re-install it now and see how things go.

PS-I have WMC 10 installed on my personal desktop PC also. Maybe it didn't update the same? not sure. anyway, WMC 10 is still installed on it.

Steve

[Moderator note: topic merged; search before posting]
If you're on OTA, you can fix this by using the updated installers from mydigitallife

If you're on Tuners, there is no fix. Either don't update to the Anniversary update or move back to prior OS.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:55 pm

andy_d wrote:
groucho111 wrote:I have WMC 10 installed on a laptop in my office. I use it as my TV while I work from home on my desktop PC. I forgot to turn the laptop off last night. when I went into my office early this morning Win 10 was updating. After the update, WMC 10 is gone!
If you're on OTA, you can fix this by using the updated installers from mydigitallife. If you're on (edit..CableCard) Tuners, there is no fix. Either don't update to the Anniversary update or move back to prior OS.
There is actually a workaround for CableCard Tuners that are NOT using a TA. WMP, Kodi-Emby-Etc., as well as Virtual Tuners in WMC Using DVBLink. All of these workarounds will not play any DRM channels such as Starz-HBO-Etc
Attachments
14393_077.jpg
14393_087.jpg
14393_097.jpg
Last edited by Crash2009 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
andy_d wrote:
If you're on OTA, you can fix this by using the updated installers from mydigitallife. If you're on (edit..CableCard) Tuners, there is no fix. Either don't update to the Anniversary update or move back to prior OS.
There is actually a workaround for CableCard Tuners that are NOT using a TA. WMP, Kodi-Emby-Etc., as well as Virtual Tuners in WMC Using DVBLink. All of these workarounds will not play any DRM channels such as Starz-HBO-Etc
There is? I missed it. What is TA?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:58 pm

I also give up on DRM - for those channels, I'll just deal with the streams or use the Shield with HDR in a pinch

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:05 pm

TA=Tuning Adapter, STA-1520 is a common model, in the SDV markets.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:12 pm

andy_d wrote:I also give up on DRM - for those channels, I'll just deal with the streams or use the Shield with HDR in a pinch
Have you tried the GO versions, from your cable company, in 14393? They are likely set to copy-never but you might be able to watch. Personally I like the DVBLink/WMC so I can Schedule and Record.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:09 pm

Looks like Comcast has abandoned the Starz Streaming service and opened up their own.

This might be the only way to get protected on 14393 at the moment. Nice EPG, 1 click and I'm watching The 5th Wave, Channel 1980 Starz just as smooth as the HDHR-3CC or a STB. 14393 as a Player plays this kind of protected, fine. Yeah, I know....

"But I want Starz in WMC".

Make yourself useful...figure out how to Record this.
Attachments
14393_098.jpg
14393_099.jpg
14393_100.jpg

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:15 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
andy_d wrote:I also give up on DRM - for those channels, I'll just deal with the streams or use the Shield with HDR in a pinch
Have you tried the GO versions, from your cable company, in 14393? They are likely set to copy-never but you might be able to watch. Personally I like the DVBLink/WMC so I can Schedule and Record.
You mean like HBO Go through a web browser? Those are fine but I would likely use my Shield to watch through an app instead.

So it works with tuners now using the latest version from T-S? My issue originally had to do with WMC not finding the tuners.