Anniversary Update Compatibility

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
scrambler

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by scrambler » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:57 pm

wmc_nut wrote:I downloaded V8.6 and it installed OK.
And - bonus it runs too !!
Forgive my ignorance - is this an earlier version of WMC?
Thank you so much for the response.
The one you initially downloaded 10.0.10134.0v2.1 was version 2 and was VERY old.
The latest version of the main thread is actually v12 and is linked to from the post below
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1200602

But one of the Forum member (T-S) created a parallel version to v12 that has a different installer and is called 8.6

tdarlington3

Post by tdarlington3 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:43 pm

I got V8.6 to work !!!

It does have a VERY green cast when displaying the menus (OK when playing a show).

Is that normal for this Version?

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:47 pm

tdarlington3 wrote:I got V8.6 to work !!!

It does have a VERY green cast when displaying the menus (OK when playing a show).

If you had taken the time to read the post that has the download link, you would have seen the message below :)

"By default it installs my green skinned WMC (if you don't want/like it, just rename ehres.dll to ehres.green.dll, and ehres.blue.dll to ehres.dll, before clicking on the installer)"

Favog

Post by Favog » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:34 am

I had WMC (And NextPVR and PotPlayer and Kodi) working fine under Win10 with my ATI TV Wonder Pro 650 (PCIE). (Windows Media Center from Windows 10 Preview (build 10.0.10134.0)
ported for manual install on Windows 10 RTM (build 10.10240.16384) But then I got the urge to experiment, so I created an Anniversary Update CD and (after carefully backing up my C: drive with Acronis) I updated my system. The first thing I noticed was that the Anniversary Edition killed my carefully recreated Win7 gadgets sidebar, but with a bit of effort I put it back. Not exactly the same, but close enough. Then I noticed WMC had been totally wiped out. And it wouldn't reinstall! And now I have carefully backed up the Anniversary installation of Win10 and reverted to my much more friendly pre-anniversary installation.

Weird thing is, even now that I've reverted to the previous version of Win10, I can't get NextPVR to re-scan for channels. Its lineup doesn't include channel 5, my local NBC station (which has call letters WMC -- how about that!) and I want to add it to the list. But when I try, I get "Unable to start device / Device failed to start." WMC (that's Windows Media Center, not the station) finds channel 5 just fine, and so does PotPlayer. I just wish I could figure out what has happened since I installed NextPVR to render it unable to scan for channels. It's working just fine with the channels it knows about -- it just won't look for more.

But that's not the point of my post. I merely wanted you to know that installing the Anniversary update wiped Windows Media Center off my computer.

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:15 am

scrambler wrote:
tdarlington3 wrote:I got V8.6 to work !!!

If you had taken the time to read the post that has the download link, you would have seen the message below :)

"By default it installs my green skinned WMC (if you don't want/like it, just rename ehres.dll to ehres.green.dll, and ehres.blue.dll to ehres.dll, before clicking on the installer)"
By the way there is now an 8.7 version that has a Blue and Green installer. Available at the same location as the previous 8.6

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:31 am

yup wmc is definitely working with anniversary update after uninstall and reinstall of wmc
but there is no compelling reason to update if working already, it just make things more difficult like installing legacy hardware with unsigned drivers

i set up my machine as a metered connection and pretty much turned off windows updates as much as i can, so probably ok in the future since i only use atsc tuners, at least until 4k content becomes mainstream in a couple years making me want to switch to something else

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:52 am

Crash2009 wrote:The little grey one has an almost invisible check mark that has to be removed first, then click the big one on the right.
I did the same thing as you today. The correct way to do this is to uncheck the little invisible one and then click on the gray button on the left do not click big button on the right.

wmc_nut

Post by wmc_nut » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:39 am

Some follow up comments.
I have a TV Tuner Card.
The WMC scan has not picked up all the TV stations whereas before it scanned in all of them.
I don't know if it's WMC version 8.6 or Windows 10 1607 but I now get about a 1 or 2 second time delay on the sound on all TV channels.
Randomly the sound starts stuttering/repeating itself in tiny bursts.
Randomly the picture freezes.
I have to close and start WMC again
Very frustrating.

shawndavis4

Post by shawndavis4 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade gave me a gift yesterday, it silently removed WMC. After the upgrade and re-installing WMC package v12, I cannot get WMC to detect any tuners. I re-installed Ceton drivers (for InfiniTV 6 pcie) multiple times and still nothing. Everything is working fine with MediaPortal and Kodi. So I'll be using MediaPortal for now until I can sort out the mess or I build another machine and dedicate the old one to Windows 7 WMC.

For those that want Windows 10 Anniversary edition, don't upgrade unless you have another source for viewing and recording TV.

Oh, I used c:\windows\ehome\ehprivjob.exe /OCURDiscovery to discover tuners from the command line. WMC see all 6 tuners but reports an error 0x80070002 for each. I researched the error and it seems to apply to failed updates in general. But nothing specifically to WMC.
Last edited by shawndavis4 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggantt

Post by ggantt » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Just wanted to share my experience...

I installed the Windows Anniversary update unwittingly, thinking it was just another update and realized after a couple of restarts this was something more. Once the update was complete, I immediately checked WMC and found that it had been removed. Checking this thread, I then reinstalled WMC v12 and encountered the issue where WMC fails to start, throwing an ehshell.exe exception in the event log. I uninstalled WMC v12, restarted and then installed WMC v8.6 where the installation was successful enabling me to launch WMC. I then found WMC would not detect my HDHR3-CC network tuner even though the tuner is accessible through the HDHR VIEW application.

At that point I reverted Windows 10 back to the previous release where WMC was there, however I found in WMC that I had to rediscover my tuner and restore all previously scheduled programs. So I'm back up and running with WMC v12 on the previous version of Windows 10 and figure I'll disable Windows updates until there's a working WMC-Anniversary solution. I'm hoping there's enough interest in maintaining WMC on Windows 10 where I won't have to wait long.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:13 pm

Working on a fix for Redstone/.....Needs some testing...Finally found someone with some DRM knowhow.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1261011

Favog

Post by Favog » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:19 pm

Favog wrote:I had WMC (And NextPVR and PotPlayer and Kodi) working fine under Win10 with my ATI TV Wonder Pro 650 (PCIE). (Windows Media Center from Windows 10 Preview (build 10.0.10134.0)
ported for manual install on Windows 10 RTM (build 10.10240.16384) But then I got the urge to experiment, so I created an Anniversary Update CD and (after carefully backing up my C: drive with Acronis) I updated my system. The first thing I noticed was that the Anniversary Edition killed my carefully recreated Win7 gadgets sidebar, but with a bit of effort I put it back. Not exactly the same, but close enough. Then I noticed WMC had been totally wiped out. And it wouldn't reinstall! And now I have carefully backed up the Anniversary installation of Win10 and reverted to my much more friendly pre-anniversary installation.

Weird thing is, even now that I've reverted to the previous version of Win10, I can't get NextPVR to re-scan for channels. Its lineup doesn't include channel 5, my local NBC station (which has call letters WMC -- how about that!) and I want to add it to the list. But when I try, I get "Unable to start device / Device failed to start." WMC (that's Windows Media Center, not the station) finds channel 5 just fine, and so does PotPlayer. I just wish I could figure out what has happened since I installed NextPVR to render it unable to scan for channels. It's working just fine with the channels it knows about -- it just won't look for more.

But that's not the point of my post. I merely wanted you to know that installing the Anniversary update wiped Windows Media Center off my computer.
A follow-up:

I restored (from Acronis backup) my Anniversary installation of Win10, the one that had deleted Windows Media Center. Using info I found in this discussion, I downloaded WindowsMediaCenter_6.exe, which is a download program itself, but I was careful about what I clicked on and pretty soon I had downloaded WindowsMediaCenter_6.7z. I unpacked and installed it and now I'm running WMC v.6.3.9600.16384 and it's all working just fine under Win10 Anniversary Edition. Haven't detected any problems yet, anyway.

As for NextPVR not scanning -- if anybody's interested -- I had to go into "services" and stop the "NPVR Recording Service." After I did that, NextPVR re-scanned local channels, picked up a few that it hadn't seen whenever I set it up the first time, and now Kodi is controlling NextPVR nicely under Win10 Anniversary Edition. If you're unaware, NextPVR is a barebones tuner which Kodi manages while providing bells and whistles. I got into NextPVR and Kodi back when I thought there was no chance of getting WMC to work under Win10 and I needed an alternative. Turns out I needn't have worried, but I didn't know that then, and now I have choices I didn't have before. I even have PotPlayer as a third option. Will be interesting to see which client I settle on and I have to say that right now Kodi is looking pretty good. Could be just the novelty of it, though.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:31 pm

hansolo89 wrote:yup WMC is definitely working with anniversary update after uninstall and reinstall of WMC
but there is no compelling reason to update if working already, it just make things more difficult like installing legacy hardware with unsigned drivers

i set up my machine as a metered connection and pretty much turned off windows updates as much as i can, so probably ok in the future since i only use atsc tuners, at least until 4k content becomes mainstream in a couple years making me want to switch to something else
Disable the Update Service works well also. Might even be the preferred method.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:34 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Working on a fix for Redstone/.....Needs some testing...Finally found someone with some DRM knowhow.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1261011
OTA Tuners have been working fine without any extra effort. CableCard Tuners are not working at the moment, with or without DRM channels

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:28 pm

shawndavis4 wrote:Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade gave me a gift yesterday, it silently removed WMC. After the upgrade and re-installing WMC package v12, I cannot get WMC to detect any tuners. I re-installed Ceton drivers (for InfiniTV 6 pcie) multiple times and still nothing. Everything is working fine with MediaPortal and Kodi. So I'll be using MediaPortal for now until I can sort out the mess or I build another machine and dedicate the old one to Windows 7 WMC.

For those that want Windows 10 Anniversary edition, don't upgrade unless you have another source for viewing and recording TV.

Oh, I used c:\windows\ehome\ehprivjob.exe /OCURDiscovery to discover tuners from the command line. WMC see all 6 tuners but reports an error 0x80070002 for each. I researched the error and it seems to apply to failed updates in general. But nothing specifically to WMC.
Yep in the same boat.... People are looking into it... Sigh... too bad.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

bb193

Post by bb193 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:20 pm

I thought I'd jot down my experience so far. I have two Win 10 Pro PCs with WMC installed and working (WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0). They both use elderly (but different) Hauppauge dual tuner DVB-T tuners to view UK OTA DVB-T Freeview.

I updated one (with NOVA-T-500 internal card) with the anniversary update, and it obviously removed WMC. I reinstalled it, and although it looked fine, it silently failed on start-up. There were the standard messages in the event viewer reported earlier in the thread. I reinstated the previous Win 10 build and everything was OK again.

All the comments in this thread encouraged me to have another go, and so I tried with my other PC (with a Nova-TD Duet USB tuner). This time, for the reinstall, I tried with the V8.6 and I'm afraid I got messages about paths not being found. I went beck the original installation (10.0.10134.0) and it worked! WMC seems to be working as before. :clap:

So today I came back to my main PC (with NOVA-T-500 internal card) and enthused with confidence, I had another go. Once again, It is failing with errors in the Event Log. :(

So I have two PCs updated to the anniversary update and one works and the other one doesn't. Work in progress. :think:

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:21 pm

I went back on the machine that was having the issue earlier and did a fresh re-install of Windows and was able to get my WMC installation working again. So I now have multiple machines on the Anniversary update running WMC although I do not have any CableCard reliant tuners in my setup.

bb193

Post by bb193 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:39 pm

bb193 wrote:I thought I'd jot down my experience so far. I have two Win 10 Pro PCs with WMC installed and working (WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0). They both use elderly (but different) Hauppauge dual tuner DVB-T tuners to view UK OTA DVB-T Freeview.

I updated one (with NOVA-T-500 internal card) with the anniversary update, and it obviously removed WMC. I reinstalled it, and although it looked fine, it silently failed on start-up. There were the standard messages in the event viewer reported earlier in the thread. I reinstated the previous Win 10 build and everything was OK again.

All the comments in this thread encouraged me to have another go, and so I tried with my other PC (with a Nova-TD Duet USB tuner). This time, for the reinstall, I tried with the V8.6 and I'm afraid I got messages about paths not being found. I went beck the original installation (10.0.10134.0) and it worked! WMC seems to be working as before. :clap:

So today I came back to my main PC (with NOVA-T-500 internal card) and enthused with confidence, I had another go. Once again, It is failing with errors in the Event Log. :(

So I have two PCs updated to the anniversary update and one works and the other one doesn't. Work in progress. :think:
Out of some crazy madness, I tried installing 8.6 on my broken WMC - and it worked. As I hadn't expected it to work, it was all green, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled blue 8.7 - and that worked too. I also seem to have gained 14 day EPG on some of the commercial channels (not all and not BBC channels) - I thought I was doomed forever to use the 7 day OTA epg from Freeview.

I'm not sure why 8.6/7 don't seem to work on both PCs - but as of now, I have two anniversary update PCs with WMC working - even if they are both slightly different!

Thanks to everyone for their help - WMC limps on for a bit longer, as a result of the efforts of everyone on this site :)

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:44 pm

wmc_nut wrote:Some follow up comments.
I have a TV Tuner Card.
The WMC scan has not picked up all the TV stations whereas before it scanned in all of them.
I don't know if it's WMC version 8.6 or Windows 10 1607 but I now get about a 1 or 2 second time delay on the sound on all TV channels.
Randomly the sound starts stuttering/repeating itself in tiny bursts.
Randomly the picture freezes.
I have to close and start WMC again
Very frustrating.
A hunch from having experienced similar issues even in win 7: check your power saving profile settings. When all the CPU cores are put to sleep sometimes they take too long to wake up for each chunk of audio/video. Happens more with streaming to extenders and ironically I think it happens more with a faster CPU that is more likely to be idle enough to be put to sleep while streaming.

bb193

Post by bb193 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:53 am

bb193 wrote:
bb193 wrote:I thought I'd jot down my experience so far. I have two Win 10 Pro PCs with WMC installed and working (WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0). They both use elderly (but different) Hauppauge dual tuner DVB-T tuners to view UK OTA DVB-T Freeview.

Out of some crazy madness, I tried installing 8.6 on my broken WMC - and it worked. As I hadn't expected it to work, it was all green, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled blue 8.7 - and that worked too. I also seem to have gained 14 day EPG on some of the commercial channels (not all and not BBC channels) - I thought I was doomed forever to use the 7 day OTA epg from Freeview.

I'm not sure why 8.6/7 don't seem to work on both PCs - but as of now, I have two anniversary update PCs with WMC working - even if they are both slightly different!

Thanks to everyone for their help - WMC limps on for a bit longer, as a result of the efforts of everyone on this site :)
I tried V8.7 again, and it works on both PCs, sweet as a nut.

I think possibly the first time I got a 'corrupted' download, probably as a result of not following the instructions - in particular making sure the invisible tick for download is unticked and also unblocking the downloaded file before unzipping.

Many thanks to everyone who helped - I'm very grateful :)